Gtechniq from an OPC

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

So I'm buying a 2yr old metallic black Panamera from Glasgow, I'm offered Gtechnic. "So you're an approved detailer" I ask, "yes" they say. Before I commit, knowing that the only Gtechnc detailer in Norfolk has closed down, and I want some form of paint protection on the car, I telephone Gtechnic and am advised that although they are approved, its only platinum stuff with a 5 year guarantee, they are not trained on the higher quality stuff that I had applied to the Macan. I doubt the paint will be prepped to the standard a detailer would, probably a quick wash and no real swirl correction first, so I've declined. Problem is there are no proper detailers near me, so should I change my mind and let them do it - a dilemma.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

How much are the OPC asking for the treatment and how far from home is your nearest official Approved Gtechniq detailer?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 pm So I'm buying a 2yr old metallic black Panamera from Glasgow, I'm offered Gtechnic. "So you're an approved detailer" I ask, "yes" they say. Before I commit, knowing that the only Gtechnc detailer in Norfolk has closed down, and I want some form of paint protection on the car, I telephone Gtechnic and am advised that although they are approved, its only platinum stuff with a 5 year guarantee, they are not trained on the higher quality stuff that I had applied to the Macan. I doubt the paint will be prepped to the standard a detailer would, probably a quick wash and no real swirl correction first, so I've declined. Problem is there are no proper detailers near me, so should I change my mind and let them do it - a dilemma.
Polished Bliss are up that neck of the woods (Glasgow). Can't you get them to do it before the car is shipped to you - I assume in Norfolk?

I'm in Suffolk and there are Gtechniq detailers not that far away from me.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

alxgb wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 am

Polished Bliss are up that neck of the woods (Glasgow). Can't you get them to do it before the car is shipped to you - I assume in Norfolk?

Since they offer the platinum, and are 'approved' by Gtechnic, not sure I want to ask them to take the car elsewhere. The nearest to Norwich is Spalding about 70 miles away, then Chelmsford 100 miles away. As you will see from the map, thin on the ground in the east, it would be a real faff to have it done so far away, the guy on the north coast is no longer in business
Wing Co, they're asking £600 but that's for wheels, glass, all interior and of course the paintwork, so not too much and probably better than Swissvax. Not sure I should be too concerned, will try to speak to their guy next week, then decide. Its better than nothing and since I do all my own car washng, at least it will make it easier.
1st world problems!

E4CE28FE-C63E-4E2E-8CC0-BC9E603FB43A.png

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Given the gap in the market in your part of the world, have you considered setting up in business as an approved Gtechniq detailer?! ;)
Simon

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Gtechniq platinum is probably the best dealer applied product.
As much as taking it to one of the authorised dealers to have it done by them will give you a better finish it will also take 3-4 days and they will have a waiting list. The cost will also be higher than £600.

Based on your situation I would work on getting a discount from the OPC.

It does depend on how long you plan to keep it though. If it’s long term I would consider an authorised dealer so they can machine polish to the relevant stage especially as it’s black.

As you wash your own car either way you go will certainly make it easier and look great 👍

Ps. I drove the Panamera Hybrid a week or so ago and it’s a very nice place to be as a driver and a passenger. Enjoy 😊
GTS 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

If a long-term keeper, I'd go for the approved Gtechniq detailer 70 miles away. My detailer offers a drop off and pick up service from the nearest railway station when I leave the car with them. :geek:
Simon

Cjm360

Post by Cjm360 »

My OPC quoted me £1600 for Gtechniq and when I went on Gtechniqs site the price was £1100 all in, with the local detailed doing it for £853 so don’t take OPC’s word for it shop around, I’ve used sports car protection on all my cars before who cover the country and their work is amazing check their web site out
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

alxgb wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 am
Bigboyrolo wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 pm So I'm buying a 2yr old metallic black Panamera from Glasgow, I'm offered Gtechnic. "So you're an approved detailer" I ask, "yes" they say. Before I commit, knowing that the only Gtechnc detailer in Norfolk has closed down, and I want some form of paint protection on the car, I telephone Gtechnic and am advised that although they are approved, its only platinum stuff with a 5 year guarantee, they are not trained on the higher quality stuff that I had applied to the Macan. I doubt the paint will be prepped to the standard a detailer would, probably a quick wash and no real swirl correction first, so I've declined. Problem is there are no proper detailers near me, so should I change my mind and let them do it - a dilemma.

Polished bliss are Aberdeen c. 200 miles away and about 3.5 hours drive. Is Manchester in that neck of the woods? Roughly the same distance...

good luck getting a slot with them. Months waiting list at the minute.
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Frank

Gtechniq and the like are really of benefit for long term ownership or for ease of cleaning and maintenance.

Will the Panamera is a long term keeper, then if yes take the trouble to hunt out a pro detailer in a location suitable. You should be without the car for three days, anything less is a compromise.

In all honesty I would suggest you have nothing done to the car and do a DIY job with claying and a carnuba wax job, yes there is ongoing maintenance.

An alternative is a mobile valeter who could to the prepping and initial wax job, you then just maintain it or have the valeter reapply the wax every 3-4 months.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags