PASM and 21

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Teids86

Post by Teids86 »

Hi

I have recently ordered a 2019 Macan with 21´ wheels.

After reading comments I noticed that a lot of forum users have mentioned that if you do take large wheels you the you must tick the PASM option as it would give you more comfort.

I have asked by dealer his thoughts on this and he said that the car comes by default in the comfort mode. The simple PASM option will give you the choice to change to Sportier modes but it will not add extra comfoft.

There is however the possibility to take the full air suspension which would probably help

For the ones who have tried 21 and with and without air suspensions, do you notice a big diff?

Thank you !
Last edited by Teids86 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

My wife drives ours with 21's and PASM everyday with no issues.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Bit about PASM here....

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7986&p=166824&hilit=PASM#p166824

Your salesman hasn’t quite grasped the concept.....😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I have 21” sports classics on my Macan and the ride is perfectly fine.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

I've had 21s with both air and non air suspension. There is very little noticeable difference during everyday driving from air v non air. Both have the ability to tighten settings via Sport mode.

Where air comes into its own is when the car is pushed and there are quick directional changes. Air provides that quicker reaction from the car which enables it to retain more superior stability. You notice it quite a bit on track mainly.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

My first Macan had PASM, second has Air.

Exactly the same wheels fitted to both.

The ride quality on Air is superior to a PASM only Macan but Air can float and wallow for some people. Its not much superior but its there especially in very rough even surfaces.

By contrast no PASM and 21” wheels would give a very hard ride that I refer to as Beamer M on flat run flats.

Make no bones about it a Macan is still a two tonne car and physics comes into play whan it is pushed, a soorts car it is not. Driven hard at the smooth PEC is one thing, drive the same on B roads and very quickly the weight become apparent.

If ride is paramount for you then getting 21” wheels is the wrong choice, go with no larger than 20” and you should not visually notice much difference but the difference on the road is marked.

I have driven one Macan on 18” wheels with Air and the ride was sublime.

Both my Macans have had 20” and I am more than happy with the ride.

Then there is the other 9 Macans that I have driven and all on 21”, but for everyday use I would not choose 21”, for the reasons above
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

Questions around suspension & wheel size typically generates vigorous debate on the forum.
Someone suggested the other day that people would defend the choices they had made & the associated money they had spent.
I believe there is no ‘right’ answer, just different prioritisation of issues including looks/style, ride comfort, road noise, grip and handling at ‘speed’ (which for some can mean 30mph and for others it means 130mph) and budget.

What are your relative priorities between ‘comfort’ ( typically smaller rims, larger tyre sidewalls, softer suspension) versus ‘at speed’ performance?

I strongly suggest you drive & try different set-ups before order lockdown. You will get an invite to the Silverstone PEC. In advance you can specifically ask to try different set-ups: they will try and accomodate.

My experience: over 50k miles on UK roads in 3 years in a new SD Macan with PASM/steel, initially on 20ins, then later with 21ins. Then 8k miles in a used Turbo with PASM/Air, on same 21’s.
Observations:
1) wheels are easy (can be expensive) to change, suspension is a fixed choice while you have the car - worth the effort to choose correctly!
2) PASM allows you to alter the ‘character’ of the driving experience between comfort/sport/sportplus. I might choose comfort for motorway cruise or potholed streets, or sportplus for a motorway dash or hammering a B-road.
The difference between the settings are not subtle.
I would not choose a Macan unless it had PASM.
3) On the SD, moving from 20s to 21s made the ride a little ‘harsher’/noisier (both on Michelins). Not by a huge amount. For me, happily accepted this to get ( to me) a better looking Macan, and improved grip ( in extremis)
4)Turbo on Air vs Steel, on 21’s: The slight ‘harshness’ in (3) has gone. In comfort mode & standard ride height its the best/quietest/most relaxing driving character of the Macans I’ve driven (my default when returning tired from airport)
Mostly I drive in low ride height, and sport.
Air is very competent when trying hard on A & B roads.

Have never experienced the queasiness that some report about air suspension - another strong reason to try it if thinking of optioning it.

Air was optioned on the used Turbo I bought: now I’ve had it, I probably won’t want to give it up if I order a Macan2, despite the significant cost.
Otherwise I was very satisfied with 21s with PASM/ steel.

PASM gives you opportunities to change the Macan’s driving character. It firms it up for reduced pitch and dive under acceleration/braking, which passengers appreciate, but wont make it ‘softer’ than standard steel.
Only you can decide what ‘comfortable’ means...

I’m sure you will love your Macan whatever you decide...
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
wizzzard

Post by wizzzard »

Some great insights in this thread from seasoned Macan drivers.

I'm a fairly new Macan driver but after test driving the three variants to my desired spec (GTS), I concluded that the Air Suspension smooths out the road surface imperfections. Coming from an S3, it feels a little floaty at times but the PASM button is always there if I want to firm things up a little. I have the 21" SCs and with the AS, it rides like a dream. I have test driven the GTS on 20s with AS and for me, it's the ultimate combination - that might have something to do with the all-weather tyres the 20" come with but I can't say for sure.

In summary, if you have the means to opt for AS, go for it. It definitely helps make the ride smoother over the pot holes and other road imperfections. If however you do not opt for the AS, you will not be disappointed. The best advice I got on this forum was and is the same advice I will offer here: test drive as many variants as possible to give you a better idea of how the Macan feels.
Jet Black GTS | 21" Sport Classics Gloss Black | PanRoof | Air Suspension + PASM | Pebble Grey Interior | Sport Design Mirrors | PDLS+ | Light Comfort | Bose | PS+
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The wise advice has already been given.

Always test drive a car with the suspension and wheel size you intend to specify.

When you go to the PEC do remember the roads there are billiard table smooth and the car will be different on the country roads outside the PEC.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ponbon

Post by Ponbon »

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, please excuse my stupid question. But how can you tell if the car as PASM or not?

I know for sure mine has air suspension. But PASM I don't know.