Cracking in Pirelli AS tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
johnd

Post by johnd »

My SD has 18" wheels factory-fitted with Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS tyres. These have done around 19K miles but still have ca 5mm tread left. However, there is now pronounced cracking _between_ the treads in at least a couple of places. Difficult to know how deep this goes and I will get it looked at by my OPC, but probably going to be a day or two before I can get there. Talking to the OPC by phone, it sounded like this is a known issue with this make/size/etc of tyre so best avoided in future I guess.

Anyone else encountered this? What was the diagnosis - immediate replacement?

Edit: Another email from my OPC clarifies that my only option to comply with Porsche guidelines (other than replacing all 4 tyres) is to replace one or both fronts with more Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS tyres (N0 spec, whatever that is).
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

IMG_2002.JPG

Pirelli PZeros on my Cayman are cracking. As a weekend car, is stood for long periods so rubber tends to dry out. Also some tyre dressings can cause drying out and cracking. Still lots of tread so loathed to change but passed MOT with OPC last year-will see what happens at next MOT.

IMG_2004.JPG

Paul

Post by Paul »

๐Ÿ˜‰ I heard the Pirellis had a thinner tread this wekend.....Vettel was moaning!๐Ÿ˜‚
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Zinzan

Post by Zinzan »

There is a long thread about Pirelli P Zeros cracking over on Pistonheads (under Porsche Bobster/Cayman) which is worth checking out. Apparently the N0 version of these tyres had some manufacturing issues resulting in cracking and several posters said that Pirelli had replaced them. The latest N1 version are different and should not have the same problem.
Gone: Macan S petrol
Gone: Boxster S:
Now: 911 (991.2) Carrera S
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Zinzan wrote: โ†‘Mon May 14, 2018 5:14 pm There is a long thread about Pirelli P Zeros cracking over on Pistonheads (under Porsche Bobster/Cayman) which is worth checking out. Apparently the N0 version of these tyres had some manufacturing issues resulting in cracking and several posters said that Pirelli had replaced them. The latest N1 version are different and should not have the same problem.
Thanks - have just read the article and have sent an email to Pirelli UK customer services. Nothing ventured nothing gained...................but some have had their tyres replaced FOC. :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Paul wrote: โ†‘Mon May 14, 2018 5:01 pm ๐Ÿ˜‰ I heard the Pirellis had a thinner tread this wekend.....Vettel was moaning!๐Ÿ˜‚

Poor old Sebastian! :cry:

I'd like to see Vettel and Hamilton battling it out right up to the final race of the season. ๐Ÿ
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

B737NGWS wrote: โ†‘Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 pm
Zinzan wrote: โ†‘Mon May 14, 2018 5:14 pm There is a long thread about Pirelli P Zeros cracking over on Pistonheads (under Porsche Bobster/Cayman) which is worth checking out. Apparently the N0 version of these tyres had some manufacturing issues resulting in cracking and several posters said that Pirelli had replaced them. The latest N1 version are different and should not have the same problem.
Thanks - have just read the article and have sent an email to Pirelli UK customer services. Nothing ventured nothing gained...................but some have had their tyres replaced FOC. :D
I got mine done ! (on a Boxster) But after that they started issuing the stock reply - 'They all do that' there is nothing wrong !
Taz

Post by Taz »

Had the same issue with the Yokohama tyres on my previous Cayenne. A friend of mine is in the tyre business and suggested that some manufacturers have tyres in store for quite a while before they are fitted, so are much older than the car.
So when is this โ€˜old enough to know betterโ€™ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Taz wrote: โ†‘Mon May 14, 2018 11:44 pm Had the same issue with the Yokohama tyres on my previous Cayenne. A friend of mine is in the tyre business and suggested that some manufacturers have tyres in store for quite a while before they are fitted, so are much older than the car.
The manufacturing date is stamped on the sidewall of the tyre, so it's easy to check.

I wonder if the issue equally affects tyres on cars that are parked outside or in a garage. Sunlight certainly accelerates deterioration of rubber as does ageing of course.

It's strange to see cracking within the tread blocks rather than the sidewalls.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
johnd

Post by johnd »

Nuclear Nick wrote: โ†‘Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 am It's strange to see cracking within the tread blocks rather than the sidewalls.
Yes, that what I thought. I'll see if I can get a picture. Did wonder whether it might conceivably be pothole damage of which we have more than our fair share around here, eg if the sharp edge of a large pothole caught the main part of the tread maybe just of-centre at reasonable speed.

Temperature really shouldn't be an issue - these are Scorpion Verde AS tyres!
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly