PORSCHE Badges Corrosion

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Just a heads up, I hadn't cleaned the car since the xmas holidays and it has been virtually stood still in the garage for the duration of this C19 lockdown.

Did my first 'Snow Foam" type clean yesterday (jury is still out on that method atm) and apart from my shock at the amount of bonnet and windscreen chips (undoubtedly received from a gritter sat in the centre lane of the M40 back in January?), the chrome P O R S C H E badges on the boot, especially the O, have got some form of corrosion/pitting on them.

I tried using MER on them, but it is there to stay. Only noticeable from within say 1-2 metres, but quite surprised at how quickly they have 'gone off'?

If the pitting gets any worse, the monofilament removal technique may be in order?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S

AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Is the badge black or silver?

If its silver you could try Poorboys multi purpose degreaser. I used it on the chrome exhaust tips as I didn't have any metal cleaner. It worked really well. It looked like the tips were slightly pitted and stained with grime but this stuff got rid of it with a bit of effort. Lovely shiny tips now with no pitting!
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Silver/chrome. Reluctant to go too mad with a 'correction' type paste, in case I end up rubbing the paintwork?
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

nsm3 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:33 am Silver/chrome. Reluctant to go too mad with a 'correction' type paste, in case I end up rubbing the paintwork?
It's only a liquid - non abrasive. I put it on a cloth and rub it in. Then wash off. Doesnt matter if you get a bit on the paint. Just wash it off.
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

nsm3 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:03 am Just a heads up, I hadn't cleaned the car since the xmas holidays and it has been virtually stood still in the garage for the duration of this C19 lockdown.

Did my first 'Snow Foam" type clean yesterday (jury is still out on that method atm) and apart from my shock at the amount of bonnet and windscreen chips (undoubtedly received from a gritter sat in the centre lane of the M40 back in January?), the chrome P O R S C H E badges on the boot, especially the O, have got some form of corrosion/pitting on them.

I tried using MER on them, but it is there to stay. Only noticeable from within say 1-2 metres, but quite surprised at how quickly they have 'gone off'?

If the pitting gets any worse, the monofilament removal technique may be in order?
Forgive me, "monofilament removal technique"??
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

putt4par wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:17 am
nsm3 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:03 am Just a heads up, I hadn't cleaned the car since the xmas holidays and it has been virtually stood still in the garage for the duration of this C19 lockdown.

Forgive me, "monofilament removal technique"??
I hope he means removing the offending “O” with some dental floss and replacing it. As the term is usually used when describing the removal of necrotic material from open wounds 😳. Could be worse though as may have suggested maggot impregnated dressing placed over the offending badge 😷 and all before breakfast 🍳🤢😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

:lol: Yes, Meant removing the letters with fishing line or similar.

I had the Macan S removed at delivery as I thought it all looked a bit fussy on the back?
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

nsm3 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:18 am :lol: Yes, Meant removing the letters with fishing line or similar.

I had the Macan S removed at delivery as I thought it all looked a bit fussy on the back?
Ah got it, many thanks, long gone are the days where this would have left holes in the Panel :lol: