Bit clunky over speed bumps

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Anomalous72

Post by Anomalous72 »

I’ve had my Macan S 2016 for a few months now. I live in an area where there are a lot of speed bumps. I’m finding the front goes over them fine but the back doesn’t seem as smooth. I thought it might be something in the boot, so cleared it out completely but it still doesn’t seem right. Is this normal?

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Anomalous72 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:14 pm I’ve had my Macan S 2016 for a few months now. I live in an area where there are a lot of speed bumps. I’m finding the front goes over them fine but the back doesn’t seem as smooth. I thought it might be something in the boot, so cleared it out completely but it still doesn’t seem right. Is this normal?

I find the same. If you have PASM put it in sport mode and it will stop the rear bouncing.
Anomalous72

Post by Anomalous72 »

Yes I have the PASM.
Which mode there are 3?

Also is it supposed to make the creaky noise when it lowers when you get out?
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Sport plus mode.

Can't help you with the creaking.
Paul

Post by Paul »

If it “lowers when you get out” sounds like you may have air suspension.....?

Not sure if it's supposed to lower automatically either....?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

When I first got my air suspended Turbo I found that it made made more ‘bump/thump’ noise at the rear than I was used to in other cars. It’s obviously a characteristic of the Macan.

My car is pretty much always in the second PASM setting, the Sport mode, and lowered setting selected.

The car often makes creaking noises when just parked. It is the self levelling system doing its thing.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:17 pm If it “lowers when you get out” sounds like you may have air suspension.....?

Mine does :shock:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 am
Paul wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:17 pm If it “lowers when you get out” sounds like you may have air suspension.....?

As I said above, it doesn’t automatically lower, either to the low setting or the rear loading setting, but it does adjust its attitude when parked. The noises are from the suspension as the self-levelling system makes minor adjustments.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 am

As I said above, it doesn’t automatically lower, either to the low setting or the rear loading setting, but it does adjust its attitude when parked. The noises are from the suspension as the self-levelling system makes minor adjustments.
Indeed. Just the conclusion I came to - albeit mine doesn’t make much noise.

I always thought it was ironic that it lowered after getting out. Surely better to do that before.

Interesting also that it lowers even though I always have it set to low already.

It doesn’t thump particularly though over speed bumps. Perhaps I’m attacking them too quietly. :roll:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:08 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 am

Indeed. Just the conclusion I came to - albeit mine doesn’t make much noise.

I always thought it was ironic that it lowered after getting out. Surely better to do that before.

Interesting also that it lowers even though I always have it set to low already.

It doesn’t thump particularly though over speed bumps. Perhaps I’m attacking them too quietly. :roll:
Yes agreed, re suspension movements.

I first noticed the rear suspension noises on a particular fast B road that had lots of surface ripples and bumps, particularly on the nearside. It's a road I've used before in other cars but the Macan seems to have a suspension rebound characteristic that was quite unusual, at least on that stretch of road. I haven't noticed it much elsewhere, but I too negotiate speed bumps fairly gently!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold