Two bucket method ditched...

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

..or will be when I've tried another method I've just watched on YouTube. Dallas Detailing, obviously in America. It does waffle on a bit but basically the bloke reckons the detailing industry are ripping customers off (no surprise there then) by championing the two bucket method with grit guards. They even suggest two grit cards per bucket. Off you go and buy two huge buckets and four grit guards. I have two grit guards but what he pointed out is true. Look in the Wash bucket and you still get dirt in it. Well what does this guy do I hear you shout.

Foam wash the car and then fill a bucket with your wash shampoo and water and using three double sided wash mitts he does the bonnet, roof and boot with one mitt then chucks it into an empty bucket, rinse the top and use another for nearside and the last for the offside. No scratches, no swirl marks. I'll let you know how I find it. I know you have three mitts to wash but you would wash one anyway.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I've actually never used more than one bucket :o :o :o even although I have a few buckets lying around.

I've never owned a grit guard either :o :o :o

I am currently using 3 soft sponges although often just use 2. I am very careful while washing and don't let the Macan get too dirty which I suppose helps. No scratches so far :D :D :D
Deleted User 2325

Post by Deleted User 2325 »

When a new car owner one gets a little (?) obsessive.

Having got three bonnet chips in 1,000 miles I had the bonnet resprayed and then fully wrapped my GTS. Since then it barely needs a polish. I find a hose down followed by a bucket of soapy water and a further hose rinse and rub dry does the trick. A Nano polish once a month - job done.

The black wheels - well, they look good black. Once in a while I will give them a good going over but the rugged grubby look does have its attractions.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Well it worked well. It was also quicker than the two bucket job. I didn't know you could polish a wrap?
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Deleted User 2325

Post by Deleted User 2325 »

Yep! Polish adds a luster and it still looks brand new. I use Swissvax nano polish sparingly and it takes no time at all.
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

I’ve seen a similar method promoted by Ammo NYC:

Clean towels that go straight in the wash after they get used, no double dipping
2016 SD, Volcano grey, 21 Turbos, PASM, SportDesign, Privacy glass, LDW and LCA, Heated sports seats with crest and memory, Heated steering wheel (the best), Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Pano roof, PCM, Connect Plus, Park assist with reverse camera
dvearn

Post by dvearn »

Hmmm, I'm not sure there is much revenue to be had from grit guards :-)

Having spent some time researching around the topic of cleaning, I'd say the 2 bucket method is mainly about reducing the risk of contamination of your wash mitt - it doesn't stop it.
The lower the chance of dirt remaining in the wash mitt the lower the chance it can scratch your paint.

If it's too much hassle for you, then no worries.
Considering >95% of damage to paint is done during wash/drying I think it's worth spending some effort to reduce the risks, as I love a shiny and swirl free motor :-)
andreas

Post by andreas »

dvearn wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:11 am
Considering >95% of damage to paint is done during wash/drying I think it's worth spending some effort to reduce the risks, as I love a shiny and swirl free motor :-)
I agree. As well as washing with 2 buckets, I rinse the car with resin filtered water and just let it air dry. And I haven't polished the car either. At 2 years old, the paint looks like new.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
pmg

Post by pmg »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:55 pm

Foam wash the car and then fill a bucket with your wash shampoo and water and using three double sided wash mitts he does the bonnet, roof and boot with one mitt then chucks it into an empty bucket, rinse the top and use another for nearside and the last for the offside. No scratches, no swirl marks. I'll let you know how I find it. I know you have three mitts to wash but you would wash one anyway.
I have done similar for some time but with pre foam pressure wash to get rid of any easily shifted muck. I have recently changed to replacing the mitts wipe with using a very soft microfibre brush on the end of a pressure washer with water running ensuring any small grit particles quickly dispursed away from the car. Then dry with microfibre towels
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8