Looking into the crystal ball

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Caster

Post by Caster »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 pm This thread is full of worst case scenarios (in my opinion).
Except for me hopefully making lots of money from my extra energy shares! :D :D
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 pm
My point was people suggesting a world full of people tripping up on extension leads is not a realistic proposition, anymore than the world being full of petrol fires.
I don't think you can really class petrol fires (you don't see many of those in day to day life - I've witnessed maybe half a dozen in my lifetime and I'm nearly 50) in the same league as the practicalities of charging EVs at home. It simply isn't going to be feasible for everyone to have an EV charging facility at home since there are so many effectively homeless vehicles parked everywhere on the streets. Of course it may well come to pass that you don't need to charge at home (as with petrol/diesel vehicles), but only if battery tech allows a *5 min charge time at the "EV station". If people are expected to wait an hour or more for a charge up then I'd be investing heavily in Costa Coffee!

In short I don't think the EV revolution will truly happen in my lifetime (I'll be 72 in 2040), but I expect there will be plenty of take-up for those who are able to charge their EVs at home. As I said earlier, I can see myself using an EV alongside a more conventional hybrid within the next few years. But this gung-ho press about ALL new cars being totally EV in the next decade I think is a load of b******* frankly. There are way too many practical issues for it to actually happen. Same with driverless cars, but I digress.

* With Lithium batteries, the faster you charge them the quicker they wear out.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

+1
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
happy days

Post by happy days »

My colleague arrived into work this morning with a new Cayenne E-Hybrid. I was asking her about it and she reckons that on a charge she will get to work and back (about 15 miles) but not much more. Her philosophy is to use the engine on the open road and switch to electric in towns and cities and that will work well.

She says the biggest problem with it is pedestrians not hearing her approach! I'm going to take a wee drive in it later. Never driven a Cayenne or an electric car so I'm looking forward to it.
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Two EV Apps that I have found Zap Map and Plug share.

They do show a fair number of charging stations.

London does have quite a few but if I look at Liverpool there is currently just two public car parks with charging stations and Manchester is not much better. Just what the availability of them to use is another matter.

Now if I look at the Lake District here is only one in a public car park the remainder are at hotels or guest houses.

One of our favourite destinations with the Grandkids is St Annes where there are two charging stations at a Hotel, so just how accessible are these charging stations. St Annes happens to be about 35 miles from home hence at the max range of a new Mini hybrid's battery, hence if I was to get one of these cars I would need access to a charging station to top up in readiness for the return journey home after a day on the beach.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Our favourite "overnight stop" auberge in France is about 200 miles from Calais. It's not an upmarket place but I did notice that in the last year or so 4 Tesla Superchargers had been installed at presumably great expense. We stayed there twice recently, once on the way to Provence and once on the way back last week. No electric vehicles in evidence. In fact we didn't see a single Tesla except hooked up to the juice at the Eurotunnel car park.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Guy

Post by Guy »

martin5789 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:06 pm Our favourite "overnight stop" auberge in France is about 200 miles from Calais. It's not an upmarket place but I did notice that in the last year or so 4 Tesla Superchargers had been installed at presumably great expense. We stayed there twice recently, once on the way to Provence and once on the way back last week. No electric vehicles in evidence. In fact we didn't see a single Tesla except hooked up to the juice at the Eurotunnel car park.
It would seem that Tesla are offering to subsidize early adopters - from their website: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/destination-charging

Charging Partners Wanted

Attract Tesla drivers to your property by joining the Destination Charging network. Qualified properties will receive their first two Wall Connectors at no cost. In addition, they will benefit from visibility in the charging maps on the Tesla website and in-vehicle navigation.

There were two Tesla charging points being fitted here when I stayed about a month ago: http://www.olddowntonlodge.com/
Deleted User 1874

There are half a dozen or so Tesla charging points in MK shopping centre carpark. All in use last Sunday morning at 8 am, which surprised me as there was almost nobody else around and the shops don't open until 11 am. I guess the local Tesla owners get up early to charge up!

All this talk of an EV revolution in the very near future and the reality is that they're a token gesture niche market today with some serious practical issues to overcome. I see a fair few Nissan Leafs (or should that be leaves?) around town and that kind of EV makes sense for some people, but hardly a game changer for most.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Peteski wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:36 pm There are half a dozen or so Tesla charging points in MK shopping centre carpark. All in use last Sunday morning at 8 am, which surprised me as there was almost nobody else around and the shops don't open until 11 am. I guess the local Tesla owners get up early to charge up!
Probably cheaper and much more practical than getting a charger point installed at their homes....homes with no drives / garages.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

Paul wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:27 pm
Peteski wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:36 pm There are half a dozen or so Tesla charging points in MK shopping centre carpark. All in use last Sunday morning at 8 am, which surprised me as there was almost nobody else around and the shops don't open until 11 am. I guess the local Tesla owners get up early to charge up!
Probably cheaper and much more practical than getting a charger point installed at their homes....homes with no drives / garages.....
No doubt true, but the whole concept sounds totally impractical to me. Sure it might work for a small number of people, but not me or most others. The idea of charging overnight at home is attractive though as I do find petrol stations a nuisance. But I'm lucky enough to have a nice big garage and private driveway, which is becoming increasingly rare in the UK. The main issue with charging any EV away from home is the slow charge time. Tesla reckon 30 mins for a 170 mile range, which sounds okay until you actually have to hang around for 30 mins (presuming no additional wait for a charge point). Even a couple of minutes in a petrol station is annoying enough for a 500 mile range.