Replaced boots but the turbo drove awfully

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Hi all. I've just changed all four tyres on my turbo. I went with the mich latitude 21inch.
My car instantly went from one of the best handling cars to one of the worst. It was jittery, the ride was bouncy and cornering was awful.
I've revisited the tyre fitter twice with no difference noticed.. At one point, it felt so bad I even thought I'd fell into the transfer box gate issue..

However, and really its a note for other nuggets like myself.. I decided last night whilst driving to raise the air suspension, turn off the suspension pasm I think its called. Let the car drive for a couple of mins then reapply them to my original settings. Boom.. The car is back to handling and driving fantastic.

It's probably a standard thing to do but never having had air suspension before it never dawned on me that the Jack's lifting the car may have unbalanced the settings etc.

Anyway.. I have my turbo back with new boots....
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

That's interesting, I have air and had a number of new tyres but not all at once, have never noticed any difference, the tyres have all been replaced at OPC, wonder if it is a routine action for them?
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Guy

Post by Guy »

uktivo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:19 am I decided last night whilst driving to raise the air suspension, turn off the suspension pasm I think its called. Let the car drive for a couple of mins then reapply them to my original settings. Boom.. The car is back to handling and driving
AFAIK you can't turn PASM off - perhaps you cycled it through its settings (Comfort, Sport, Sport Plus). Or did you turn PSM off/on?

Whatever you did, it's good to know that fiddling with a few buttons sorted the problem and that the car is back to normal!
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

uktivo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:19 am Hi all. I've just changed all four tyres on my turbo. I went with the mich latitude 21inch.
My car instantly went from one of the best handling cars to one of the worst. It was jittery, the ride was bouncy and cornering was awful.
I've revisited the tyre fitter twice with no difference noticed.. At one point, it felt so bad I even thought I'd fell into the transfer box gate issue..

However, and really its a note for other nuggets like myself.. I decided last night whilst driving to raise the air suspension, turn off the suspension pasm I think its called. Let the car drive for a couple of mins then reapply them to my original settings. Boom.. The car is back to handling and driving fantastic.

It's probably a standard thing to do but never having had air suspension before it never dawned on me that the Jack's lifting the car may have unbalanced the settings etc.

Anyway.. I have my turbo back with new boots....
Did you use an OPC for this work? The level control system must be switched off before jacking the car. If that wasn't done maybe that was the cause?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Did you put it in jack mode before jacking the car?
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

No it didn't use opc for the work and no I didn't put it in jack mode.. I didn't even know there is a jack mode. Can you confirm how this is done for future reference please?
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

uktivo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:47 am No it didn't use opc for the work and no I didn't put it in jack mode.. I didn't even know there is a jack mode. Can you confirm how this is done for future reference please?
Strangely enough, it's in the manual.

Switching level control system off

Vehicle stationary.
Switch on ignition.
Press and hold button for approx. 10 seconds.
A notice appears on the multifunction display.
The vehicle can now be raised.
Switching level control system on
Vehicle stationary.
Switch on ignition.
Press and hold button for approx. 10 seconds.
A notice appears on the multifunction display.
Information
The level control system switches on automatically at speeds above approx. 4 mph (7 km/h).
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:59 am Strangely enough, it's in the manual.
:lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018