Detailing from Porsche dealer prior to collection

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Davismj

Post by Davismj »

Had confirmation from the dealer that the treatment they offer is Swissvax, using Carnauba Wax not Gtechniq

Based on looking at this forum and the useful posts, I am assuming that it would be unwise to spend £600 on this and instead spend the extra for a professional detailer using Gtechniq?

B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Absolutely - my detailer charged around £500 for machine polish and ceramic MOHS+ with a five year warranty. £600 for a wax is criminal!!!!
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

B737NGWS wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:24 pm Absolutely - my detailer charged around £500 for machine polish and ceramic MOHS+ with a five year warranty. £600 for a wax is criminal!!!!
Wax will give a deeper shine, and natural carnauba (sp) doesn't come cheap... the effort involved in waxing is also equal to if not greater than applying a serum/ceramic coating. most of that £600 will be labour.

natural product has a life of 3 months max on a well cared for car, ceramic will last far longer...
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
VanB

Post by VanB »

I've had Swissvax on my last 2 Porsches but negotiated it free. This time I'm having a professional detailer apply a proper ceramic coating which will hopefully allow me to spruce the car up with no more than a snow foam and pressure wash between proper cleans.

Cars look great after the Swissvax treatment but it's very short-lived and no way would I pay £600 for it.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Gtechniq isn't the be all and end all. Gyeon also do excellent finishes.

I'd speak to a few detailers - Exclusive Car Care, Richard Tipper, Stuart at F1 Wax and so on. Get a spread of opinion from professionals who have worked on the cars. They'll know the materials and if they maintain the vehicles after a new car detail, they'll be able to comment on the success of treatments and products.

When the GTS arrives, I'm going to try Arctic Coat on it http://www.arcticcoating.com/ as it has been very well reviewed and was recommended. The only UK certified detailer is going to apply it so we'll see how well it works and lasts.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Good comment alxgb there are lots of good products out there but only G-Techniq seems to be mentioned on this forum. Having spoken to a number of detailers and OPC the general consensus is that the marketing is better than the product and there are newcomers to the market all the time worthy of consideration.

Never heard of arctic dooberrywhatsit but, if you're confident, why not give it a go?
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

As per above comments I would not pay £600 for Swissvax...
Probably applied by the car washing person. 🙄

Plenty of good ceramic coatings as above not just Gtechniq but I cannot fault Gtechniq CS Black topped with EXO v3 Total protection. 13 months on and still like it was on day 1. My cars are well maintained though and garaged though.

Just find a good detailer as this is the most important part. See what ceramic coatings they offer based on what you want to spend.

You don’t need to spend much more than the £600 to have a professional ceramic coating done and a machine polish.

But it would be pointless if you then take it to car wash or the local car wash people as it won’t last...
GTS 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

VanB wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:38 pm Good comment alxgb there are lots of good products out there but only G-Techniq seems to be mentioned on this forum.

Pretty sure that Steve W had his white Macan GTS detailed with the Gyeon Mohs (?) product. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

alxgb wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:27 pm Gtechniq isn't the be all and end all. Gyeon also do excellent finishes.

I'd speak to a few detailers - Exclusive Car Care, Richard Tipper, Stuart at F1 Wax and so on. Get a spread of opinion from professionals who have worked on the cars. They'll know the materials and if they maintain the vehicles after a new car detail, they'll be able to comment on the success of treatments and products.

When the GTS arrives, I'm going to try Arctic Coat on it http://www.arcticcoating.com/ as it has been very well reviewed and was recommended. The only UK certified detailer is going to apply it so we'll see how well it works and lasts.
If I was a ProDetailer and one product cost me £x and another cost me less, both would be offered at the same price per completed job to the customer then the one with the cheaper materials is the one that I would promote.

Especially if the end result was similar.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

"Never heard of arctic dooberrywhatsit but, if you're confident, why not give it a go?"

They originate from a country where I doubt many people get to do the 'two bucket method' on account of temperatures. Got to be something in that. Detailer is giving me a 7 year guarantee on it. :D

It's like Topaz Detailing, there is a great social media circle jerk with that company where nobody says anything negative about them.

Having used them to PPF one of my cars, I would go elsewhere next time. Poor value for money and the guy I dealt with had no concept of service. Full coverage is not full coverage. To give an example - taking my wing - only the top, leading and trailing edges were covered. Similarly, no rolled edges on surfaces where it wouldn't require disassembly to do so. 'It's the cutting pattern we use' was offered as a reason.