Clean wheels

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
peter7

Post by peter7 »

It took a couple of hours or so , it was a job I had meant to do ages ago , but beware when jacking the car up .... I’m sure many of you know this , but you need a special insert at the jacking point to avoid damaging the plastic surround at the jacking point . I don’t have a spare wheel so no jack etc , I guessing if you have a spare then the jack that would come with it would be purpose made .
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars

putt4par

Post by putt4par »

peter7 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:54 am It took a couple of hours or so , it was a job I had meant to do ages ago , but beware when jacking the car up .... I’m sure many of you know this , but you need a special insert at the jacking point to avoid damaging the plastic surround at the jacking point . I don’t have a spare wheel so no jack etc , I guessing if you have a spare then the jack that would come with it would be purpose made .
You can get the Jack puck on ebay for the Macan, fits perfectly and for use with trolley jack, big help.
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Great job. I've been meaning to do mine but the weather has been horrendous. also want to have a go at the rusty hubs.

Don't suppose anyone knows what size torque wrench I need for the porsche's wheel nuts?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

dangezza wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:22 pm Great job. I've been meaning to do mine but the weather has been horrendous. also want to have a go at the rusty hubs.

Don't suppose anyone knows what size torque wrench I need for the porsche's wheel nuts?
What do you mean by ‘size’ of torque wrench? Presumably it wouldn’t be very helpful to say ‘a big one’!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:31 pm
dangezza wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:22 pm Great job. I've been meaning to do mine but the weather has been horrendous. also want to have a go at the rusty hubs.

What do you mean by ‘size’ of torque wrench? Presumably it wouldn’t be very helpful to say ‘a big one’!
At 160Nm, you could say it won’t be a small one 😊
Last edited by MikeM on Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Guy

Post by Guy »

From the workshop manual:

WM 0X03IN CHECKING WHEEL MOUNTING (MACAN, MACAN S, MACAN TURBO) >
CHECKING > CHECKING WHEEL MOUNTING
Information
Use a suitable commercially available tool together with a tested torque wrench, covering the range from
40 to 200 Nm (30-148 ftlb.). Never use an impact bolter.
Do not loosen the wheel bolts to check whether they are secure.
Re-tighten wheel bolts and check that they are seated securely. Tightening torque 160 Nm (118
ftlb.)
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Thanks. Its actually been a while since I had a wheel off and back then it was me just using a spider wrench with one of the ends being the correct fit for to go over the wheel nuts. Tightness setting i did was 'bloody tight'.

If I bought a torque wrench I'd like to ensure it comes with the right 'connections' to fit over the wheel nuts on the porsche. My car comes with the 18" space-saver but I'm guessing the including wrench won't have a torque setting.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

dangezza wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:55 am Thanks. Its actually been a while since I had a wheel off and back then it was me just using a spider wrench with one of the ends being the correct fit for to go over the wheel nuts. Tightness setting i did was 'bloody tight'.

If I bought a torque wrench I'd like to ensure it comes with the right 'connections' to fit over the wheel nuts on the porsche. My car comes with the 18" space-saver but I'm guessing the including wrench won't have a torque setting.
You'll need a 19mm socket, an extension and a suitable torque wrench (at least 160Nm). Mine in the pic is 400mm long. The socket is an impact type but standard will do. This one is 3/4" drive but 1/2" is fine as long as good quality. To avoid scratching the wheel wrap a layer of plastic tape around the business end of the socket. You'll also need your locking wheel nut socket of course.

IMG_2059.jpg

Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Thanks Nick. Super helpful.

I'll price one up but definitely the longer wrench will help with leverage. I'd imagine also makes a good alternative to a baseball bat too :lol:

Now to decide whether the jack that comes with the car is enough or do i get a 2 ton trolley jack.
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

Has anyone found a suitable jack pad that I can use between my Macan and my bottle jack?

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981