Detailing and washing your Macan

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

You wait Ferdie, for the tirade of abuse to follow from the snow foaming, no touch, pat dry forum members...

(although I do confess I would not be brave enough to go rubbing a dirty car with no water...... )

LOL just realised - bit of a misnomer, there is water involved just not more than a bucket or so. Did you think I was suggesting wiping the gravel off with a damp jay cloth

ONR is an 'odd' 1:500 solution that seems to roll off the paint (allegedly) taking the dirt with it
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960

Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

While on topic of cleaning abuses - I have just collected car after OPC first 'complimentary' Autoglym refresh have not powered up my portable reflectometer to check for swirls but looks clean and shiny. Was delivered from inside showroom just like new car - nice.

In the meanwhile I had Boxster 718 S for 24hrs, Nice car real go and great with roof down even in wet weather. PDK was a bit odd, found myself briefly in neutral and a little jerky in car parks, maybe after a few more miles it will have settled in , Enjoyed having a sound track (none on SD) but seemed a bit ordinary for me, almost nicer with PSE off. Did go very well though could use it every day as well. Nice car but for ~£55k makes a Macan seems great value

991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
happy days

Post by happy days »

Ok, tried foaming the other night. Both cars were reasonably presentable and would have waited until the weekend, although the McCann had been on a 700+ mile trip the week before and was covered in bug residue.

Almost impossible to foam the 718 without getting the roof plastered. I might throw a few towels over the roof in future. No such issues with McCann, obviously.

Using Ultimate Finish, someone on here, I believe, recommended a 1/3 dilution, ie 1/3 SF and 2/3 hot water. Totally rubbish with my Karcher sprayer, almost dripped straight off. Tried it undiluted after that and it was a wee bit better, but not much. Might need a new washer, but frig that. The foam didn't stay on long so I had to keep going over it again and again. I tried all sorts of adjustments, but even at max it still dripped off. The min setting (that some have advised, although maybe with different systems?) just spouted out loads more water, so that didn't work either.

The end finish was pretty good, although disappointing on the bug shifting. They stayed firmly in place! One thing I noticed, there seemed to be a lot more residual water than with using a wash mitt and buckets so drying took a lot longer and involved much more contact than using mitt and buckets.
Macan S D
718 S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Snow foam is really only a pre-wash aid to soften the dirt; unless the car was squeaky clean prior, you'll also need to use some shampoo, mitt, 2 buckets etc etc. I only tend to use foam when the car is really clarted up (like after our jaunt to Wales in March!)
Can't say what the mix should be - I use a cheapi hand held pump which works fine at around 10:1 (water to jollop) but it does have some foam discs in the nozzle which must help with the air injection.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Ok, tried foaming the other night. The foam didn't stay on long so I had to keep going over it again and again. I tried all sorts of adjustments, but even at max it still dripped off. The min setting (that some have advised, although maybe with different systems?) just spouted out loads more water, so that didn't work either.

I had the same problem with my karcher foam gun, a quick check revealed the feed tube had come off inside the bottle, after it was re-attached, all OK, good thick foam. Screw was fully in and using Bilt Hamber auto foam. decent result.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
VanB

Post by VanB »

I use the ultimate Finish with my Karcher but add a capful of car shampoo to a 3:1 mix and it works much better than the snow foam alone. Worth giving a try.

Also I can get away with a snow foam wash followed by a filtered rinse in between valet washes without using mitts. Although not perfect it gets the car 80% clean so that it doesn't look like it's been used as a tractor!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
happy days

Post by happy days »

Ok, tried foaming the other night. The foam didn't stay on long so I had to keep going over it again and again. I tried all sorts of adjustments, but even at max it still dripped off. The min setting (that some have advised, although maybe with different systems?) just spouted out loads more water, so that didn't work either.

I had the same problem with my karcher foam gun, a quick check revealed the feed tube had come off inside the bottle, after it was re-attached, all OK, good thick foam. Screw was fully in and using Bilt Hamber auto foam. decent result.

See that's what mine looked like too. I thought it should be more foamy? That looks like it's dripping off too fast, for me?
Macan S D
718 S
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

See that's what mine looked like too. I thought it should be more foamy? That looks like it's dripping off too fast, for me?
It didn't drip too fast, I had sprayed a lot on the floor by accident, not sure how thick it should be. My valve had stuck fully in and I couldn't adjust it with wet hands, so just went with it as it was. Next time I'll try adding some shampoo, see if it thickens up. The car wasn't too dirty, but really dusty so this foam plus a good jet wash rinse is enough to get it clean. Then some microfibre towels and job done - for a few days!
If really dirty, it's a wash mitt and soft brush down the sides.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I use the ultimate Finish with my Karcher but add a capful of car shampoo to a 3:1 mix and it works much better than the snow foam alone.  Worth giving a try.  

Also I can get away with a snow foam wash followed by a filtered rinse in between valet washes without using mitts.  Although not perfect it gets the car 80% clean so that it doesn't look like it's been used as a tractor!

Thats my way also.

Which reminds me it needs doing again
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
happy days

Post by happy days »

I use the ultimate Finish with my Karcher but add a capful of car shampoo to a 3:1 mix and it works much better than the snow foam alone. Worth giving a try.

Also I can get away with a snow foam wash followed by a filtered rinse in between valet washes without using mitts. Although not perfect it gets the car 80% clean so that it doesn't look like it's been used as a tractor!

3 Foam to 1 Water? or 3W1F?
Macan S D
718 S