MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Neilzy

Post by Neilzy »

Hi
I've joined the forum as I'm at my wits end with my 6 month old Macan S diesel
The car has now been towed back to Porsche 3 times with the DPF warning light and been off the road for 4 weeks in total
The car has covered 6000 miles from new and 1000 miles between the last two visits to Porsche in 5 weeks
The car is driven on a mixture of motorway,dual carriageway and London traffic
Is anyone else having similar experiences?
Thanks

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Welcome and sorry to hear about your problems.
How often does it go for a decent run above 2000rpm for 25 minutes or more for the regen to start?

There have been other reports but most have been put down to driving style...
Plenty of SD owners will no doubt advise of their experiences...
GTS 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I had an SD but did not experience any issues in the 6000 miles that I did with it.

Conversely others have had problems despite reporting that their journeys have been of the type that should have resulted in normal regen.

Unfortunately you are well past the time period for returning the car for a full refund due to it being defective.

I would suggest that you go back to meet the dealership principle and discuss what they plan to do in rectifying the problem.

Meanwhile if you search this forum you will find quite a few threads on the DPF issues experienced and reading these will arm you with information that you may fing useful in your dealings with your OPC.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Sorry to hear that Neilzy. I have a SD in London too. Have owned it since Oct last year and driven just over 4000 miles. I tend to only drive the car if long enough to get it up to full temperature so no very short journeys. Other than that, tends to be longer journeys out of town. Thankfully, no DPF issues at the moment, but not sure why. Hope you get your problem sorted asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Paul

Post by Paul »

6000 miles in 6 months should present no issues at all re DPF...it does sound like a sensor issue rather than a DPF fault.
Do you always run a full (ish) tank? This can make a difference on dpf regeneration....
No help, but my first SD ran 8000 miles in 8 months without missing a beat... (sorry!...)

PS 6 months old with 3 dealership visits for the same fault could allow for vehicle rejection if you do ultimately decide to go down this route.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I did a quick search and found a bit more information of rejecting a car.

Worth putting in writing to the dealer principle and having a letter delivered and receipted if you are below six months.
Of all the articles here at The Car Expert, the one which has generated the largest number of questions is our advice on the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and rejecting a car. Based on the hundreds of questions we have received, we have decided to put together a new article which answers many of those questions more directly. This article now replaces our original one from a year ago.

In this article, we explain what the law says and the timeframes for rejecting a car. We then look at the different grounds for rejecting a car, and then we have a handy checklist of tips for rejecting a car.

From October 2015, the previous Sale of Goods Act 1979 was effectively replaced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for consumer retail sales. It is important to note that this covers cars bought from a trader (whether new or used, and either a franchised dealer or an independent garage) for consumer (ie – private) use. Vehicles bought by private sale or at auction, and vehicles bought for business use, are not covered by the new Act.

The new Act provides some clearer guidance for both buyers and sellers about the rights a customer has to reject a car which is faulty or not fit for purpose. However it is important to remember that motor cars are complicated machines, with hundreds of thousands of components working under a variety of hostile conditions. Therefore not every fault in a vehicle is going to mean you can simply give the car back and expect a full refund.

Understandably, the dealer will want to inspect the car for themselves before agreeing to refund your money. A vehicle rejection is very expensive for a dealer, because they have to buy the car back from you at the original price and will have repair costs before presumably selling it for less money afterwards. Therefore, the dealer is likely to dispute your rejection unless you can make your case clearly and confidently.

If the dealership refuses to accept your rejection, you will need to take legal action against them to reject the vehicle. This means engaging a solicitor and potentially taking the dealer to court – which will be expensive, and there is no guarantee you will win.
Car buyers will benefit from the new Consumer Rights Act 2015
If you do have valid grounds to reject your vehicle (see the next page for more detail on this), then your specific rights will depend on how long you have owned the car. The Consumer Rights Act covers your short-term right to reject, which lasts for 30 days after taking delivery of your car, and the final right to reject, which covers you for six months from purchase.

Short-term right to reject – the first 30 days

If your new or used car has a significant fault that was present when you bought it (as opposed to developing afterwards), you can reject the car within the first 30 days and get a full refund.

You do not have to accept a repair or replacement vehicle (although you can if you want to).

If you have part-exchanged your previous car on the new one, you will not get it back. Instead, you will be entitled to the full invoice price of the car (including road tax, VAT, etc).

You are entitled to a full refund by the same method in which you paid for the car. The dealer cannot charge for usage, wear and tear, collection of the vehicle or anything else.

Unless there is a clause in the sales contract which says you are obliged to return the car, then it is the dealer’s obligation to collect the vehicle. You only have to make sure the car is available to collect. Be reasonable about this and work with the dealer if you want to get your money back – make their lives difficult and you can be sure they will return the favour…

Final right to reject – the first six months

If you have had the car for more than 30 days but less than six months, you have to give the selling dealer one attempt to fix the fault before moving to reject the vehicle. If the repair has not fixed the fault, you can reject the vehicle.

If you have part-exchanged your old car on the new one, you will not get it back. Instead, you will get a cash value for the new car. However, unlike the short-term right to reject, it may not be the full value.

In this instance, the dealer is able to claim a reduction in the value of the vehicle based on the mileage covered and time elapsed. There is no guidance on how much they can charge you, so be prepared to negotiate this with the dealer – or have a judge decide, if it goes to court.

As above, it is the dealer’s obligation to collect the vehicle under the Act. You cannot be charged for return costs or be forced to return the vehicle yourself.

Rejecting a car should not be your first move

If your have discovered a fault with a car you have just bought, you shouldn’t automatically move to reject it. It may be a relatively easy fix that takes a lot less time and hassle than trying to reject the vehicle.

Rejecting a car isn’t as simple as going back to the dealer and walking out with a nice fat cheque. The dealer will want to conduct their own assessment of the vehicle to decide if they agree with your contention that the vehicle should be rejected, and they may well not agree with you. If they refuse to accept your rejection, you will need to take legal action to pursue the matter. You will also need to get written reports from another garage to back up your claim.

When you reject the vehicle, the dealer has to buy the car back from you for the same price you paid for it. You have to sign the registration forms back over, and if there is finance on the vehicle then that has to be cancelled as well. It can be complicated to unwind, and you might not get your money back for several weeks.

The dealer may offer to repair the fault and potentially even give you some form of compensation as well. This may be a better result than pursuing a rejection, and may save you a lot of hassle as well since you won’t have to go through the process of buying another car.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

If it helps i am having the same issue. My Macan is approx 7 weeks old, covered 1600 miles and i have had the warning come on 4 times (twice where it has thrown the engine warning light on). I took mine back to OPC on Saturday as the regen warning came on, i literally tried to do a force regen myself as per the handbook but whilst doing this it threw on the engine warning and went into "limp" mode. I do some short journeys but have made a point of taking it for a long run once a week. I don't think it is unreasonable for a car to do some short journeys but it seems like the Macan has been built for motorways only. I am currently awaiting a call from the OPC to let me know what course of action they are taking. I will keep you updated..............
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I had my first diesel Macan May 14 to May 15 and did about 8000 miles without any issues . My current Macan bought in May 15 has now done 13,500 miles without any DPF issues and I do mainly town local short trips during week with a regularish Motorway run at weekend . I just hope that when my car has its software upgrade later this month that I do not start to have issues.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ Good point Mark - I wonder if it is related to the newer emissions software. My service is due in July so I'll wait to hear from you before deciding on the SW update! ;)
Neilzy

Post by Neilzy »

Hi guys thanks for your advise
I have spoken to both Porsche Reading and Porsche Finance this morning and advised them that I do not want the car returned from the dealership when it has eventually been repaired as the car is not 'fit for purpose'
As there is a balloon payment on the purchase at the end of the 3 years the finance company have to handle the dispute as they are the legal owner
I have also spoken to a Macan owner who has now returned his wife's Macan S diesel back to the dealership as it has been back to their workshop on 5 occasions in the 8 months they have owned it. It had only covered 3500 miles
They have agreed to swap the car for a petrol version later this summer.
I'll keep you up to date with events
Regards
Neilzy