The Old Ceramic v PPF debate - Recommendations?

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
SimonH146

Post by SimonH146 »

Hi all,

New Macan arrives next month. Now considering to protect my priced possession with ceramic or PPF. Any expert opinions updated? I was thinking about getting the wheels ceramic protected to protect from brake dust and the front (bonnet/wings/mirrors) PPF. Any more thoughts on possibly extending PPF to sills below doors? Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

Also, OPC is Tewksbury, anyone recommend a detailer to do the work in East of Tewksbury over towards Moreton-in-Marsh as that’s more convenient for me?

Thanks
Now - Macan Turbo (MY20), Mamba Green/High Gloss Black :D
Cancelled due to COVID redundancy :-( - Macan S, Silver

kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

SimonH146 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:12 am Hi all,

New Macan arrives next month. Now considering to protect my priced possession with ceramic or PPF. Any expert opinions updated? I was thinking about getting the wheels ceramic protected to protect from brake dust and the front (bonnet/wings/mirrors) PPF. Any more thoughts on possibly extending PPF to sills below doors? Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

Also, OPC is Tewksbury, anyone recommend a detailer to do the work in East of Tewksbury over towards Moreton-in-Marsh as that’s more convenient for me?

Thanks
Here are the rules I apply having now had our last 4 cars protected:

If possible do not let the dealer touch the car at all and get it directly to the detailer if possible.

Prep is everything (costly) and time taken to prepare properly will make the coating look better and last longer. Dont get the dealer to do either and PPF and ceramic is the optimum.

Ceramic on wheels: yes as they will remove them from the car and do the insides, if not its easy to do them yourself

We have once had a partial PPF on the bonnet line and hated the obvious line along the mid bonnet, so full front best

We did the lights (cost of cracked light worth risk of any advesrse potential affects PPF might have on lights, can be removed)

lower sills I think are prone to road rash for big wheels so would get that done, the small area applied is insufficient. Mirrors and pian black areas also good to get done.

All of the above is what we are getting done when ours arrives mid March. I think current owners will confirm the bonnet is prone to chips as are the sills. Our first car we picked up after the dealer added swirls and we then picked up a stone chip on the bonnet within the first week,then got PPF. Now we do before we drive it.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

For sure yes ppf for the sills and lower doors as they are very prone to gravel rash. This is probably a more important area than the front and if budget allows then ppf to the front as well. Then ceramic to the rest of the car and wheels.
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

For detailing, ceramic coatings and PPF, you could try Nigel at Glos Detailing in Cheltenham (https://glos-detailing.co.uk/). He uses SiRamik products which have proved to be very good on my car.

I can't say what he's like for PPF, but I'm going to have a chat with him about protecting the new car when it arrives in a couple of weeks.
Dolomite Silver Macan GTS Gen 2 (www.porsche-code.com/PLBT3XT5)
Rhodium Silver Macan GTS (sold)
Paul

Post by Paul »

A bit further (Bristol) but I’m using Autotrilogy (Damien) for my 992 in March.

Full detail, PPF and ceramic coat on top.

https://autotrilogy.com/
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
SimonH146

Post by SimonH146 »

Thanks for all the info, will check out detailer options, but personal recommendations are always better than a pin in the phone book (or nowadays google! 😂).

Found these guys online: https://www.exclusivecarcare.co.uk/paint-protection-film-quote/. Seems as though performance package would seem right. Does £1600+VAT seem about right for those with experience of PPF?

Any other info on costs and detailer recommendations gratefully accepted.
Now - Macan Turbo (MY20), Mamba Green/High Gloss Black :D
Cancelled due to COVID redundancy :-( - Macan S, Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

^
Justin was / is a member on the forum and quite a few other forum members have used him and rate his work.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Paul wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:32 pm A bit further (Bristol) but I’m using Autotrilogy (Damien) for my 992 in March.

PPF AND Ceramic coating! Why?

As mentioned previously, preparation is key. Personally, if you maintain the paint correctly, you should be ok. Stone chips happen but if you are talking of factory fresh cars I can understand the urge to use PPF or Ceramic. How much is a respray these days compared to a full PPF?
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

SimonH146 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:55 am Thanks for all the info, will check out detailer options, but personal recommendations are always better than a pin in the phone book (or nowadays google! 😂).

Found these guys online: https://www.exclusivecarcare.co.uk/paint-protection-film-quote/. Seems as though performance package would seem right. Does £1600+VAT seem about right for those with experience of PPF?

Any other info on costs and detailer recommendations gratefully accepted.
The price quoted here is simailr for our PPF coating price, we have additional costs for ceramic coatings to wheels and body.
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:02 pm
Paul wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:32 pm A bit further (Bristol) but I’m using Autotrilogy (Damien) for my 992 in March.

PPF AND Ceramic coating! Why?

As mentioned previously, preparation is key. Personally, if you maintain the paint correctly, you should be ok. Stone chips happen but if you are talking of factory fresh cars I can understand the urge to use PPF or Ceramic. How much is a respray these days compared to a full PPF?
PPF is partial and ceramic is to make maintenance easier and reduce swirls (self heal Fenylab for me too) and having spent all that time and effort prepping the car for the PPF it's logical and cost effective to do at the same time.

I snow foam and hand wash, but to never add swirls during this process over months and years is not possible for me so I, like many go both. If you have the skills to never mark your paintwork then indeed both would seem superfluous.