Wheel damage after tyre change

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Am89

Post by Am89 »

After having 4 new Michelin’s fitted to my 21” turbo wheels by Costco I’ve noticed a very small mark to one of the wheel spokes, on the end near the lip. I’ve spoke to the manager and he’s asked me to come in and he’ll take a look. I’m in 2 minds whether to peruse this as the damage is minor and I’ve applied some clear lacquer to stop any further damage. I think the only way to fix the damage is a refurb - which I’m reluctant to do as the damage is small and I’m sure the wheels can only be re cut 2/3 times in total?

F2402726-E8DC-4DD7-8324-3917A732672A.jpeg

Am89

Post by Am89 »

If u zoom in u can see the lip has been slightly rounded off - as well as a chip in the lacquer which seems to be from the tyre lever or machine?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Am89 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:12 am After having 4 new Michelin’s fitted to my 21” turbo wheels by Costco I’ve noticed a very small mark to one of the wheel spokes, on the end near the lip. I’ve spoke to the manager and he’s asked me to come in and he’ll take a look. I’m in 2 minds whether to peruse this as the damage is minor and I’ve applied some clear lacquer to stop any further damage. I think the only way to fix the damage is a refurb - which I’m reluctant to do as the damage is small and I’m sure the wheels can only be re cut 2/3 times in total?
Only on one wheel? Looks a bit like impact damage, as if the wheel has been dropped or at least 'bruised' somehow. Tricky one, but if they damaged it they should repair to your satisfaction.

Also, is the tyre bead equal all the way round? It may just be the angle of the photo, but it appears not to be.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Am89

Post by Am89 »

Bead looks to be equal but I’ll check again. I don’t think the wheel has been dropped as the only damage I can see is the chip on the wheel spoke..

I agree they should fix it, asking them to refurb or pay for a full refurb may open a can or worms - in terms of wheel finish and colour match to the other wheels etc.. apart from a full refurb, is there any other repair alternative?
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I agree with Nick that bead does not appear to be seated correctly.

As they are diamond cut wheels a full refurbishment will be needed. Unless you can live with it.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

My friendly local garage has fitted 2 sets of new Pirellis on my 21" Turbos over the last 3 years.

They have privately confessed that they absolutely dread doing them because the Pirellis are such a low profile "and they're a right bastard to get on".
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I use Pirelli Performance garages to change tyres - doesn't guarantee you won't have an issue, but lowers the risk.

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car ... DEALER_PPC
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Deleted User 3304

Post by Deleted User 3304 »

Something similar to this happened on my partner's Merc SLK several years ago.

The dealer did free puncture repairs but managed to badly damage a perfect alloy.

They organised for an alloy refurbishment but it was terrible quality.

Eventually the MB dealer replaced the alloy FOC!
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I would only trust Porsche OPC or a garage that I trusted to change my Macan tyres.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

CharlesElliott wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:57 pm I use Pirelli Performance garages to change tyres - doesn't guarantee you won't have an issue, but lowers the risk.

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car ... DEALER_PPC
Looking at that list for my area, I would not trust many of them. It's all down to the training and then subsequent skill of the individual (not the company) using care, attention to detail and emoathy for the particular vehicle type.

For example - jacking the vehicle correctly, remove the wheel bolts without snagging the wheel holes.
Do they clean down the tyre fitting machine rubber mounting mat to get rid of grit etc. before locating the assembly. Insert the tyre lever to dismount the old worn tyre in a way that does not put excessive load on the rim face. Use enough, but not too much, lube to mount the new tyre. Ensure the wheel assembly has been accurately located onto the balancing machine and then the weights fitted on the inner surface of the wheel without any contact with the outer face.

One tip - ask to observe the job from start to finish (at a safe distance).
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver