Polish / Wax

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

The £1,300 Gtechniq (and others) ceramic coating . . . apart from the cost against return (for me) it has so many other difficult questions like what happens when it starts wearing off so it has found its way over into my 'too hard to do tray.'

From that follows my first question. . . what does the dealer do / what product do they use / apply?

Next question is - what do I buy to use, I have always used Autoglym Super Resin Polish and been happy with that but looking at Autoglym's site that now has several options. Has anyone done a comparisons between Autoglym and Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax 768ml £20?

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

When
I bought an Audi the dealership applied Autoglym Lifeshine to the car and gave me a bag of products.

What a load of cr4p, it as a dirt magnet, since dirt stick to the coating and it was a sod to remove.

So whatever you do I suggest you avoid these products.

Meguire’s does get great reviews of their products as does Dodo Juice.

BTW
Gtechniq do a DIY version, bottles of Crystal Serum + EXO for £85.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

There are literally thousands of products on the market. Super Resin is still a well regarded product for the polish stage if there is only very light marring as it contains fillers to hide these marks. It doesn't remove marks it merely fills them, if you want to remove marks you need to go back a step to a light cutting polish.

Before that need a coat of tar remover followed by fallout remover. Then a rub over with a clay bar to leave you ready to polish. After that there are choices over wax or sealant or hybrids which are a mixture of both. Quick detailer or spray waxes to keep it looking tip top. There are plenty more stages you could do but that's a "quick" option.

There are lots of great spray semi waxes available like Sonax Brilliant Shine detailer or my personal favourite Anachem Hybrid which is amazing stuff. Made by a small N Ireland company all of whose products seem great. Google Anachem Automotive. Their Ultragloss product is also fantastic, spray the car when wet after washing and rinse off. Adds a nice shine with no effort and if you then dry off with a few sprays of Hybrid you get amazing beading for zero effort.

Just came inside from 2 hours washing and drying my wife's GTi and that's no polishing waxing or anything, simply a wash, dry off, shine tyres. As you can see it's my hobby, playing golf might be cheaper.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I’ve applied Colonite 845 inslutor wax (very long lasting but slightly tricky to apply) or Colonite 476 (easier to apply but not quite so long lasting) to both of mine, and to Mrs P’s cars too.

Wax finishes will last 6 - 12 months and I use a detailer spray after mist washes to keep up the beading effect.

Autoglym products are fine too, I’ve used their fast wax in the past as an after wash shiner.

You shouldn’t need to use a polish on a new car as they are mildly abrasive and only really appropriate on cars where the paint has dulled back through neglect, or when you have some mild scratches to remove.

There are loads of products out there and as many good reviews for each as there are bad.

(Having supplied Autoglym Lifeshine in the past I know that not letting it cure properly after application will give the results Col describes above; the product is fine, the application is key.)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Paul wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:03 pm I’ve applied Colonite 845 inslutor wax (very long lasting but slightly tricky to apply) or Colonite 476 (easier to apply but not quite so long lasting) to both of mine, and to Mrs P’s cars too.

Wax finishes will last 6 - 12 months and I use a detailer spray after mist washes to keep up the beading effect.

Autoglym products are fine too, I’ve used their fast wax in the past as an after wash shiner.

You shouldn’t need to use a polish on a new car as they are mildly abrasive and only really appropriate on cars where the paint has dulled back through neglect, or when you have some mild scratches to remove.

There are loads of products out there and as many good reviews for each as there are bad.

(Having supplied Autoglym Lifeshine in the past I know that not letting it cure properly after application will give the results Col describes above; the product is fine, the application is key.)
If that is the case then it was the Audi garage that screwed up, right from the first was it was a sod to clean.

I only ever applied one coat and that was such a pain it did not get any more treatment.

So I got precisely what I paid for, namely nothing.

Son in Law got a bag of cleaning products.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

MCDK wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 pm There are literally thousands of products on the market. Super Resin is still a well regarded product for the polish stage if there is only very light marring as it contains fillers to hide these marks. It doesn't remove marks it merely fills them, if you want to remove marks you need to go back a step to a light cutting polish.

Before that need a coat of tar remover followed by fallout remover. Then a rub over with a clay bar to leave you ready to polish. After that there are choices over wax or sealant or hybrids which are a mixture of both. Quick detailer or spray waxes to keep it looking tip top. There are plenty more stages you could do but that's a "quick" option.

There are lots of great spray semi waxes available like Sonax Brilliant Shine detailer or my personal favourite Anachem Hybrid which is amazing stuff. Made by a small N Ireland company all of whose products seem great. Google Anachem Automotive. Their Ultragloss product is also fantastic, spray the car when wet after washing and rinse off. Adds a nice shine with no effort and if you then dry off with a few sprays of Hybrid you get amazing beading for zero effort.

Just came inside from 2 hours washing and drying my wife's GTi and that's no polishing waxing or anything, simply a wash, dry off, shine tyres. As you can see it's my hobby, playing golf might be cheaper.
And I thought I was OCD!
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

So many products on the market it is confusing, I detail all my cars myself using mostly “Chemical Guys” products, you shouldn’t need to polish a brand new car unless there is a requirement for some paint correction. If your happy with the paint finish and it’s silk smooth to touch I would recommend applying “Jetseal 109”, it will protect your paintwork for up to one year and is very easy to apply, leave to cure for 20 minutes and buff off. If you want a deeper shine you can then apply a wax, I use “Butter Wet Wax” but there are several to choose from. Check out Chemical Guys on YouTube, lots of how to videos, they are American and all very thorough with their presentations.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

mcnallys wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:45 pm
MCDK wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 pm There are literally thousands of products on the market. Super Resin is still a well regarded product for the polish stage if there is only very light marring as it contains fillers to hide these marks. It doesn't remove marks it merely fills them, if you want to remove marks you need to go back a step to a light cutting polish.

And I thought I was OCD!
Yes I’m sure there is a Doctor somewhere who can help me lol.
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

MikeM wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:19 pm I would recommend applying “Jetseal 109”,
Thanks - I did take a look and it does get good reviews. What I couldn't find was what it was i.e. what is laying down on top of the paint to protect it.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Fairynuff wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:19 pm
MikeM wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:19 pm I would recommend applying “Jetseal 109”,
Thanks - I did take a look and it does get good reviews. What I couldn't find was what it was i.e. what is laying down on top of the paint to protect it.
In a nutshell it does the same job as a natural/carnuba wax but is a synthetic sealant that has greater properties and protects for longer. It won’t give you long term protection I.e. years or leave an immovable protection layer but it will last up to one year and can then be re-applied by using a stripping wash, Claybar to remove any contaminents and then the Jetseal. I also use it on bare polished alloys and for me it does a great job without costing an arm 💪 😉

7EBAE338-8BFA-445B-B814-CA2EB4239E14.jpeg

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6