Looking into the crystal ball

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Will the vandals / drunk revellers be having a field day with all those trailing cables when / if electric plug in takes off in volume?

i wonder too how many drivers currently have access to do a plug-in at home? - for example those that live in tower blocks, cannot park outside their property, live in Listed properties with no ability to mount external wall chargers, etc, etc.

The cost of replacing the EV battery is huge and so some manufacturers do a monthly lease on the battery. But what about when the car's out of warranty or 6+ years old? one of the reasons why EV residuals are SO low compared to their diesel / petrol equivalents.

I use rechargeable garden machinery and there's no doubt that the latest batteries hold there charge longer and recharge quicker.....BUT far from instant compared to petrol versions! for me this is STILL the achilles heel of the EV.

Maybe that's why the vast majority of car makers are still bringing out internal combustion engined new 2018 models.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

goron59

Post by goron59 »

Yes, if you have a Tesla, it knows exactly where all the super chargers are.
Nissan Leaf has chargepoints in its db too, but it's not live and gets out of date quickly.
I'm sure Audi, BMW, Volvo etc all keep theirs reasonably up to date with the live services.

But then if they're like Porsche's live connect services, they could still be quite badly out of date.

Of course you can ask Siri to navigate you to a charging station. Android Auto I'm sure will do the same.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Crystal ball gazing on charging.

EVs in the future will have onboard dual charging systems.

1) Plug in

2) Wireless via a plate embedded in the road.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Saw online the other day that France will require all cars to be EV by 2040 (not sure of precise details as it was on the BBC).

Same thing and date seen yesterday on the BBC re the UK.

23 years to get the infrastructure sorted is not long.

30 million cars all plugged in charging at c19:00 plus homes being at their highest energy usage will need a fair amount of electrical power.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Caster

Post by Caster »

I might buy some more shares in the energy companies! :)
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Imagine if someone proposed having outlets in every town with highly flammable liquid available on demand?!
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Paul

Post by Paul »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:52 am Imagine if someone proposed having outlets in every town with highly flammable liquid available on demand?!
😉....or worse still, that we all were drive around with a quantity of this flammable liquid in the boots of our cars!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Paul wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:51 am
CharlesElliott wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:52 am Imagine if someone proposed having outlets in every town with highly flammable liquid available on demand?!
😉....or worse still, that we all were drive around with a quantity of this flammable liquid in the boots of our cars!
Or driving cars with a floor full of charged batteries which have highly volatile chemicals inside them that are waiting to burst into flames in a crash.

IMG_2700.JPG

Col
Macan Turbo
goron59

Post by goron59 »

The white van did quite well to resist that!

The other problem with Tesla...

tesla no v8.jpeg

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Yes, lithium has its downsides. I suspect that lithium fires will be relatively fewer than petrol fires but I don't have any data to back that up.

My point was people suggesting a world full of people tripping up on extension leads is not a realistic proposition, anymore than the world being full of petrol fires.

This thread is full of worst case scenarios (in my opinion).
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8