Air suspension - worth it?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Am89

Post by Am89 »

Seen a turbo performance pack with all the options apart from air suspension. Does the air make the ride a lot better and from owners who own air cars / is it worth having?

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Am89 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 am Seen a turbo performance pack with all the options apart from air suspension. Does the air make the ride a lot better and from owners who own air cars / is it worth having?
I wouldn't say a 'lot' better, but it helps reduce the bump/thump reactions a little especially if the car has 21" wheels. Some people, including me, can feel a slight floaty sensation on normal suspension setting, particularly on motorways. I nearly always have mine set on sport.

Unless you tow, or need extra ground clearance, I'd say you don't need it, and with the emphasis on a sporty chassis with the PP I'd say go with steel springs.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Am89

Post by Am89 »

As the car has 21” wheels I thought air would give the best ride possible but what you say makes sense. The floaty feeling seems to be common with suv’s
Paul

Post by Paul »

The “floaty” bit is really only evident on air suspension (and then not really that bad)
I wouldn’t call either of mine floaty (SD on ‘19s no PASM, and current GTS on ‘20s with PASM) compared to other SUVs (and even many saloons)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Air on 20" rims makes it one of the quietest cars I've ever been in; ideal as I got the car for long journeys.

You can push the buttons if you want it to firm up for a while.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Tim92gts wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:57 pm Air on 20" rims makes it one of the quietest cars I've ever been in; ideal as I got the car for long journeys.

You can push the buttons if you want it to firm up for a while.
+1. Also endorsed by instructor at PEC
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
wilko

Post by wilko »

When I came to spec my old turbo 3 years ago, I took an extended test drive in an air and non air car, and found air very unnatural and it made me feel quite ill.
Obviously I chose not to spec it.
I’d advise everyone to try it as you’ll either thinks it’s superb, or you’ll hate it
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

I would defiantly recommend it, great on windy days just press the sport + and it holds the whole car down to the road wonderful on motorways.
Am89

Post by Am89 »

Drove the car today with dampers set to normal, It drove well with a compliant ride and didn’t feel too harsh on the 21” wheels. Haven’t driven an air car to compare but I feel happy with the ride comfort. It’s a 17” car with 5500 miles and just had its first service. Has the power kit as well which is nice and should help resale. It has a light tan interior / tan which is unusual and something I haven’t seen before on a Macan but looks lovely in the flesh - makes the cabin feel really airy too. Would this interior put anyone off? It’s available in Porsche Edinburgh if anyone wants to have a look and give me their opinion on what’s it worth?
Am89

Post by Am89 »

Another thing I noticed was the steering wheel sat very slightly off to the right when on the bypass. I mentioned this and asked about wheel alignment to the sales guy and he said it’s been through Porsche’s 120 point check and alignment should be fine etc - can anyone confirm whether alignment is usually checked on the 120 point check? I was under the impression it was things like tyres, susp, brakes etc?

If we do a deal on the car I’ve requested the alignment be checked and adjusted..