The Old Ceramic v PPF debate - Recommendations?

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

kmacuk wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:16 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:02 pm
Paul wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:32 pm A bit further (Bristol) but I’m using Autotrilogy (Damien) for my 992 in March.

Full detail, PPF and ceramic coat on top.

https://autotrilogy.com/
PPF AND Ceramic coating! Why?

As mentioned previously, preparation is key. Personally, if you maintain the paint correctly, you should be ok. Stone chips happen but if you are talking of factory fresh cars I can understand the urge to use PPF or Ceramic. How much is a respray these days compared to a full PPF?
PPF is partial and ceramic is to make maintenance easier and reduce swirls (self heal Fenylab for me too) and having spent all that time and effort prepping the car for the PPF it's logical and cost effective to do at the same time.

I snow foam and hand wash, but to never add swirls during this process over months and years is not possible for me so I, like many go both. If you have the skills to never mark your paintwork then indeed both would seem superfluous.
Fair enough. I do have the time to correctly look after my vehicles. PPF doesn't last for very long from what I've seen on a neighbours car. Three years and it was fogging and peeling in places. 3M stuff allegedly fitted by professionals.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:32 pm
kmacuk wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:16 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:02 pm

PPF AND Ceramic coating! Why?

As mentioned previously, preparation is key. Personally, if you maintain the paint correctly, you should be ok. Stone chips happen but if you are talking of factory fresh cars I can understand the urge to use PPF or Ceramic. How much is a respray these days compared to a full PPF?
PPF is partial and ceramic is to make maintenance easier and reduce swirls (self heal Fenylab for me too) and having spent all that time and effort prepping the car for the PPF it's logical and cost effective to do at the same time.

I snow foam and hand wash, but to never add swirls during this process over months and years is not possible for me so I, like many go both. If you have the skills to never mark your paintwork then indeed both would seem superfluous.
Fair enough. I do have the time to correctly look after my vehicles. PPF doesn't last for very long from what I've seen on a neighbours car. Three years and it was fogging and peeling in places. 3M stuff allegedly fitted by professionals.
As I am sure you know the prep is everything and if its too cheap this is where the corners have been cut. we have had PPF on our last 4 cars, longest kept for 4.5years and it looked the same as day 1. The 10 year warranty we were given looked like it would not have to be claimed on.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)