Orbital Polisher

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

My son bought me an Orbital Polisher for Christmas and today as the weather wasn't too bad I thought I'd give it a go. First victim was the MINI as I've never used one before and decided I wouldn't feel too bad if I cocked up on that. It was surprisingly easy to use and having roughly followed the instructions the results were way beyond my expectations. I even managed to get rid of a few annoying scratches which made me very happy.

Enthused, I set about the wife's Cayman and when she saw the results she was over the moon and thought it looked better that when it was new. Last one of the day was the Macan but as the light was fading I had to hurry which was a little disappointing but it still looked pretty good when I'd finished.

All in all I think it was the best present this year (apart from maybe the Apple TV 4K which makes films look amazing on a 65" 4K TV). I was going to take some pictures but as I say the light has pretty much gone now so will have to wait until the morning depending on the weather.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Got a DA Polisher for Christmas as well but have not been brave enough yet to try it.

What machine did you get and what polishes or compounds were you using. Amazed you got 3 cars done as my impression was that one car would take a very long time. Also needs the full treatment in my mind of tar remover and fallout remover to start with then a light cutting compound followed by polish then a wax coat. Then rest lol.
andreas

Post by andreas »

I try not to polish cars, but simply to handwash them carefully. Power polishers have the potential to introduce scratches.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I have got 2 polishers which I sort of inherited but have not tried them as yet - have to give them a go.
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

MCDK wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:18 pm Got a DA Polisher for Christmas as well but have not been brave enough yet to try it.

What machine did you get and what polishes or compounds were you using. Amazed you got 3 cars done as my impression was that one car would take a very long time. Also needs the full treatment in my mind of tar remover and fallout remover to start with then a light cutting compound followed by polish then a wax coat. Then rest lol.
Its a Halfords own brand, just a basic machine really with 2 bonnets, one for applying the polish and a soft buffer. Although quite dirty the cars are washed regularly so not much work to get them all clean and ready using the jet wash and snow foam. I used a product called Bullet Silicon Sealant which I've used for years and has always given pretty good results by hand and even more impressed using it with the machine. Normally I'd finish off with Sonex Xtreme Detailer but as I ran out of time today that'll have to wait until next time.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I am ashamed to say I last washed my car in August. [emoji15]. I may try and wash it again on New Year’s Day to start 2018 on the right foot. My wife sees car washing as a complete waste of time that could be better spent with her and our little son!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:57 pm I am ashamed to say I last washed my car in August. [emoji15]. I may try and wash it again on New Year’s Day to start 2018 on the right foot. My wife sees car washing as a complete waste of time that could be better spent with her and our little son!
😊😊 she’s probably right......😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

3 in a day!!!!

I have just finished my Macan which needed only minor refining on the bonnet and that took me 2 days solid work!!
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
IainSmith

Post by IainSmith »

I have a polisher as well. I’ve had it for a few years and up to now I’ve not used it on the Macan. The previous BMW, it was used regularly to get swirls and scratches out.

I use website www.cleanyourcar.co.uk for compounds and pads. Also there are demos of using a polisher for those who are using them for the first time.

One tip from me is.., do it in stages with lots of checks mid polishing. It’s harder/impossible to put the paint/lacquer back on once you’ve taken it off.