Rim protection

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Fairynuff wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 pm
Rab J wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:52 pm Yes the box contained more than enough for four 20" wheels. I would say enough for 21" Without close examination they are all but invisable on my rims. i am very pleased with them.
Thanks for that - on the subject of appearance I note that they have a range of colours (why?) what colour did you choose that made them 'invisable'?
My rims are 911.2 GTS mat black so the black rim savers are a great match.

20190224_143325.jpg

This is a photo of the damaged one on my car.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Rab J wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 pm My rims are 911.2 GTS mat black so the black rim savers are a great match.
This is a photo of the damaged one on my car.
Thanks again - this looks like the best option I've seen so far
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

I believe Rimsavers use 3m double sided tape as adhesive, I imagine even using a hair drier to soften the adhesive they must be a pig to remove without leaving adhesive on the rim to clean off. I've also read that they can start to come off and at speed flap about risking car damage.
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

RickZ wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:54 pm I believe Rimsavers use 3m double sided tape as adhesive, I imagine even using a hair drier to soften the adhesive they must be a pig to remove without leaving adhesive on the rim to clean off. I've also read that they can start to come off and at speed flap about risking car damage.
Mine are stuck like s**t to a hairy dogs rear and have been up to considerable three figure speed without issue. They have already saved one of my rear rims from a light brush with a nasty kerb. I would concede that they wouldn't be easily removed but then thats the point.
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

Rab J wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:31 pm
RickZ wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:54 pm
Mine are stuck like s**t to a hairy dogs rear and have been up to considerable three figure speed without issue. They have already saved one of my rear rims from a light brush with a nasty kerb. I would concede that they wouldn't be easily removed but then thats the point.
Oh no so at least one of your lovely Porsche wheels has a scuffed rim protector stuck on it. At least scuffed wheels can be repaired and look lovely again. In the event of a puncture can a tyre be replaced without damaging the protector? I'm with you and hate scuffing a wheel but I'd prefer to repair a scuf to maintain the look of a wheel rather than sticking plastic on it. Each to their own I guess, though I must admit to feeling that pit of the stomach feeling when I hear a wheel hit the curb, touch wood that hasn't been for a few years now..... :shock:
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold
R850R

Post by R850R »

3 or 4 years back, Alloygators were fitted to all 4 wheels of a (demo) Audi I purchased from dealership.
After maybe a couple of months with the car, I noticed that the 'gators were beginning to separate from between the tyre & rim on both front wheels but not the rear ones. Some researching came up with many dire warnings:-
Apparently due to the lateral flexing on front wheels when steering at low speed (e.g. parking !), this separation can often occur. The next stage is that the link between the two ends of the 'gator strip can then break. If this happens at even moderate speeds the released strip can flail around and do substantial damage to bodywork.
(I have changed "will" to "can" in the above para.)
Based on this, I decided to remove them from the front wheels. On one wheel it came away with worrying ease but on the other, I had to deflate the tyre first. The 'gators were left on the rear wheels until the next tyre replacement, whereupon the manager of the place made some very derogatory comments about them.
An online search is worthwhile for anyone contemplating having them fitted. Here's one (snipped):-
"I wont be getting them. I did my research, they not cooL at ALL!
The Problem:
+ You could damage your tyres/wheels when fitting them
+ They could damage your body work if they come out at high speed
+ Is your car insured with them fitted
+ They can make your tyres go flat and damage the seal between tyre and wheel.
Problem solved: Don't let your Misses borrow your car !"
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Wouldn't possibly contemplate something as obvious as gators. I measured a small spare piece of the Rimsaver strip I fitted to the 911 the other day and the total thickness of plastic and tape is only 1.18mm so almost invisible when well fitted.