Spare wheel or Glue supplied is sufficient

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
happy days

Post by happy days »

Note, as I discovered recently, that if you have the compressor / glue kit thingy, your car doesn't actually come with a jack or a wheel brace. Beware of this.
Macan S D
718 S

RickZ

Post by RickZ »

If spec'd during configuration a collapsible spare wheel kit costs circa £160, if purchased after it's £550, explain that one. Porsche's excuse for the huge difference in price is shipping and storage costs, yeah really.....
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

RickZ wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am If spec'd during configuration a collapsible spare wheel kit costs circa £160, if purchased after it's £550, explain that one. Porsche's excuse for the huge difference in price is shipping and storage costs, yeah really.....
That is the wise move.

As I will keep suggesting, configure with a Spare and buy a couple of cans of goo to give yourself options. Even with my space saver if I had a flat in a location where it was unsafe the goo would get inserted to at least get me to a safe location.

This got me thinking that I must be unlucky since in the last 20 years I have had 6 flat tyres:-

Vectra (pool car), total flat on Motorway in very heavy traffic, scary changing to spare.

Mini, puncture that the glue failed to repair, worst time and location to get a flat.

Jag, slow puncture screw in tread

Jag, damage sidewall (suspected vandalism)

Macan SD, slow puncture screw in tread

Macan Turbo, damaged sidewall resulting in immediate loss of pressure.

So you now know just why I am so pro having a Spare wheel.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 am
RickZ wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am If spec'd during configuration a collapsible spare wheel kit costs circa £160, if purchased after it's £550, explain that one. Porsche's excuse for the huge difference in price is shipping and storage costs, yeah really.....
That is the wise move.

As I will keep suggesting, configure with a Spare and buy a couple of cans of goo to give yourself options. Even with my space saver if I had a flat in a location where it was unsafe the goo would get inserted to at least get me to a safe location.

This got me thinking that I must be unlucky since in the last 20 years I have had 6 flat tyres:-

Vectra (pool car), total flat on Motorway in very heavy traffic, scary changing to spare.

Mini, puncture that the glue failed to repair, worst time and location to get a flat.

Jag, slow puncture screw in tread

Jag, damage sidewall (suspected vandalism)

Macan SD, slow puncture screw in tread

Macan Turbo, damaged sidewall resulting in immediate loss of pressure.

So you now know just why I am so pro having a Spare wheel.
Wow, I guess you must do quite a few miles to experience so many punctures. I have a collapsible spare with jack adaptors for use with non Porsche jacks, hopefully if I experience a puncture I'll have a mobile signal enabling me to call Porsche Assistance for them to fit the spare. My theory is why pay so much for a Porsche and not use the included FREE services given you pay for pretty much everything else......
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold