Sagging of air suspension; caused by leak?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
paulyonder

Post by paulyonder »

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had experienced issues with the air suspension? I'd say my Macan is used every 1-2 weeks, so not a daily driver, but have recently noticed the front passenger side 'sag' over a period of 3-4 days. As soon as the car is turned on, the compressor kicks in and evens up the sagging side.

Logic would dictate there's a leak somewhere in the system and I wondered if this was a problem anyone had experienced or had resolved?

It's booked in for OPC to take a look at but not for three weeks...

Many thanks!
Current: Macan S (Purchased Dec 2018)
Previous: 911 997 C2S (Sold Dec 2018)

Paul

Post by Paul »

Perfectly normal.......

CA1C28F0-F3A3-48D9-A441-51F8F48B6A26.png

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
paulyonder

Post by paulyonder »

ah ha!

Great find, thank you for this. I felt I'd done my share of googling but clearly not.

Will keep an eye on it and see if I noticed any kind of accelerated sagging!
Paul

Post by Paul »

paulyonder wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:29 pm ah ha!

Great find, thank you for this. I felt I'd done my share of googling but clearly not.

Will keep an eye on it and see if I noticed any kind of accelerated sagging!
😉 download the “good to know” app on the app store. Select your model version printed on the spine of the handbook..👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
paulyonder

Post by paulyonder »

Thanks for this. Have downloaded now.

I am still a little suspicious. Last drove it on Sunday evening, used my exceptionally scientific 'finger-width' measurement approach.

Day 1, 4.5 fingers fit easy. It's now day 3 and I can't even get 2 in on the suspect side...

Out of interest I'd be interested in anyone else's finger measurements over 1-3 days, to see if they just all lose this height over such a short time frame? FYI car was in Low Ride Height mode when left on Sunday.
lookalike50

Post by lookalike50 »

Paulyonder, I had exactly your issue a few months back. Front passenger side leak - after 3-4 days the bodywork was virtually sitting on the tyre. Like you my car often sits for 7-10 days in between uses, so was very noticeable. See my thread (if I've inserted the link correctly):

[url]https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8982[/url]

Your OPC should identify it as faulty and replace under warranty. I had to wait around 3 weeks for the part to be manufactured and shipped over from Germany. Initially they left me with my Cayman T loan car for a week, but when they realised it was going to take a while longer they decided the Macan was safe to drive after all.

WARNING: On a couple of occasions the suspension did not re-inflate after starting the engine. Fortunately I noticed this before attempting to drive off otherwise who knows what damage would have been incurred. A quick tap on the button that adjusts ride height and it soon corrected itself.

Good luck. Let us know your outcome.
paulyonder

Post by paulyonder »

lookalike50 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:57 am Paulyonder, I had exactly your issue a few months back. Front passenger side leak - after 3-4 days the bodywork was virtually sitting on the tyre. Like you my car often sits for 7-10 days in between uses, so was very noticeable. See my thread (if I've inserted the link correctly):

[url]https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8982[/url]

Your OPC should identify it as faulty and replace under warranty. I had to wait around 3 weeks for the part to be manufactured and shipped over from Germany. Initially they left me with my Cayman T loan car for a week, but when they realised it was going to take a while longer they decided the Macan was safe to drive after all.

WARNING: On a couple of occasions the suspension did not re-inflate after starting the engine. Fortunately I noticed this before attempting to drive off otherwise who knows what damage would have been incurred. A quick tap on the button that adjusts ride height and it soon corrected itself.

Good luck. Let us know your outcome.
That is fantastically helpful, thanks so much my friend!

Looks like the same issue then. It's booked into OPC on 19th for diagnosis, which is nightmare timing as we obviously have plans to drive over Christmas.

Good to hear they were happy it was fine to drive; I had hoped that would be the case and I guess I just need to keep an eye on the compressor working overtime and potentially burning out. I will be sure to check that the levelling does occur before driving off.

Out of interest, did they identify the specific part that was faulty and replaced, maybe in the invoice they provided (even though it was covered under warranty?)
lookalike50

Post by lookalike50 »

I know what you mean about timing, it's a headache you really don't need at this time of year. Saying that, you should be fine driving it around over Christmas providing it re-inflates. I needed to give it a nudge a couple of times, but was never really an issue. If they absolutely don't want you to drive it on safety grounds, they'll supply a 4-seater loaner of some sort.

The invoice I have only quotes for a paid for job I had done at the same time, so I don't have part numbers I'm afraid. I'm sure you'll be fine, but if they can't identify the issue, PM me and I'll give you the details of my OPC/RegNo/date worked on etc.
paulyonder

Post by paulyonder »

lookalike50 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:18 pm I know what you mean about timing, it's a headache you really don't need at this time of year. Saying that, you should be fine driving it around over Christmas providing it re-inflates. I needed to give it a nudge a couple of times, but was never really an issue. If they absolutely don't want you to drive it on safety grounds, they'll supply a 4-seater loaner of some sort.

The invoice I have only quotes for a paid for job I had done at the same time, so I don't have part numbers I'm afraid. I'm sure you'll be fine, but if they can't identify the issue, PM me and I'll give you the details of my OPC/RegNo/date worked on etc.
Dropped you a PM! Thanks again! :D