Four wheel alignment.

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Am89

Post by Am89 »

No signs of damage etc. Now that u mention it, only one side of the vehicle was adjusted - not both. I’m rebooked for Monday so I’ll go from there. The car was prev an OPC vehicle at silverstone, I’m sure they’d have picked up on anything untoward.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Am89 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:19 pm No signs of damage etc. Now that u mention it, only one side of the vehicle was adjusted - not both. I’m rebooked for Monday so I’ll go from there. The car was prev an OPC vehicle at silverstone, I’m sure they’d have picked up on anything untoward.
😱 “silverstone.....” never raced or rallied....😉😂😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Am89

Post by Am89 »

A car driven hard doesn’t bother me as long as it’s warmed up and cooled correctly etc.. it is a turbo after all.. on a side note, if anything was damaged then I’m sure the alignment place would have picked up on this.. anything bent etc wouldn’t allow correct adjustments as far as I know.

Also 40k from a set of tyres seems crazy, not sure how that’s even possible. :shock:
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:06 pm
SAC1 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:34 pm They shouldn't charge to check. If adjustment work is needed, you can then decide whether they do it or another firm.

With the AWD Macan Porsche state "the deviation in tread depth on an axle must not be more than 30 %." So that is 2.4 mm.(brand new SUV tyres have generally 8 mm start depth) e.g. if new front tyres only fitted, then rears need to be at a minimum of 5.6 mm.
The tread difference stipulation refers to one axle, ie the tread difference side to side of the car on one axle, not front to back. Indeed, Porsche state there can be a difference front to rear - 'If new tires are installed only on one axle, a noticeable change in handling occurs due to the different tread depth of the other tires. This is especially the case if only the rear tires are replaced. The effect is reduced continuously, however, as tire mileage increases.
You are absolutely correct Nick, my [tyre] slip up!

If only fitting a pair of new tyres, then the BTMA recommendation is to fit to them to the rear axle. See para 2 below.

Obviously if you are replacing the fronts on a Macan then you do not have the option of swapping front to rear with their size difference.

Capture.PNG

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Spot on SAC1!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA