Tyres - summer or AS

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

Well after 18K my OE pirelli's on my 20's are at the end of their life and I am looking around.

I am normally a Michelin man but I must admit the Pirelli's have really impressed me and for the first time in 15 years I never bothered fitted winter tyres to a car despite the bad winter we had.

Looking at the Michelin they appear to do the sport and the tour which is AS rated - anyone offer any feedback on the two Michelin's?
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Now done 9200 miles on the O.E. Michelin 'Sport Latitude 3' set with 6mm remaining all round and even wear on all 4. (So should get over 25000 miles from them). These are "summer" pattern tyres

Handling, grip, braking, traction In the wet all very good. Don't risk expensive cars when snow is on the ground, so cannot comment there,

Very impressed as I drive mainly on A, B and C country roads (only 10% ish on M-ways) and so hard on tyres. With my previous Merc E-Coupe (RWD) had rears replaced at 12000 miles on O.E. Continental and again at 24000 miles (speedo) on replacement Pirelli. Then onto Avon and that set still going stong at 32000 miles when I sold it.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I am not a fan of AS tyres.

Summer tyres have the best performance for most of the year, by performance I am not relating to handling but to superior grip and a very significant improvement in braking efficiency that results in shorter braking distances when they are needed.

I would also argue that the most dangerous times of the year are during the warmer months when there is more traffic on the roads, it certainly is in my part of the country with the motorways being very well packed with people (mainly idiots) who are simply not used to driving at high speed.

My Turbo has Michelin Summers fitted and I make do in the Winter months by adapting my driving style to suit the conditions, that said this last Winter with Ice and Snow on the ground the Michelin tyres were certainly more skittish than I ever experienced with the 4 wheel drive Jag that covered 100k miles on Summer Pirelli P Zero tyres with that combination not once did I have any issues with drive or braking, well there was one, black ice, nothing would have helped on that.

If I lived in an area more prone to lower temperatures then a Winter set of wheels and tyres would most certainly be bought rather than the compromise that is AS.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Both my Macans were ordered with AS Tyres as I wanted the best of both worlds ( I know that some would say you get the worst of both worlds) and I've never had any issues is any weather conditions. I've even done the roundabout test in different conditions and I gave up before the tyres did, very impressed.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
jk88

Post by jk88 »

+1

And brilliant when driven on snow a few months ago (easy to forget when we've had susch a stunning summer).
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

+2. Albeit can and will be argued that the advantages offered by winters can be lifesaving.

I’m wondering what the situation will be with the FL Macan. It seemingly comes with specially developed tyres. Germany has new tyre regs that outlaws All Seasons. So what will be the U.K. default?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

I've had Michelin latitude AS tyres on for the past 40k and they still have 4mm all round :P They have never let go and give really good grip all year round where I'm based near the middle of the UK close to Manchester. I'm sure pure summer tyres and pure winter tyres are the overall best option, but to fork out another £3.5+k to buy them originally just does not make sense for me - and I've 35 years of driving to support that. If I were in Scotland I'd be looking for another set of wheels for winter rubber, and if I were in London I'd be on summer tyres all year round and wondering what all the fuss was about!

James