Smart Routing

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I went on a journey today and ended up routing around in the satnav menus to see what options I had - and came across smart routing. The default seems to be not activated. And I can't see anything on the forum about it. I did do a search but if anyone knows of any old threads, by all means point me in that direction.

Has anyone used it or had any significnat experience with it? From the GTK app, it looks like it learns frequent routes and suggests them as alternatives to its own ideas. This could work well, since it has some very strange ideas about the best lanes to take near my house. Just to see what it was on about, I actually followed the route home today. Quite a lot of single lane windy roads. Not very clever of it. It frequently tries to do this to me, so learning better local alternatives could be useful.

VanB

Post by VanB »

I turned smart routing on when I first got my Macan and now, 6 months later, it has still learnt nothing!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Sounds like I haven't missed much. I will turn it on and see if it stops trying to send me down stupid routes - but that doesn't sound promising.
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

I have found it does work. There are two routes out of the village to the main road, the navigation by default suggests the obvious shorter one but this road is heavily used by farm traffic so I take the second. After a few journeys (not sure how many) on my chosen road the sat nav then started suggesting that option. Traffic information is still applied to that route and you can switch between options by touching the smart route symbol at the top right of the screen.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Third stage wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 am I have found it does work. There are two routes out of the village to the main road, the navigation by default suggests the obvious shorter one but this road is heavily used by farm traffic so I take the second. After a few journeys (not sure how many) on my chosen road the sat nav then started suggesting that option. Traffic information is still applied to that route and you can switch between options by touching the smart route symbol at the top right of the screen.
Interesting.
I routinely ignore the PCM satnav when leaving and entering London, because it seems rather clueless about very busy roads, even with live traffic, but I've never been able to select a smart route as the it's always unavailable.
I've since given up using PCM nav in London (CarPlay liveness and knowledge of roads is much better), but I would still like to see Smart Routing work.
Perhaps some more experiments are in order :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

In the GTK app go to Navigation and Connectivity, Navigation and scroll just after half way down and smart routing is all explained there.

I have bookmarked numerous pages so I can search and find them much easier in the app.
GTS 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Yea, I read the instructions on day 1, but it never did what it says.
Or rather, it does the bit where you have to do some miles first.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

As per my original post I did read the GTK app. What I wanted to know was if anyone had used it and if they found it works. Opinions seem to differ. I have now turned mine on and will see what I get.
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

It only records the smart route if you have an active route you are following. It will then remember your diversion or rat run but not the first time you take that route. You have to repeat the same diversion a couple of times. (not sure exactly how many). If you want to delete a smart route after say some road works have been completed you can do this by deleting smart routes by the day, week, or month.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Third stage wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:41 am It only records the smart route if you have an active route you are following. It will then remember your diversion or rat run but not the first time you take that route. You have to repeat the same diversion a couple of times. (not sure exactly how many). If you want to delete a smart route after say some road works have been completed you can do this by deleting smart routes by the day, week, or month.
Not according to the GTK app. It specifically says that it records routes even if guidance has not started. I am not sure what to believe. I don't know if a route has to be set without being started - it implies not. I have turned it on now and will see if it makes any difference to any of the dodgy routes over the next few weeks.