Huge Cost for Wheel Alignment

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

:shock: :shock:

Just had the GTS into the OPC for a wheel alignment.

There has been some confusion as their system had it in for a check up just to look at the wheels :x

So they can't do it today and I over on a long drive fro a couple of days. More wear on the front outside shoulders. :(

Anyway, they would have to rebook it in because it has lane departure cameras and AAC they say that would add 3 to 4 hours onto the front wheel alignment :o

Initial quote being over £500 for front wheel alignment.

Hmmmmm... seems an extremely inflated price for a wheel alignment. Extraordinary in fact. Unless anyone on here tells me that is normal.

I guess I will be going to Micheldever
Last edited by Tall Phil on Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTS \o/ - sold :(

Paul

Post by Paul »

Had mine done (4 wheels) foc by Dick Lovett Bristol recently.
It think they had invested in some new laser 4 wheel kit and were running a promo.
£500 is taking the p1ss - any proper tyre place will be charging under £100 for 4 wheels alignment. Adjustment may be extra and camera alignment an added complication but I would try there first.

Here you go, as an example...

https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/consume ... -alignment
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Agree with Paul, just had full four wheel alignment through ATS on wife's Land Rover £64.99. Maybe I am too simplistic in my thinking here but unless the cameras and sensors are on the actual wheels 🤔 Should it make such an impact to the cost?
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
VanB

Post by VanB »

Porsche really know how to do themselves a massive disservice quoting £500 for a front wheel alignment. That is simply usurous and I would definitely look elsewhere. I know Porsche owners are generally seen as being reasonably well-off but there is no need to squander money on overinflated pricing for simple services like a wheel alignment.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

I have no intention of taking them up on their offer :lol:

What I find sad is that there are people who do not have a scooby about mechanics and would not be able to challenge that; therefore, being taken advantage of. :(
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Retired

Post by Retired »

When I had a Macan I had a new windscreen fitted. My Macan had lane departure and the dynamic headlight system fitted.

Apparently for these (and maybe other) systems to work correctly the tracking / alignment and camera (on windscreen) need to be set up to work together.

Actually had two windscreens, each fitted by a different OPC and both insisted on the the need to do this.

Suspect Micheldever and the like won't be able to do this.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Probably ( well for me anyway) a good enough reason to resist all the extra gizmos and stick to using eyes and brain. Until of course they start to fail 🤕
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Col M

Post by Col M »

Retired wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:44 pm When I had a Macan I had a new windscreen fitted. My Macan had lane departure and the dynamic headlight system fitted.

Apparently for these (and maybe other) systems to work correctly the tracking / alignment and camera (on windscreen) need to be set up to work together.

Actually had two windscreens, each fitted by a different OPC and both insisted on the the need to do this.

Suspect Micheldever and the like won't be able to do this.
Yes with my two screen replacements, the November one recalibration was £150, in Feb it was £480...as wheel alignment had been added to the process. No wonder Admiral upped the quote for renewal by £300 in April
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Had 2 new front tyres fitted to my Macan a couple of months ago, full wheel alignment done at my local OPC.
The alignment was circa. £160
I also have lange change/departure system, no mention if the extra charge by my OPC.!!!!!
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
bilun777

Post by bilun777 »

My OPC quoted a special price of £150 after they'd informed me my macan was slightly toeing out.
A local garage "lasered" mine for £60.
Nice cup of tea and biscuits while I waited as well. :)
Sapphire blue SD,Luxor Beige,Delivered Nov 16.