Porsche Connect registration issues solved

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Ironically I have been pleased with the PCM/Bluetooth aspect of my Macan however that is probably because I didn't spec Connect+ and therefore had lower expectations. The phone works well and I can stream music. Sat nav OK so far. I suppose I am not coming from a car with a well specced IT system.

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

So my top tip is to expect that it won't work or do anything useful and you might be pleasantly surprised. Not what you want from a £50-70k car though.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Online updates is still broken I see.

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I did email Porsche about the map updates. There customer communication was good in that someone tried to call me more than once to explain - but I was traveling and didn't take the calls. They then emailed me to say that it was limited to 3 region updates per year to avoid data costs. Now I don't believe the data cost bit, I assume it is actually perceived piracy opportunities. I replied saying that 3 regions wasn't even enough to update for a trip to Europe....for which they apologised and said that the dealer could do a full update FoC.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

So my top tip is to expect that it won't work or do anything useful and you might be pleasantly surprised. Not what you want from a £50-70k car though.

I guess expectations are key. I find that with the latest addition of all the apps, plus the standard nav / infotainment and Apple Car Play, I am more than happy with the level of tech in the car. I'm not sure what else I might want it to do. I still find the most annoying thing in the car that it blasts out music every time I turn it on!
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
daftpuddin

Post by daftpuddin »

How long are people waiting for the "invitation"? Been told it may be a few weeks - pretty meaningless. Nearly two months waiting now,chasing up OPC makes no difference.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Well it was over 2 months for me, but once they got to the bottom of the problem is was about 8 hours.

All the information you need to get it resolved is in the top post.
daftpuddin

Post by daftpuddin »

That's good to know. Thanks for this, really helpful
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

How long are people waiting for the "invitation"? Been told it may be a few weeks - pretty meaningless. Nearly two months waiting now,chasing up OPC makes no difference.

Was about 2 weeks for me.

goron59

Post by goron59 »

I thought I'd persevere with the online update thing (see error pics above) so whilst out today, I checked for updates again.

At 11:06 I checked and it informed me I had 9.1KB of "Portal points of interest" to download and about 1GB of mapping data for "England South" and "England North, Ireland"

It then went through a series of 6 download steps at approx 350KB/sec.

At 12:02 it finally told me that "Installation will be continued if you park your vehicle".

So almost an hour!

I know from previous updates that you need to be powered up during the download bit or it doesn't complete, so that's quite a long time.

Now at 350KB/s is not bad - that's tethered to my phone on EE. When I use my Three SIM instead I get about 50KB/s so I'd have to powered up for 7 HOURS!

Anyway, at the end of it, I had the following updates.

(Unamusingly, I had to keep the engine on from time to time whilst doing all this, and my "trip" MPG went from 28.6 to 18.8)