Touchless Wheel cleaning

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
User avatar
kmacuk
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:55 pm
Location: Scotland, Glasgow

Touchless Wheel cleaning

Post by kmacuk » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:16 am

I am a wheel guy and if the wheels look clean I am happy. I have discovered a great way to get 95% clean wheels via touch less method with below plus a good jet blast:

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel Cleaner £15/liter - brilliant, highly recommended. I probably get 15 to 20 uses out of it, also good for the exhaust tips

Similar product for the body work also works very well too.

Wheels shown are from our GT silver 718. The wheels are ceramic coated, which does help, however I see similar results on our other cars with no ceramic coatings.

Wheelclean.JPG

WheelBefore.JPG

Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

User avatar
Nuclear Nick
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:42 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Touchless Wheel cleaning

Post by Nuclear Nick » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:28 pm

kmacuk wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:16 am
I am a wheel guy and if the wheels look clean I am happy. I have discovered a great way to get 95% clean wheels via touch less method with below plus a good jet blast:

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel Cleaner £15/liter - brilliant, highly recommended. I probably get 15 to 20 uses out of it, also good for the exhaust tips

Similar product for the body work also works very well too.

Wheels shown are from our GT silver 718. The wheels are ceramic coated, which does help, however I see similar results on our other cars with no ceramic coatings.
Welcome to the Bilt Hamber club! Yes, it is good stuff, even smells quite good! :D
Nick

Macan Turbo, collected 6/9/16 - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHPDB6Z7

911 C2 GTS, collected 8/3/18 - http://www.porsche-code.com/PJKUPBX8

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Kennst4s
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Re: Touchless Wheel cleaning

Post by Kennst4s » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Looks th same as BMW alloy wheel cleaner, which I use.
You can get it in 5L containers from BMW parts dept for significantly less, they may not have in stock but usually 24hr delivery

User avatar
VanB
Posts: 3728
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Touchless Wheel cleaning

Post by VanB » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:44 pm

Nuclear Nick wrote:
kmacuk wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:16 am
I am a wheel guy and if the wheels look clean I am happy. I have discovered a great way to get 95% clean wheels via touch less method with below plus a good jet blast:

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel Cleaner £15/liter - brilliant, highly recommended. I probably get 15 to 20 uses out of it, also good for the exhaust tips

Similar product for the body work also works very well too.

Wheels shown are from our GT silver 718. The wheels are ceramic coated, which does help, however I see similar results on our other cars with no ceramic coatings.
Welcome to the Bilt Hamber club! Yes, it is good stuff, even smells quite good! :D
You must be using different stuff, Nick. It stinks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Ferdie
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:23 pm
Location: South Wales

Re: Touchless Wheel cleaning

Post by Ferdie » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Yes my Korrosol smells toxic - but in a funny way I like it :? --- Just says something about what Nick has been smelling :lol: :lol: :lol:
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960

Ferdie
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:23 pm
Location: South Wales

Re: Touchless Wheel cleaning

Post by Ferdie » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:59 pm

.........and me :cry: .... I like the smell of cordite as well........... I can see where this thread will be going :lol:

Also now we are here - has anyone tried Atom-Mac on the wheels/disks after cleaning? I have some but was skeptical that a 1% dilution of a chemical in *water* would stop corrosion. But I have seen some pretty thorough tests of similar chemicals on u-tube and I do believe it may work. :o
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960

User avatar
Nuclear Nick
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:42 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Touchless Wheel cleaning

Post by Nuclear Nick » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:11 am

Okay, perhaps there was a bit of poetic licence there :lol: . How about the snow foam then? Can we agree that smells quite nice?
Nick

Macan Turbo, collected 6/9/16 - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHPDB6Z7

911 C2 GTS, collected 8/3/18 - http://www.porsche-code.com/PJKUPBX8

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

User avatar
putt4par
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:37 pm

Re: Touchless Wheel cleaning

Post by putt4par » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:47 pm

Nuclear Nick wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:11 am
Okay, perhaps there was a bit of poetic licence there :lol: . How about the snow foam then? Can we agree that smells quite nice?
Snow foam I am using smells amazing, Cherry I believe.

User avatar
kmacuk
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:55 pm
Location: Scotland, Glasgow

Re: Touchless Wheel cleaning

Post by kmacuk » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:19 pm

In connection to this I have been using snow foam (Gtechiq,W4) for a number of years, however recently, mainly due to the winter weather I have been taking an alternative approach, which is making me wonder if I actually need to snow foam. I have the Bilt Hamber Korrosol (Also Gtechniq W5), which does a similar job to the wheel cleaner, but on the bodywork. I have been 1:1 diluting the Korrosol and I simply spray from the bottle over the areas beneath the window line plus apply the wheel cleaner, leave for 5 mins and blast off and give a filtered water rinse - job done.

After this the car is cleaner than using snow foam (It does fallout too). If I do the normal hand wash, as I normally do after snow foam, it makes little difference, so thinking it’s a good 90% clean in less than 10mins. For me a great for winter wash and more effective than snow foam.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

User avatar
putt4par
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:37 pm

Re: Touchless Wheel cleaning

Post by putt4par » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:42 am

kmacuk wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:19 pm
In connection to this I have been using snow foam (Gtechiq,W4) for a number of years, however recently, mainly due to the winter weather I have been taking an alternative approach, which is making me wonder if I actually need to snow foam. I have the Bilt Hamber Korrosol (Also Gtechniq W5), which does a similar job to the wheel cleaner, but on the bodywork. I have been 1:1 diluting the Korrosol and I simply spray from the bottle over the areas beneath the window line plus apply the wheel cleaner, leave for 5 mins and blast off and give a filtered water rinse - job done.

After this the car is cleaner than using snow foam (It does fallout too). If I do the normal hand wash, as I normally do after snow foam, it makes little difference, so thinking it’s a good 90% clean in less than 10mins. For me a great for winter wash and more effective than snow foam.
Does the filtered water negate the need to dry the car?

Post Reply