Final GTS spec queries

All your ordering information here!
Bckjag

Post by Bckjag »

I had entry & drive on my Cayman but didn't bother adding it to my Macan. If there was a stop / start button rather than just a key left in the ignition I might've went for it. I'd certainly no security issues with it but whenever I washed it with keys in my pocket the bonnet & tailgate had a habit of opening!
Cayman GTS sold June 2016
Macan GTS collected 12th April 2017
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH59XT18

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Welcome 95BFan.

As a GTS owner in Rhodium with full GTS interior I can say it looks fab. The seat belt thing worried me but it's perfectly fine. It's an expensive option but it does make it a very special place to be.

As for the Entry and Drive it is certainly less secure but it does depend where you live and go. You have to be very unlucky too for things to go wrong.
The problem with these systems is the signal can be boosted of the card which is in your house at the time allowing them to open and drive it off. The car won't stop until the ignition is switched off or petrol run out for safety reasons.
This is why all the range rovers have the old fashioned steering wheel locks in london.

You will hear very little Macan thefts compared to RR but there is also a very different amount sold.
I did not spec entry and drive on mine because of the security concerns. You generally cannot have convenience and security together.
There are flaws in all systems and generally the car key unlocking is only 40 bit encryption which can be captured or blocked from locking your car by jamming it. But imo the key is safer and a gentle tug on the handle does the trick.

Either way like most things always be contious of your surroundings and what's going on. You do have to be very unlucky these days as car thefts are way down and recovery is very high if you have a tracker so you don't have to make a £70k claim.

Not sure it's made your decision any easier but hope it helps. Kasfranks992017-03-25 09:38:36
GTS 😀
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

We have the GTS interior with silver stiching,looks great ,silly money but you either pay it or go without,why the rear centre seat belt is not silver to match the others is beyond me,dare say you could purchase a silver belt to match if it was a big issue to you.
SteveW

Guess I'll be living with a black central belt ! If I could spec one in silver I would but doubt I'll get round to trying to find an aftermarket one to fit...love the look of the interior regardless.

Thanks for the reply !

Hello and welcome, great specification there. If you order coloured seat belts you get all 5 the same colour but with the GTS interior you just get 4. Would it be worth asking if your OPC could order the central belt and fit it for you before collection?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
2japs

Post by 2japs »

We took delivery of our Macan back in October and specceid the smokers pack and it arrived with two USB sockets In The rear centre console.

Historically I think the std fit was a 12v socket so I was armed with a little adaptor so the kids could charge the gadgets. It was a pleasant surprise to see the USB points

You would expect this not to have changed. I did think it was odd that having got the smokers pack, there are no lighters or ashtrays in the rear of the car. Not sure why they do not now call it the 'neaten up centre console and keep kids happy in the back' pack !!!!

Yip, glad my SE recommended the chubby lid, as that's all it is really, does smarten up the centre consul area, you might get a pound coin in it. Mine has the usb's in the back,took delivery on the 13th March. I would still check with your local OPC just to make sure.

Many thanks for that confirmation gtipirelli, that is good to know as if it deleted the rear USBs I think we would have lived with an untidy console.

Know what you mean about the name. I don't smoke and would never buy a car that had been smoked in, so a bit weird speccing the "smokers pack" just to tidy up the console !

By the way when the "ash tray" is opened is there room to drop a phone in ?

Thx again
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

I did opt for entry and drive - mostly because Mrs VanB wanted it for when she takes the car.  From a security perspective I think it largely depends where you live and where you regularly go to.  My understanding is that it is less secure than a standard set up but not totally insecure.  If you live/work/regularly visit large metropolitan areas, motorway service stations or other high risk areas it's probably best to skip it otherwise it does provide a degree of convenience.  That being said I won't spec it when I get round to ordering my next Porsche as that will be solely for my use.

Thx VanB

Sounds like we are in a similar place. I wouldn't bother even if no increased security risk as I don't mind using a key. But, like you, Mrs 95BFan likes the idea having tried it in a used SD.

We don't live in a particularly high risk area but as we have about a month to nail the spec so think I will try to use my influencing skills on the Mrs...

Good luck with the 911 C4GTS - new (991.2) with the turbo or used ?

95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

I have entry and drive and love it. There MAY be some security risk but as above it depends on where you are located. I am in rural Northern Ireland so had absolutely no fear and if someone wants your car it isn't exactly hard to get your keys if they are determined enough.

Thanks MCDK

Agree that if someone wants your car they will find a way. But if the Porsche system was as bad as Land Rovers (where it is reported people couldn't get insurance for a while as so many went walk about) there is no way we would spec it.

But google doesn't throw up any particular concerns and we don't live or often visit particularly high risk areas so we would probably be fine.

But per my reply to VanB just now, I think I'll try to convince the Mrs that she doesn't need it !
95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

I had entry & drive on my Cayman but didn't bother adding it to my Macan. If there was a stop / start button rather than just a key left in the ignition I might've went for it. I'd certainly no security issues with it but whenever I washed it with keys in my pocket the bonnet & tailgate had a habit of opening! 

Thx for the info Bckjag. Which Cayman did you have ? Nice car.

It's definitely not a priority for me so will discuss with the Mrs how much she wants the convenience.

But a good point re washing the car if we do get it !!!
VanB

Post by VanB »

Thx VanB

Sounds like we are in a similar place. I wouldn't bother even if no increased security risk as I don't mind using a key. But, like you, Mrs 95BFan likes the idea having tried it in a used SD.

We don't live in a particularly high risk area but as we have about a month to nail the spec so think I will try to use my influencing skills on the Mrs...

Good luck with the 911 C4GTS - new (991.2) with the turbo or used ?

With a little luck and a fair wind a nice shiny new 991.2. To go with the Macan instead of replacing. I think the would make a nice pair on the drive
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

Hello and welcome, great specification there. If you order coloured seat belts you get all 5 the same colour but with the GTS interior you just get 4. Would it be worth asking if your OPC could order the central belt and fit it for you before collection?

Thanks for the welcome, Andy352. V excited by the prospect of a Rhodium Silver GTS...

I had the same thought and am definitely going to ask my OPC to see if they can get me the central belt in silver. Doesn't make any sense to me that if I wanted them in Pebble Grey I could get all 5 that color but cant with the GTS interior...

Will let you know how I get on !
95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

Welcome 95BFan.

As a GTS owner in Rhodium with full GTS interior I can say it looks fab. The seat belt thing worried me but it's perfectly fine. It's an expensive option but it does make it a very special place to be.

As for the Entry and Drive it is certainly less secure but it does depend where you live and go. You have to be very unlucky too for things to go wrong.
The problem with these systems is the signal can be boosted of the card which is in your house at the time allowing them to open and drive it off. The car won't stop until the ignition is switched off or petrol run out for safety reasons.
This is why all the range rovers have the old fashioned steering wheel locks in london.

You will hear very little Macan thefts compared to RR but there is also a very different amount sold.
I did not spec entry and drive on mine because of the security concerns. You generally cannot have convenience and security together.
There are flaws in all systems and generally the car key unlocking is only 40 bit encryption which can be captured or blocked from locking your car by jamming it. But imo the key is safer and a gentle tug on the handle does the trick.

Either way like most things always be contious of your surroundings and what's going on. You do have to be very unlucky these days as car thefts are way down and recovery is very high if you have a tracker so you don't have to make a £70k claim.

Not sure it's made your decision any easier but hope it helps.

Kasfranks99,

Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply. Good to hear from a current RS GTS owner with the same interior we are looking at !

I am in agreement with you on the trade off between convenience and security, and taking a physical button push and key in ignition out of the equation is bound to be less secure.

Does PVTS come as standard on a Macan ? Not sure I've seen it on the options.

Your comments definitely useful - thanks.

Can I ask one follow up query on your RS GTS - did you spec the black door handles (I am assuming you kept the std black RS 20s) ? I keep ticking and unpicking that box to see how it looks...currently not on the order but I heading towards adding it (along with the spare wheel...).