Best products/techniques for cleaning black Spyders?

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
jk88

Post by jk88 »

I have the standard satin black Spyders on my GTS and find they can end up looking a little dull after washing - any of you black Spyder owners out there have any recommendations for products or techniques to help them shine a little?
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

They are supposed to be dull, aren’t they?!

I wipe them over with a micro fibre with a small amount of quick detailer on it to remove any last marks.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Spray with a fall out remover

Wait 5 minutes

Pressure wash off

Spray with SnoFoam or CitrusFoam

Wait 5 minutes

Pressure wash off

Using two bucket method, use wheel woolies brushes to get into inner rim and between spokes, regularly rinse brushes and shake off before dunking brush in the shampoo bucket.

When as much grime as possible is removed then use the microfibre was mit to repeat the prior process

Pressure wash off

Rinse with filtered/softened water

Dry

Spray with detailing spray

Dry
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Have you had the car detailed?

If not having at least the wheels treated with Gtechniq Wheel Armour C5 will help in the cleaning.

Getechniq Fall Out remover W6

Gtechniq Quick Detailer

All their products http://gtechniq.com/products/

Valet Pro Snow Foam

Muc Off is a heavy duty dirt and grime remover that I used for many years on my motorcycle alloy wheels, spray on with a domestic type hand sprayer.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

As per comments above I was under the impression they were a little dull and not shiny.

I can highly recommend Gtechniq C5 as it makes washing the wheels a breeze. I don't have the spyders but I would definitely get them protected to make this task 10 times easier.

More often than not I can just power rinse and wheel woolly them clean and dry with no other addition required. If really dirty then Col method is good 👍
I can't say that about my other non Gtechniq car. Takes me just as long to do the wheels as it does the rest of the whole car 😟
GTS 😀
Paul

Post by Paul »

GTS spiders area matt finish.....and a pain to clean.....I started off with foam / fallout remover etc etc but always had to finish off by hand to get in the last corners, so now I just power wash and wheel woolies, dry with a microfibre and apply a bit of top-up wax / detailer.
I did coat them myself with some collinite 845 which makes them so much easier to clean, but I guess it depends how particular you are.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
PaulMacan

Post by PaulMacan »

I applied the Gtechniq C5 to my black spyders; it's about £30 DIY job. After cleaning they look very good and continue to do so for longer than they did before the C5. It definitely helps with the cleaning but it's not a magic bullet, I find that I still need to snow foam, pressure wash, iron and fallout remover, wheel woollies and microfiber cloth to get the best results.
The other thing that I have found is once they spyders are covered in brake dust, they are matt black and looks as good as they do when cleaned and shiny.
So I'd recommend the C5 but you also need to accept they will take you half an hour to clean.

PM

Macan S - loved and sold - PHJZAJA8
Current- Macan GTS - PHVF1HX0
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

I tend to find that a little Swissvax Autobahn wax tends to liven up the matt finish of wheels. I use it on both the classics on my car and our second car which has a matt finish like the spyders.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
spook

Post by spook »

Had my 21" Satin Platinum Sports Classics coated with Gtechniq CS Black same as the bodywork.
16 months in no problem cleaning them and they look as good as new.
I just spray on diluted bilberry, let it dwell for a minute or two and wash off with a sponge and clean water only using a small wheel brush in the wheel nuts recesses . Might spray on some Gtechniq quick detailer every 3 or 4 washs to keep up the surface protection.
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
jk88

Post by jk88 »

Thanks for all the tips. I already do the full snow foam, fallout remover, bilberry stuff, powerwash, microfiber cloth routine. The final finish can just appear slightly dull (I'm not looking for any sort of bright shine, just how they are meant to look when new, ie a soft matt sheen to them). Sounds like I should finish off with a detailer of some sort.

I agree they are a pain to clean (had 20 Sportdesigns on my previous SD), however they do hide the dirt and brake dust very well as a few have mentioned.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17