Wheel Cleaner

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

I have never used wheel cleaner but after reading post on this forum I got some. The first pic is after 10 seconds of the karcher on dirt blaster. The second pic is after using the wheel cleaner.

Conclusion - the wheel cleaner made no difference whatsoever and was a complete waste of money!

before.JPG

xafter.JPG

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Interesting.

Can you explain what you used and how you used it.

Wheel cleaners usually need agitating on the surface of the wheels.

Simply spraying it on and giving a blast with the jet wash gun will genetally do sweet FA.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

There is no need to use a wheel cleaner if the jet wash gets it all off.
After a period of time brake dust will stick to the wheels and using a a PH Nuetral wheel cleaner (iron and fallout remover) may be required.

You will see the little black dots stuck on the alloys and you do not want to rub them off. Jet wash what you can off first.
Let the wheel cleaner melt them away and jet wash off as required.
GTS 😀
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:57 pm Can you explain what you used and how you used it.
Wonder Wheels Colour Active (Wilko £5)
Macman

Post by Macman »

I’ve been using Turtle Wax wheel cleaner for 3 years on my BMW and a year on the Macan. It’s an acid one :o but it hasn’t damaged the wheels. I agitate it with a kitchen pan brush then squirt off with a hose. It’s the most effective wheel cleaner I’ve come across and I’ve tried several detergent / surfactant type ones over the years. I spray it on, leave it to work for a minute, then agitate then squirt off with plenty of water immediately, including brake discs and callipers.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Fairynuff wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:55 pm I have never used wheel cleaner but after reading post on this forum I got some. The first pic is after 10 seconds of the karcher on dirt blaster. The second pic is after using the wheel cleaner.

Conclusion - the wheel cleaner made no difference whatsoever and was a complete waste of money!

before.JPGxafter.JPG
I'm not seeing the dirt.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Tom 2000 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:42 am
Fairynuff wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:55 pm Conclusion - the wheel cleaner made no difference whatsoever and was a complete waste of money!
I'm not seeing the dirt.
The dirt (which was ordinary no great build up stuff) what blasted away by the karcher. I suppose it could be argued that if the wheels hadn't been cleaned for a year and it was baked on the karcher wouldn't have shifted it - I don't know.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

For what it's worth. I use Bilt Hamber car wash, on all the car. It came top in Auto Express's test for car washes.
Firstly hosing off all dust from all the car, then hand mit wash car. Then with a plastic brush wash the wheels, with the same vehicle wash. But I do keep hosing off with clean water between the washing the panels. The Bilt Hamber is like cream to use, but letting dry on its own, even on a rinsed car is a nightmare. Then leather off everything. Doing same with the wheels. Must admit, I specced, 5 spoke 21", for ease of cleaning the things.
At least once a year, the wheels get polished using a wheel polish, then in between the washes, I faff about with them after cleaning with any polish, ( some Turtle Wax, or whatever). In fact Auto Express's did an article about wheel polishes, some years ago and said normal T/Wax was as good as any.
The wheels have not pitted or lost shine in 2 and 1/2 years from new.
Last edited by TheTraveller on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I used to use a chamois leather, but have now graduated to micro-fibre towels. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Valet Pro wheel cleaner for me. Tried lots of others and this is not acidic but like a very powerful soap. I use it about every third wash, it can be diluted and brings the wheels up a treat. Bilt Hamber car wash is great, I use a lot of their products including the cleaner polish.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.