Satnav display disappeared from binnacle!

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

Went out this morning and the satnav display has disappeared from the binnacle! The lane departure warning is still visible but other than that, just a black screen. All other functions are still working in the display and the satnav is working on the main screen. Has anyone else had this problem? Just switch the car back on again for the second time and it is now visible again.
2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP

johnd

Post by johnd »

I really don't think that manufacturers have fully got to grips with modern digital units and specifically in designing enough checks and fixes into the firmware to ensure that all units on the car's 'network' report first time every time or, if not, to recycle the unit until it does do what's expected of it (or alternatively to throw a visible error).

It's just not that uncommon on my Macan or on any other recent cars that I've owned for odd errors to occur, which disappear when the ignition is off for eg 5 minutes and then turned on again. My most recent one is Google Earth disappearing from the Connect Plus unit. SIM card was recognised, nothing had been changed on the settings, but try as I might, there was no button for GE on the display. Actually IIRC it took a day or more before the GE icon reappeared of its own volition and all has been fine again for the past 2-3 weeks.

Clearly there's some sort of issue there, but what are the chances of the OPC being able to find and fix it? There's no current fault at all so there's no real troubleshooting that the OPC can do. Maybe it's logged a fault, maybe not, but all that the OPC are likely to do is to clear the error log and say wait and see if it happens again. I don't blame them - I'm not sure what more the relatively non-expert (in terms of digital fault-finding I mean) OPC technicians could do. They could spend hours trying to track down a transient fault and fail. They could maybe be persuaded to swap out one of the units (but which one?), but at significant and probably unjustifiable cost.

But to me it just represents the state of the art in modern car design - it's still some way from perfect, even for a prestige make.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Retired

Post by Retired »

Had similar' the nav / map disappeared from the MFD mid journey. Switch off / on didn't cure it but was OK after overnight stop.

Others have reported similar.

Would guess s/w related so might respond to an update if one available.

Unfortunately quite a few low level / irritation features in the PCM software.

Software is not a Porsche strength. They are good at the mechanical bits though.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Happened to mine once, a while back (standard nav, no connect)
Binnacle screen was blank at start up when scrolled through to nav.
Switch off engine, restart, all fine (and has been since)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
R850R

Post by R850R »

Different issue but a couple of days ago after leaving the car parked for a couple of hours, I started up to find my jukebox had "gone" in that it would neither play nor show my tracks.
Nothing would bring it back, tried 2 or 3 re-starts. All I could get was that infernal Porsche 'muzak'.
Next morning everything back to normal.
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
DougL

Post by DougL »

My pcm rebooted today mid drive. First time that's happened...
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Exactly same binnacle sat nav problem happened in mine last week. Screen was completely blank. Car was parked overnight and problem disappeared. Just hope it was a one-off!!?
Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

Thanks for all your comments. Perhaps it is re-assuring that mine isn't the only one to experience the issue!
2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

I have posted previously a similar problem, but with mine the tuner display also goes monochrome. It has happened 4 times now, first two times were within a couple of days and I sent pictures to the dealer. They said Porsche were unaware of this problem, but suggested changing the dashboard wiring harness which was duly done. A few weeks later it happened again, this time they replaced the complete instrument binnacle behind the steering wheel, but not the central display. The service manager was not confident of this repair and was right, it happened again today. I have sent a strongly worded email to the dealer requesting them to come up with a definite solution rather than just replacing parts on a trial and error basis. Based on the number of people mentioning the problem on here it is a design or software problem, not just a faulty component on my car. It will be interesting to hear what they say on Monday, as I'm not prepared to keep sending my car back for up to a week at a time while they experiment on it to try to find the problem. Rejecting the car seems OTT for such a minor problem that does not affect the performance of the car, but conversely paying almost £60k for a car that has faults is not on either. Not sure what to push for with the dealer, all suggestions welcome! Have those that have experienced this problem informed their dealer or just ignored it as it seems to cure itself if the car is turned off, locked and left for a while. Just turning it off and back on again does not cure it on my car.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Bibaldybloke. I have had exactly the same issue only once though.
I am very confident it's a software issue and nothing to be done until an update comes out.
We just all need to report it though so it can be logged.

Problem happened a couple of weeks ago and never happened again.
These issues are the biggest problems for all car manufacturers now as full of computers and software.
When this problem happens how have you resolved it? Have you tried powering off the pcm for 5 mins and back in again?
Yes it sounds like a typical techie asking you to reboot🙄 Sorry.
GTS 😀