Detailing from Porsche dealer prior to collection

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Davismj

Post by Davismj »

Have a GTS ordered with a confirmed Feb build slot.

The Porsche dealer noted that they offer a Gtechniq treatment for a fixed price. Have asked for more details and exactly what is provided for what price, but keen to see what others have done in terms of new car detailing prior to collection (which is more convenient) or arranging post collection. I am based in Surrey (Porsche dealer is Guildford)

Thanks all in advance

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi

If you are considering Gtechniq detailing, personally I would pay a professional detailer to do it, rather than someone in your Porsche Centre, as the Porsche valeter is not going to take as much time & effort as a full-time professional detailer.

It will be interesting to hear the price & exactly what is offered by your OPC.

A few OPCs allow detailers to use their premises.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
spook

Post by spook »

I have noticed that some OPC's are now offering Gtechniq products themselves but I doubt they are Gtechniq accredited and are just using standard products that you and I can buy from Evilbay or Gtechniq direct. Being cynical OPC's are just trying to jump on the bandwagon because buyers are not buying autoguard or autoglym off them anymore.

When I bought the Macan I had it detailed (CS blacked) by an Gtechniq accredited detailer( Adam - Finest Detail ) at my OPC prior to pickup. An accredited detailer uses products joe public can't buy and his work is guaranteed for several years (CSU Black now has a 9 year guarantee).

Having lockdown a 991.C2 I have already arranged for it to be detailed (CSU Blacked) by the Adam at my OPC, again prior to pick up.

Adam who does work all over the UK also does occasional work for my OPC, so they don't mind giving him time, space and facilities in one of their workshops. Adam doing this also allows him to address the car as it arrived ( ie. no OPC products applied).

However detailers do not usually like working at garages because they have problems gaining space and facilities ( power etc)

Click link below to list the Gtechniq detailers near you.

https://gtechniq.com/detailing-services/
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

I agreed with my OPC (JCT600 Sheffield) for my detailer to fully prep the car and apply ceramic sealant on the Porsche premises prior to handover. Results were perfect!

IMG_0718.JPG

Paul

Post by Paul »

If the dealership is charging you (say) £500+ then you are better off letting a “ professional” detailer do it for a similarish price.
They will spend longer, take more care and, probably, carry out a fine paint correction over a 2 day period whereas the dealership valters will be pushed fir time and may not (not in all cases) have the same attention to detail.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

Thanks to advice on here I went the post-collection detailing route with a proper detailer who applied GTechniq CS black. Great results, very happy. My OPC didn't offer GTechniq (last September).
pj191k89
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As the saying goes ......... no way Jose.

A Pro Detailer will probably take at least a day prepping the car, by prepping I mean claying the whole car and then buffing all the paintwork.

The wheels will take the best part of 1/2 a day to clean and buff up off the car.

The CS is applied and wheel armour applied to the wheels, another buff up and a top coating of EXO. Car on axel stands for at least a day before wheels put back on.

All this work and inside is still to do.

Do you think that a Porsche dealer given the turnover of cars has the staff to go into this level of activity on each new car, personally I dont.

The only way I would (and did) have an OPC detail a new car of mine was if I only intended to own the car for a short time.

This is what I did with my SD and the OPC finish was not a patch on the level of finish on my Turbo that a Pro Detailer did.

For more info check out my Washing and Detailing thread in the Tech section.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

To add to the above I would go down the accredited Gtechniq detailer route which you can find from the Gtechniq website link spook has posted. I have done this for all my cars.

The OPC will offer you Gtechniq platinum. This is only from an OPC and the relevant person who is applying the Gtechniq products has been trained by Gtechniq. Costs around £600 and you get a nice kit of Gtechniq goodies. It’s far superior to the Autoglym products.

If you go down Gtechniq detailer route your costs will go up but the finish is far superior. My cars took 4-5 days each in the detailers controlled environment so it can be cured etc.
As per Col Lambs comments above look at the detailing thread which is well worth a read.

Gtechniq have put their prices up in the last 8 months or so but speak to your detailer who may be happy to do a deal for you.
Advise to call them early as my detailer has a 3 month waiting list and has had for the last 18 months...

The finish a detailer will produce is incredible. It’s who applies the product which is just as important as the product itself which is why a pro detailer takes longer and charges accordingly.
GTS 😀
Davismj

Post by Davismj »

Thanks all for the advice. I have never had a car detailed before so to ask a probably basic question, post the initial detailing, which looks to be around £800+ what is the approach for ongoing cleaning?

I have read a lot of the threads and I don’t have an easy ability to clean the car at home so rely on car wash services, have previously used local guys but that’s been due to current car not being worth the extra cost.

I can look at having a monthly valet from a good local company but this adds further to the costs - does the detailing provide enough protection to make the all in costs worth it? Trying to balance the large expense vs the benefits through time
Paul

Post by Paul »

If you are unable to spend a good few hours every month going through a very careful ritual of foam, 2 buckets, drying cloths and so on then its probably not worth spending £800.

Any paint sealant system will make the car easier to wash and less likely to get as dirty as quickly but it is no magic force field.

Your local car wash (mechanical brushless / human or otherwise) will quickly spoil the finish your detailer worked so hard to obtain.

Unless you are able / willing to pay a fair chunk once every couple of months to a local, good, valeter then you won’t see the benefit of a full pro detail.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465