New to Porsche - Looking at Macan EV

All Porsche Macan Electric Related Discussion
robbie

Post by robbie »

When I asked at my local OPC re a rough timeline for delivery of the Macan EV I was told expect 'late 2024' it was originally planned for this year, but has been delayed by development difficulties at Cariad, the Volkswagen Group’s software division. I was also told that they will only be keeping the current GTS model as a petrol alternative to run alongside the new EV Macan for an unspecified time period. The order books for the Base, T & S variants will not be staying open much longer (As quoted by my SE) I doubt they have been given any firm information on exactly when order books will close so it's a case of checking with your local OPC so you don't miss out on one of their very last petrol Macans
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018

andreas

Post by andreas »

robbie wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:49 pm When I asked at my local OPC re a rough timeline for delivery of the Macan EV I was told expect 'late 2024' it was originally planned for this year, but has been delayed by development difficulties at Cariad, the Volkswagen Group’s software division.
Cariad has proved to be a big disappointment for VAG, as the ongoing delays to the Macan EV demonstrate. Desperate to get some software which actually works, VAG has spent billions buying in to Chinese software companies, including ThunderSoft and Horizon Robotics. Let's hope they know how to write software!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

richarda0109 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:57 am
andreas wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:40 am
richarda0109 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:05 am
Is it too early, will it be nearer to the end of the year?
You can try to get your name on the list any time, but I reckon you'd be very brave to buy one of the first Macan EVs - it will probably have many software and hardware issues. Better to wait a couple of years after launch, by which time Porsche might have sorted it.
Waiting is a little difficult.

London ULEZ is fast approaching and I could probably wait 12 months since I don't go into London that often with my current daily driver which isn't ULEZ compliant.
I was hoping that the gremlins in the current Taycan would mean that Porsche would have sorted them out on the new Macan EV. Obviously, if we are talking apples and pears then we might be looking at a host of new issues.

For me end of year (Nov / Dec) time would be perfect.
As said before daily use (school run / shopping) is what I would be using it for. I would also like to use it to go to our home in Spain hence the battery size otherwise I would probably choose a BMW i3s.
I have read many Tesla owners do European journeys without issues.
Already have a home charger and my electricity tariff is all set for an EV.
If I was staying with Mercedes then it would be an EQC which would be a compromise since its size (too big) and range (under 300 miles) doesn't quite work.
Apply a little black tape to your reg plates and enjoy driving in London completely free. If everyone did it, Ulez would go away.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

robbie wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:49 pm When I asked at my local OPC re a rough timeline for delivery of the Macan EV I was told expect 'late 2024' it was originally planned for this year, but has been delayed by development difficulties at Cariad, the Volkswagen Group’s software division. I was also told that they will only be keeping the current GTS model as a petrol alternative to run alongside the new EV Macan for an unspecified time period. The order books for the Base, T & S variants will not be staying open much longer (As quoted by my SE) I doubt they have been given any firm information on exactly when order books will close so it's a case of checking with your local OPC so you don't miss out on one of their very last petrol Macans
I can't see this happening at all. The Macan and Cayenne ICE models are what keep the company alive. If I were Porsche I'd be developing a mild hybrid Macan to keep it going as long as possible. There are few Macan drivers that would make the leap from a £70K car to a £100K one, the likely price of a properly specc'd Macan EV.
Macan S MY 2023
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

why would you buy trouble? second generation EV will be the one to get, if any.
softsand

Post by softsand »

I'm completely expecting a very mild facelift for the ICE Macan in a year or two to keep it going for a while yet.

I'm in Australia. Really can't see them discontinuing the lesser spec models that is over 50% of their sales numbers, especially with the charging infrastructure here (inferior to the UK).
2022 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN22I7J6 with 21” Sport Classic wheels in Satin Platinum
pmg

Post by pmg »

Skyway wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:30 pm
robbie wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:49 pm When I asked at my local OPC re a rough timeline for delivery of the Macan EV I was told expect 'late 2024' it was originally planned for this year, but has been delayed by development difficulties at Cariad, the Volkswagen Group’s software division. I was also told that they will only be keeping the current GTS model as a petrol alternative to run alongside the new EV Macan for an unspecified time period. The order books for the Base, T & S variants will not be staying open much longer (As quoted by my SE) I doubt they have been given any firm information on exactly when order books will close so it's a case of checking with your local OPC so you don't miss out on one of their very last petrol Macans
I can't see this happening at all. The Macan and Cayenne ICE models are what keep the company alive. If I were Porsche I'd be developing a mild hybrid Macan to keep it going as long as possible. There are few Macan drivers that would make the leap from a £70K car to a £100K one, the likely price of a properly specc'd Macan EV.

I would not be 100% confident current Porsche V6 and v8 SUV engines can get past EU 7 requirements in current mform. I ssuspect that is what will kill off ICE SUV's rather than customer demand
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Watch this change when VAG stop making any profits and their sales fall through the floor ;)
Macan S MY 2023
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

pmg wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:56 pm

I would not be 100% confident current Porsche V6 and v8 SUV engines can get past EU 7 requirements in current mform. I ssuspect that is what will kill off ICE SUV's rather than customer demand
There's still no confirmed timeline for EU7 though, EU wanted to bring it in in July 2025, but many of the manufacturers were lobbying against that because of the cost to existing development investment. If it is 2025, then likely Porsche will drop all ICE Macan's from order process by change-over to MY2025 next summer, to allow orders to be processed until following summer. If EU extends EU7 introduction then I'd say they'd extend ICE Macan production to suit.

When I was in OPC's last month, they were also saying 3rd quarter of 2024 at best for first Macan EV deliveries and more like start of 4th quarter, so OP, your time line isn't going to fit with a Macan EV delivery, so I'd be looking at something else if that timeline is a redline for you.
pmg

Post by pmg »

GeeRam wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:07 pm
pmg wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:56 pm

There's still no confirmed timeline for EU7 though, EU wanted to bring it in in July 2025, but many of the manufacturers were lobbying against that because of the cost to existing development investment. If it is 2025, then likely Porsche will drop all ICE Macan's from order process by change-over to MY2025 next summer, to allow orders to be processed until following summer. If EU extends EU7 introduction then I'd say they'd extend ICE Macan production to suit.

I am in agreement with that. I just wanted to make the point that extension of Macan V6 ICE Macan EU sales may not be indefinite however much the market demand and EU7 or whatever implemented is likely to kill off new V6 ICE Macans before 2030.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8