Detailing Problems

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
microbe

Post by microbe »

I took my car to be detailed a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased with the results. At least I was until yesterday when I used the wipers for the first time and they juddered across the screen on the down sweep for all 15 miles of my journey home. I had a word with the guy who did the work and he stated that the Tesla cars he had detailed had this problem which was due to left hand wipers being installed on a right hand drive car and he had seen it once on an Audi.

He suggested replacing the blades or treating them with something to eliminate the judder or he could remove the coating. It would appear that the covalent bond formed between the coating and glass would make it very difficult for home removal.

I decided to go with the latter as I found the wipers very good prior to the treatment and had the coating removed this morning, which he did by using a cerum oxide based glass polish with a polishing machine. I just need it to rain again to check that has eliminated the juddering.

Has anybody else experienced this problem after detailing?
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9

Retired

Post by Retired »

microbe wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:14 pm
.......was due to left hand wipers being installed on a right hand drive car ..........
Really?!
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

Its actually quite common if you use a coating with rain X, but no way it should happen on a professionally detailed car.

I have found if the rubber is not spotless it can exaggerate the problem so can I suggest you really clean the wiper blades and see if its better
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
microbe

Post by microbe »

Retired wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:20 pm
microbe wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:14 pm
.......was due to left hand wipers being installed on a right hand drive car ..........
Really?!
Indeed. He thought it may be an issue with Porsche, who may automatically install left hand wipers on a right hand drive car
microbe

Post by microbe »

rossman999 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:08 pm Its actually quite common if you use a coating with rain X, but no way it should happen on a professionally detailed car.

I have found if the rubber is not spotless it can exaggerate the problem so can I suggest you really clean the wiper blades and see if its better
He obviously did not use Rain X but did not suggest cleaning the wipers and it did not occur to me to do so. He did clean them after removing the glass coating and yes they were pretty filthy. No surprise after 6 months ownership I suppose. I must remember to add wiper cleaning to my washing protocol
wavestar

Post by wavestar »

I've currently got this problem with GTechniq G1 which I applied a couple of months ago.
Just on my Macan, I do not have the same on my wifes Evoque, dunno why.

Going to try putting G5 over the top to see what happens.
GTechniq forums do talk a lot about giving the wipers a darn good clean and coat (I did coat them as recommended, but even now when I wash the car if I wipe the wipers I still get a lot of black from the new rubber coming off, so I think the wipers need more running in)

wavestar
Garage:
2017 Macan GTS (PH49T3K4)
2014 Evoque (wife's)
Dearly departed:
2010 Cayman S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Quick spanner in the works (😉)....I've never coated a windscreen with anything. Even when I used rain-x (or others) I only did the side windows. I always found the wipers left a brief, but annoying film as they swept.
Also, don't clean the blades too vigourously as you'll wipe off the graphite coating which makes them glide (or not in your case!)
Try a set of Bosche aero blades off Amazon if there's no improvement.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
microbe

Post by microbe »

I have just been out to test the wipers and there is no juddering.

I had to spray the windscreen with water as it stopped raining a few hours ago so they only operated 2 or 3 times but they cleared the windscreen without juddering.

Not sure whether removing the glass coating or cleaning the blades fixed it but at least the car is useable again
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wiper judder was a very common problem and I had it with Macan 1.

A swap to Bosch units solved the judder I had with the SD, which reminds me I forgot to swap them back when the SD went, damn.

Not had judder with the Turbo despite the Gtech screen treatment
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Mine was G Techniq treated and suffered some shuddering and definitely the 'film' issue mentioned by Paul. It was great over 30 in persistent rain as the screen self-cleaned so didn't need the blades at all unless it was really heavy but they struggled in the lighter stuff. It passed after a few months - presumably worn off!
Still get shuddering on the rear and hadn't had to do any really wet driving til Sunday and whilst it shuddered for a short while it settled down quite quickly.
I did give the front screen a good cleaning with G Techniq window cleaner recently as well - mainly for the bugs - and had no issues afterwards. Thinks I'll do the rear as well.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀