New brake pads at less than 17k miles

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Pancus

Post by Pancus »

Hello. New to forum having recently taken delivery of a Sept 16 Macan S with 16300 miles from main dealer.
After 600 miles of driving I had a warning light come on to tell me of brake pad wear. Main dealer have looked at it and I believe they are replacing the front pads (at no cost to me)

My question is that this seems exceptionally quick for the brake pads to be worn to the point of needing replacing and should I be concerned of a wider problem. Secondly is it likely that the front pads would wear quick than the rears, leaving the rears not needing to be replaced at this stage.

Many thanks for any advice

Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi and welcome,

I think someone else on here had front pads (and discs!) done at a similar mileage - I guess it will depend on how the car was driven to a large degree but 20 000 miles or so is not unduly hard on the front pads. Fronts will always wear more than the rears as they take the bulk of the strain when braking (weight transfer is the culprit)

I think I would be asking the supplying main dealer to show me the check list they should have produced prior to selling the car and then explain to me how they allowed the car to be delivered with such short life left on the pads!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Pancus

Post by Pancus »

Thanks for the information and advice Paul, much appreciated.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Might also be worth getting the disc thickness checked as some people have had both discs and pads replaced together. If they are getting towards replacement you might as well push for them to be done at their cost now rather than yours in another 3 months.
Pancus

Post by Pancus »

Thanks Ian

Is there any information or knowledge of what indicates a requirement for the discs to be replaced?

Is it just on thickness and if so what thickness is the point of replacement being required. Are there any other indicators?
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

There should be a disc wear limit spec somewhere; it's usually about 2mm.

It looks as if you could easily check with a micrometer on mine.

Your Wheels May Vary.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Pancus wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:06 am Thanks Ian

Is there any information or knowledge of what indicates a requirement for the discs to be replaced?

Is it just on thickness and if so what thickness is the point of replacement being required. Are there any other indicators?
Significant corrosion or damage such that would fail an MoT.

The minimum permitted thickness is stamped on the disc hub outer circumference adjacent to the wheel flange.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pancus

Post by Pancus »

Thanks for the info Tim and Nick
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I had this on my last Mini. Rear pads worn after 11k Miles, needed replacing. The car had 10k miles on it when I bought it. Complained to the (MINI main) dealer and the first question they asked me was how often I used cruise control! Apparently the Mini uses the rear brake to control speed and if used excessively will cause premature brake wear. Wasn't convinced this was true but hey ho what do I know.

As I'd only done 1k miles from purchase they replaced them FOC but I wanted to know why this hadn't been picked up in the PDI. They said they would investigate but I never heard anything more from them.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

The rear pads sometimes can some times wear out first if the car is fitted with the likes of PSM in Porches case who also use the rear brakes with their PTV Plus rear torque vectoring system