Four wheel alignment.

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Am89

Post by Am89 »

Used progrip prev on my C63 and he didn’t get the steering wheel centred. Starting to think maybe I’m too fussy 😩

Put it down to badly worn tyres, not sure that was true though

Am89

Post by Am89 »

After about 300 miles of use on the tyres post alignment - the steering wheel is sitting a fair bit off to the left. The rear Pirelli’s are near the limit and the fronts could do with being replaced soon.. all four have more wear on the outside and seem to have decent tread left on the inside. When I first had the alignment done the steering wheel seemed slightly off to the left but not as bad as it is now.. could this be down to the tyres wearing in and making the wheel sit off centre, if not - what could be causing this? My next step was to go back for a recheck of alignment but I feel maybe I should put 4 new tyres on first.. I’m slightly reluctant as if this doesn’t solve the off centre steering wheel I’ve spent £850-900 I don’t need to right now. The current tyres still have some life left but could be badly misshapen. Any ideas what I should be doing next?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Am89 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 am After about 300 miles of use on the tyres post alignment - the steering wheel is sitting a fair bit off to the left. The rear Pirelli’s are near the limit and the fronts could do with being replaced soon.. all four have more wear on the outside and seem to have decent tread left on the inside. When I first had the alignment done the steering wheel seemed slightly off to the left but not as bad as it is now.. could this be down to the tyres wearing in and making the wheel sit off centre, if not - what could be causing this? My next step was to go back for a recheck of alignment but I feel maybe I should put 4 new tyres on first.. I’m slightly reluctant as if this doesn’t solve the off centre steering wheel I’ve spent £850-900 I don’t need to right now. The current tyres still have some life left but could be badly misshapen. Any ideas what I should be doing next?
First, what do you mean by 'badly misshapen'? It's normal for tyres to wear a little unevenly across the tread due to characteristics of the car and its use pattern. Perhaps you could give us some pics.

I'm surprised the tyres are nearing replacement after only 17k miles. That suggests a hard life bordering on abuse and was behind my original question on whether you know the history of the car. What are the tread depths now? If they are near to replacement, ie 3mm or below, I would replace all four and get the steering wheel alignment corrected at the same time. If the car has had a full laser alignment and is now within limits there's not really anything else you can do.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
adam b

Post by adam b »

Can someone confirm for me:

I fitted 2 new front tyres recently and included was a free wheel tracking check. Garage said it wasn't worth doing given the front tyres are new and rears are 50%.

I assumed this was BS and garage was being lazy, and car was off the lift and I was in a rush so didn't bother.

Any truth in their claim?
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

adam b wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 am Can someone confirm for me:

I fitted 2 new front tyres recently and included was a free wheel tracking check. Garage said it wasn't worth doing given the front tyres are new and rears are 50%.

I assumed this was BS and garage was being lazy, and car was off the lift and I was in a rush so didn't bother.

Any truth in their claim?
Sounds like BS to me too. New tyres on the front would be a good time to have the alignment checked.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Paul

Post by Paul »

+1 to what Nick says
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Am89

Post by Am89 »

17k miles for new tyres didn’t seem worrying to me, esp on 2.5 tonne vehicle. I’ll try get some pics. By misshapen I meant maybe the car was driven a fair bit with wrong alignment settings causing them to wear badly one way, then alignment was corrected causing them to wear badly another way - possibly causing excess camber pull and wheel off centre?
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

They shouldn't charge to check. If adjustment work is needed, you can then decide whether they do it or another firm.

With the AWD Macan Porsche state "the deviation in tread depth on an axle must not be more than 30 %." So that is 2.4 mm.(brand new SUV tyres have generally 8 mm start depth) e.g. if new front tyres only fitted, then rears need to be at a minimum of 5.6 mm.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:34 pm They shouldn't charge to check. If adjustment work is needed, you can then decide whether they do it or another firm.

With the AWD Macan Porsche state "the deviation in tread depth on an axle must not be more than 30 %." So that is 2.4 mm.(brand new SUV tyres have generally 8 mm start depth) e.g. if new front tyres only fitted, then rears need to be at a minimum of 5.6 mm.
The tread difference stipulation refers to one axle, ie the tread difference side to side of the car on one axle, not front to back. Indeed, Porsche state there can be a difference front to rear - 'If new tires are installed only on one axle, a noticeable change in handling occurs due to the different tread depth of the other tires. This is especially the case if only the rear tires are replaced. The effect is reduced continuously, however, as tire mileage increases.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Am89 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:28 pm 17k miles for new tyres didn’t seem worrying to me, esp on 2.5 tonne vehicle. I’ll try get some pics. By misshapen I meant maybe the car was driven a fair bit with wrong alignment settings causing them to wear badly one way, then alignment was corrected causing them to wear badly another way - possibly causing excess camber pull and wheel off centre?
Quite few members on here get 40k plus out of a set of tyres.

I think you are overstating the effect of 'normal' misalignment on tyre wear. It would have to be a gross error to cause the sort of wear pattern you describe, the sort of misalignment caused by a serious collision with a kerb or similar. As I said, the steering wheel off centre is either badly repaired crash damage or a lazy fitter not adjusting both track rod ends equally when doing a realignment.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold