Porsche Active Safe Error Message

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
AndreasB

Post by AndreasB »

I had my car at my Porsche Centre with this issue five times now from November 2015.
They co-operated wit the factory and didn't find the true reason. There is a voltage breakdown to 11.5 Volts during the engine start and they do not know why. Most of the S diesels don't have this problem, but two more at my Porsche Centre do.
Porsche Stuttgart says, they have no solution this time. So I have to live with that or give back the car.
They handed over a document to me that says, the issue will get solved with no costs, as far as Porsche knows, how. Maybe never... Cry

AndreasB2017-02-07 14:17:17

Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

I had my car at my Porsche Centre with this issue five times now from November 2015.
They co-operated wit the factory and didn't find the true reason. There is a voltage breakdown to 11.5 Volts during the engine start and they do not know why. Most of the S diesels don't have this problem, but two more at my Porsche Centre do.
Porsche Stuttgart says, they have no solution this time. So I have to live with that or give back the car.
They handed over a document to me that says, the issue will get solved with no costs, as far as Porsche knows, how. Maybe never... Cry

Thanks for the information Andreas. I'm going to try waiting for the glow-plug light to go off to see if that mnakes a difference.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I had my car at my Porsche Centre with this issue five times now from November 2015.

They co-operated wit the factory and didn't find the true reason. There is a voltage breakdown to 11.5 Volts during the engine start and they do not know why. Most of the S diesels don't have this problem, but two more at my Porsche Centre do. 

That sucks.

What are the terms offered for the "give back the car option" ?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
AndreasB

Post by AndreasB »

I'm from Germany and by german law the seller (not the manufacturer) has to take back the car and pay the full price I purchased the car for, less 0,06 ct. per kilometer for use. My Porsche Centre would do so.
Unfortunately I bought the car from a consulting agency, that could buy the car from Porsche like Porsche Centres. They sold it to me with a discount. This agency is requested by law, to take back the car, but they do not. So I would have to fight for my right, but I don't want to. I choose the 'wait-and-see' option.

AndreasB2017-02-08 11:40:24
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

I tested waiting for the glow plug light to go out before starting the engine yesterday and it still gave me the error. Ouch
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

I thought I would update this thread because my car has been back to the OPC and has had some fairly major investigations.

I got evidence of the ACC/PAS unavailable message by videoing my engine starts during Febuary. I got the error about 12 times during the month and gave the videos to the OPC. After checking the system themselves, they "raised a ticket" with Porsche at my suggestion. Porsche came back with a list of things to check including the battery voltage. All were okay except the battery voltage was low. The OPC said that the battery was at 74% charge but that the battery was okay. They were directed by Porsche to trickle charge the battery and that was all they could do. The suggested I get a trickle charger.

So, it would appear that the ACC/PAS system start-up checks or operation are vulnerable to reduced voltage during engine start. I am not sure if this is true but it probably fits the facts as I know them.

The previous week, I had gone on holiday; a 210 mile journey which I assumed would fully charge the battery but had two errors a few days later. We travelled about 250 miles on the return journey and the car went to the OPC about 5 days after we got back (where it then had 74% charge on the battery).

So, what do I think? It is certainly the case that, when I have had these errors, it is in winter. There is more night driving and use of heated windows and seats. I drive about 750 miles a month but half of that will be journeys of under 5 miles. I would hope that a modern car would be able to keep the battery charged under these conditions but could believe that it might not. Driving the car yesterday (with a fully charged battery) I was surprised when the car auto-stopped the engine after only 400m (from cold). Not something that it usually does. Perhaps this indicates that my battery is usually not fully charged?

So, in conclusion, beware. If you get this error message or your car seems to be reluctant to auto stop/start, is your battery fully charged? I will be buying a charger and I will use the appearance of the error message as a prompt to use it.
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

P.S.

While the car was at the OPC, they also fixed my long-standing tailgate rattle by adjusting the posts on the tailgate. Bliss!

And they gave me a 718 Boxter to drive for 3 days while they were working on it Smile. My faith is restored!
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
happy days

Post by happy days »

Interesting and below is something that may be relevant, but on a parallel basis.

I had a VW Golf with stop/start which we both got used to fairly quick. Our last Boxster didn't have it, but our new 718 when it arrived did.

However in the first few days of 718 operation, I noticed it was completely different to the VW system. You would stop at lights, and the engine would stop. All perfectly normal. But then after about 12 seconds the engine would start up again of its own accord and promptly scared the wits out of me, being rather loud.

I asked the question on boxa.net and one of the lads mentioned to me that it was as a result of rapidly falling voltage because Porsche put in fairly weak batteries (not really sure about this as the stop/start system can be quite battery unfriendly) but anyway.

I changed the dash display from boost pressure to voltage on both our cars. The 718 will auto stop start and the voltage is around 14v indicated. It drops quite a bit and when it gets to about 12.2v auto start fires up the engine again. I haven't noticed this in the Macan.

Might be worth monitoring the voltage? Just a thought.
Macan S D
718 S
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Just a quick update to say that, two weeks on from the battery recharge, I have had no more error messages.

So, if you ever get this error message, first clean the sensor and, if that doesn't work, charge your battery!
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
clj

Post by clj »

About this false acc/pas false alarm that I have struggled with Porsche for over a year. At last I got this confirmation that they will do nothing about it.
"
Ok now I know the fault > it is ACC not available?

It is actually present on most of the Macan Diesel if they are 1 or 2 years old.

The battery voltage gets a bit low due to cranking of the engine. Have you monitored the supply to the ACC when the fault occurs? I would suspect the possible cause is at the time of a cold start the heating element of the unit is cycled, it may be that this is not performing as required and displaying the message.

We were asking to change the SW but this is denied. The message does not influence the system. "
"

Any comments about how Porsche deals with problem like this. I think it's not acceptable because you don't know when you will thrust an alarm or not.

Macan S Diesel 2017