rear wheels

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

pmg wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:20 pm I think I would say if you want a car that drives like an Audi buy an Audi in the 1st place rather than pay for a Porsche and then turn it into an Audi and in addition risking insurance etc. it would also be a modification you would have to tell Ins Co about.
So you are saying putting Audi wheels on a Porsche turns a Porsche into an Audi :?: , when there are numerous parts on the Macan that are Audi parts. Also if you read my previous post it does state insurance Co have been advised.

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Both the Macan and the Q5 are 4 wheel drive but the Porsche is rear wheel biased, whilst the Audi is front wheel biased. That is primarily why the rear wheels (as with most rear wheel performance cars) are wider, to support traction, grip and control under power. Really not the wisest move to fit same all round, forget about warranty it would definitely void your insurance if you were to be involved in an accident. 🙄
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

A Macan was designed to have wider wheels on the rear. Fitting the same size all round will loose the balance of the car both completely. I dread to think what awful things it would do to an already weak transfer gearbox. Will, IMHO, just looks and feels wrong.
Last edited by Rab J on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Col M

Post by Col M »

It’s more the other way. Fronts are narrower to make steering easier.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

Col M wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:36 pm It’s more the other way. Fronts are narrower to make steering easier.
Good point.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

vanduara37 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:46 pm
Col M wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:36 pm It’s more the other way. Fronts are narrower to make steering easier.
Good point.
Good point 🙄 Really! If that’s the case why aren’t they narrower on the Audi 😴
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
pmg

Post by pmg »

vanduara37 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:43 pm
pmg wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:20 pm I think I would say if you want a car that drives like an Audi buy an Audi in the 1st place rather than pay for a Porsche and then turn it into an Audi and in addition risking insurance etc. it would also be a modification you would have to tell Ins Co about.
So you are saying putting Audi wheels on a Porsche turns a Porsche into an Audi :?: , when there are numerous parts on the Macan that are Audi parts. Also if you read my previous post it does state insurance Co have been advised.
I thin using Audi/VW parts is fine when there is the same design aim. On chassis, a Porsche 4wd vehicle aims for a RWD bias, that is not an Audi aim in fact there are either front biased or neutral.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Have you compared the load rating of the tyres on your Audi wheels with those of the original Porsche tyres :?:

Porsche put a lot of effort into the Macan's suspension design and the wheel widths and tyre ratings are part of that. Seems a shame to ignore all that effort for something that might look better standing still but could have consequences on the road.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Donald.m

Post by Donald.m »

Sorry, you’ve done what??!!

I totally agree Macao’s look so much better on bigger wheels.

I’d also agree that SQ5 wheels are pretty decent wheels

But it doesn’t sound like they are suitable for putting on a macan even if they physically fit.
Sounds like they have altered the rear track, maybe fronts too and as such are out of specification, if the rear track is now too narrow then handling will be adversely affected at the very least, not sure I’d be using spacers on a heavy suv type vehicle, they inherently weaken the wheel hub interface.

Also not sure your insurance will be valid even if notified because they would expect any replacement wheels to be the same specifications as originals except width and diameter perhaps so they maintain original driving characteristics

I get why you’ve done it, just sounds inadvisable, sorry!!
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

Sorry, you’ve done what??!!

I totally agree Macao’s look so much better on bigger wheels.

I get why you’ve done it, just sounds inadvisable, sorry!!
No idea what a Macao is.
There really was no need to say "sorry" (twice) it was only an experiment. :roll: