Window cleaning

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
JurassicGTS
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:19 pm
Location: Sunny Dorset and Marbella

Post by JurassicGTS » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:57 pm

As soon as any moisture gets on my Macan, the side windows, rear windows and sunroof have a streaky finish to them.
It's almost like some form of coating, maybe something the OPC applied when new.

I have used Autoglym fast glass, clear glass and a couple of other products but the streaks still show whenever damp.

Anyone else suffer from this and any ideas as to what the best window cleaner is?
MY 2018 Carmine red GTS (ours)
MY2014 Boxster S GT Silver Anniversary spec.
2017 Nissan Leaf
2006 Merecedes Benz 500SL Brilliant silver
2016 Mazda CX3 Pearlescent white (dogs)

MikeM
Posts: 1496
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:13 pm

Post by MikeM » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:41 pm

JurassicMacan wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:57 pm
As soon as any moisture gets on my Macan, the side windows, rear windows and sunroof have a streaky finish to them.
It's almost like some form of coating, maybe something the OPC applied when new.

I have used Autoglym fast glass, clear glass and a couple of other products but the streaks still show whenever damp.

Anyone else suffer from this and any ideas as to what the best window cleaner is?
Isopropyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol, but don’t drink it 😳. If there is a coating and the IPA doesn’t remove it? you could also use a clay bar 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. Boxster S Sport
2012. 991 S
2016. Macan Turbo http://www.porsche-code.com/PHKPBML4
Current
2020. Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PM5815A9

User avatar
Paul
Posts: 8603
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:19 pm
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Post by Paul » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:39 pm

I thought they all came with some sort of coating on the side windows from the factory? (or it could just be my failing memory😳)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Partysausage
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:12 pm

Post by Partysausage » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:55 am

A friend in a 7.30am haze has mistakenly sprayed a grout sealant on the car instead of de-icer!

User avatar
Guy
Posts: 2089
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am
Location: Buckinghamshire

Post by Guy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:27 am

Partysausage wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:55 am
A friend in a 7.30am haze has mistakenly sprayed a grout sealant on the car instead of de-icer!

I once used Autoglym Tyre Dressing instead of Fast Glass on my rear screen - that was a bit sticky to remove :roll:

MikeM
Posts: 1496
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:13 pm

Post by MikeM » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:51 am

Partysausage wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:55 am
A friend in a 7.30am haze has mistakenly sprayed a grout sealant on the car instead of de-icer!
😳 😖🥺
Previous Porsche’s
2008. Boxster S Sport
2012. 991 S
2016. Macan Turbo http://www.porsche-code.com/PHKPBML4
Current
2020. Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PM5815A9

User avatar
Nuclear Nick
Posts: 2848
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:42 pm
Location: Bristol

Post by Nuclear Nick » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:43 am

Paul wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:39 pm
I thought they all came with some sort of coating on the side windows from the factory? (or it could just be my failing memory😳)
That’s correct Paul, the old grey cells are still functioning! :lol:
Nick

Macan Turbo Sept ‘16 - sold Aug ‘21

991.2 C2 GTS March ‘18

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

JurassicGTS
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:19 pm
Location: Sunny Dorset and Marbella

Post by JurassicGTS » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:05 pm

Nuclear Nick wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:43 am
Paul wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:39 pm
I thought they all came with some sort of coating on the side windows from the factory? (or it could just be my failing memory😳)
That’s correct Paul, the old grey cells are still functioning! :lol:
I presume this starts to wear off, maybe causing this streaking effect?
What does the Porsche coating achieve and would it therefore be okay to use alcohol to totally remove it?
MY 2018 Carmine red GTS (ours)
MY2014 Boxster S GT Silver Anniversary spec.
2017 Nissan Leaf
2006 Merecedes Benz 500SL Brilliant silver
2016 Mazda CX3 Pearlescent white (dogs)

gpmac
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:35 am

Post by gpmac » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:43 pm

Window cleaning, the most annoying element of car cleaning :lol:

Solution: Clay bar the windows first, then clean with diluted IPA (50% IPA/50% distilled water to avoid any hard water spots forming) and finally one or two coats of Rain-X, works a treat for me and my Macan lives outside in all weathers

Cheers

Graham
Cheers Graham

Current: Macan Turbo Performance Pack 2017 Carmine Red; 993 Carrera 4S 1996 Arena Red; Cayman 2008 Meteor Grey,

Previous: 1976 911 2.7; 964 Carrera 2 1991 Midnight Blue

JurassicGTS
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:19 pm
Location: Sunny Dorset and Marbella

Post by JurassicGTS » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:22 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Really frustrating as they look perfect when dry but as soon as slightly damp they have this horrible smeary effect.
MY 2018 Carmine red GTS (ours)
MY2014 Boxster S GT Silver Anniversary spec.
2017 Nissan Leaf
2006 Merecedes Benz 500SL Brilliant silver
2016 Mazda CX3 Pearlescent white (dogs)

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post