Braking Systems

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Question: Is the braking system on all Macans the same?

Taking aside the hugely expensive Ceramic Composite Brake 'extra' . . . . is the braking system on the 3 litre Macan S the same system as that on the 2 litre model? Why do I ask? My test drive was in the 2 litre model and I was surprised when I first hit the brake pedal and I needed to push down a little more than I expected. I've searched on-line for the spec and can't find any description.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

No.

Braking varies by model.

Disc size varies.

Brake caliper efficiency varies.

Red calipers are better, yellow are best (ceramic).

BTW
A Porsche rule of thumb is:-

However long the 0-60 mph time is, the 60-0 time is half as long.

That should give you a good idea as why a Turbo is best. :D
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Fairynuff wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 pm Question: Is the braking system on all Macans the same?

Taking aside the hugely expensive Ceramic Composite Brake 'extra' . . . . is the braking system on the 3 litre Macan S the same system as that on the 2 litre model? Why do I ask? My test drive was in the 2 litre model and I was surprised when I first hit the brake pedal and I needed to push down a little more than I expected. I've searched on-line for the spec and can't find any description.
Brakes
The 3.0S has Six-piston aluminium monobloc brake calipers at front and single-piston combination floating calipers at rear, discs internally vented front and rear.
The 2.0 has Four-piston aluminium monobloc brake calipers at front, rest as 3.0S.
Not sure on disc size but the six pots suggest it may be larger? The S aside from being more powerful also carries a further 70kg. Non of the models have a problem stopping, when you say you had to press harder than expected it really depends what you are comparing as no two vehicles are the same
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

MikeM wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:11 am
Fairynuff wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 pm Question: Is the braking system on all Macans the same?
Non of the models have a problem stopping, when you say you had to press harder than expected it really depends what you are comparing as no two vehicles are the same
I am comparing it with my 2Litre Q5. As I said, on my test drive, when I came to the first junction I touched the brakes with the degree of pressure I am used to and it wasn't stopping as quickly as I was used to and I needed to apply a little more pressure. No big deal but It surprised me. If the S has the six-piston aluminium monobloc brake calipers over the 4 hopefully that will remove the need for a heavier foot.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Fairynuff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 am
MikeM wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:11 am
Non of the models have a problem stopping, when you say you had to press harder than expected it really depends what you are comparing as no two vehicles are the same
I am comparing it with my 2Litre Q5. As I said, on my test drive, when I came to the first junction I touched the brakes with the degree of pressure I am used to and it wasn't stopping as quickly as I was used to and I needed to apply a little more pressure. No big deal but It surprised me. If the S has the six-piston aluminium monobloc brake calipers over the 4 hopefully that will remove the need for a heavier foot.
Don't confuse actual stopping power with brake feel here! Almost certainly your Q5 has a lighter brake pedal simply to make it easier for the school run mums to operate with high heels. The downside of an over-assisted brake pedal is lack of feel and modulation. Porsche cars have always had great brake feel and that comes at the price of a heavier pedal input. The lighter you make the pedal feel, the more it becomes a digital switch rather than an analogue feel. You just need to adjust to the heavier pedal and it will reward you with much better feel and modulation. A lot of modern shopping trolleys have super light brake pedals and they are ultimately crap when pushing on a bit.

Also the biggest influence on actual stopping distance is the tyre grip and weight of the car. Bigger calipers and discs only really help in reducing brake fade when doing track days. Again Porsche have always been good at matching brakes with the car performance to avoid brake fade when tracking. Brake fade on public roads is never a serious issue unless you drive down mountain passes at fill tilt! But on a track you can often melt the brakes on road cars in just a handful of laps because of the heat build-up with no time to cool off.