Tyre dressing that doesn't fling doors!!

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I was cleaning my car at the weekend and a guy walked past and said 'nice car'. I genuinely think that's the first time someone's even noticed it in 10 months of ownership!

I actually had cause to put the roof bars and box on recently. It was good to put the U into SUV for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.

TD444

Post by TD444 »

MCDK wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:45 pm A funny story from last week....

We were driving slow down a small road near a beach in Donegal. Sun roof open, met a few young guys walking along the road, one said in a very loud voice to his mates

"Oh my God, it's a Ferrari". We had a very hearty laugh for a while after that.
Nice one...! Saying that the Ferrari SUV is coming is it not??
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHN2UAS9
Order Date 16 Nov - Expected delivery ~April / May 2016
Collected Tue 3rd May
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hawkeye wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:12 pm I was cleaning my car at the weekend and a guy walked past and said 'nice car'. I genuinely think that's the first time someone's even noticed it in 10 months of ownership!

I actually had cause to put the roof bars and box on recently. It was good to put the U into SUV for a while!

Looking good, Hawkeye! 8-)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

MCDK wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:08 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:54 pm
MCDK wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:38 pm Really annoying as I have cracked the drips from the mirrors that really annoyed me so just need to solve this one too.

How did you crack the issue of water dripping from the mirrors?! 💦 Please share :geek:
The majority of the water comes from around the indicators in the mirrors and also the puddle light below the mirror. I use my compressor to blow around these areas and get the excess water moved away. Seems to work a treat as I don't have any drips now. Considering replacing the compressor with one of the car dryers or pet dryers but can't decide which one would be best so haven't yet invested.

Thanks, MCDK. 👍
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Hawkeye wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:12 pm I was cleaning my car at the weekend and a guy walked past and said 'nice car'. I genuinely think that's the first time someone's even noticed it in 10 months of ownership!

I don't have roof bars on the Macan but I do on another car and that's exactly what I would do if I needed more boot space. I really don't want a bigger car to drive.

Looks lovely and clean too with the best wheels 👍
GTS 😀
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Exactly. Drive the right size car for 10 months and then for the one occasion needed, create the extra capacity needed. Even had room for a bike carrier on the roof the other side of the roof box.

No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
happy days

Post by happy days »

MCDK wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:21 pm my Sapphire GTS seemed to be quite a hit, plenty of looks and even a few pics taken :lol:
You weren't in Warrenpoint a few weeks ago parked in the Square? I was trying to get a parking spot beside a sapphire Macan while in my 718 - you don't often see two sapphire cars together in NI!
Macan S D
718 S
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Nope wasn't me in Warrenpoint. There are a few sapphire Macans about but still pretty rare sights.
Malk

Post by Malk »

I have only every used SIlicone never had any issue with flicking
Diesel S Taken delivery 12/04/14
Replaced 4/7/14
Sold back to OPC 10/10/15
Now proud owner of 3rd Macan Volcano Grey 2.0T **WHICH IS UP FOR SALE**
Ordered 1st Edition XC40 T5 :o

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHW6XE96
Red5

Post by Red5 »

I’m pretty fussy with this and hate have a clean car without doing the tyre walls too. Looks like 1/2 a job to me :oops:

I’ve used Autosmart ‘Finish’ non solvent rubber & plastics renovator, for about 15 years now.
It’s a watery white fluid, that I spray (so I can’t spill it) onto a 2” paint brush and apply liberally.

It looks all streaky for a few mins, but dries to a dense matt black that lasts a good while.
I’ve tried wiping off the excess before, if I want to drive away that second, but not really needed.
No need to do much to the tyres before hand. Just a quick wipe round as you complete the wheel washing.

I’ve also used it to clean and darken down wheel arch liners. (Non fabric ones)
For this, I use an old dustpan brush. Even if not perfectly clea in there, it still dries to a non sticky matt black.

I buy a 5L container and it lasts a couple of years at least. It’s really cheap too, but is designed for the trade, so comes in plain looking containers. No frills just function.

I’ve also tried other things, but keep coming back to this, as it just keeps working.
I know some other ‘Brands’ have diluted and re-sold this stuff for quite a bit more too!!

I’ve always had a feeling that it’s those black / gell like fluids that flick off. The ones that are designed to make your tyres look all wet and shiny.
I’m not a fan of that anyway, so have never had the problem.

If I was you, I’d give Finish a try. I doubt you’ll bother with anything else ever again.

Yes, I’m aware I’ve given this too much thought :P