speed limit indicator

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Hi, Anyone noticed the speed limit indicator doesn't read the overhead signs on Motorways? apparently its a known issue which should have been explained when I purchased the optional extra. Just wondered if it works for anyone before I request a full refund.

Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

To my knowledge, it doesn't read any signs, it uses GPS to work out what the fixed speed limits are relative to your location.
It will not work on continually variable speed limits such as motorways unless the information is made available to the data base that feeds your speed limiter.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

PBT147 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:34 am Hi, Anyone noticed the speed limit indicator doesn't read the overhead signs on Motorways? apparently its a known issue which should have been explained when I purchased the optional extra. Just wondered if it works for anyone before I request a full refund.
That sucks.

I did not specify the camera sign recognition system myself but it beggars belief that the Porsche development team did not include overhead signage.

Hope you get it sorted.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Sidscott wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 am To my knowledge, it doesn't read any signs, it uses GPS to work out what the fixed speed limits are relative to your location.
It will not work on continually variable speed limits such as motorways unless the information is made available to the data base that feeds your speed limiter.

Its defo supposed to work by reading the signs, I think you maybe confusing the standard version which comes on with the Nav and is displayed on the RH corner of the screen? this system removes the speed limit from the nav screen and puts it in the system control display (the RH circular dial on of the dash dials)
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Its defo supposed to work by reading the signs, I think you maybe confusing the standard version which comes on with the Nav and is displayed on the RH corner of the screen? this system removes the speed limit from the nav screen and puts it in the system control display (the RH circular dial on of the dash dials)
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

If that is the case then I stand corrected and its a pretty poor effort by Porsche in not allowing it to read overhead signs!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

This is what the Confuserator says

Camera-based recognition of speed limits, ‘no overtaking’ zones (start and end) and various other signs (skid risk, temporary restrictions) in interaction with the vehicle sensor system. Information is shown on the colour display in the instrument cluster.(Only available in combination with navigation module)

An extra costing £252

Note that it is supposed to read tempory restrictions.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I will test it next time I am on a motorway.
I believe if it can't read the sign due to poor weather etc it falls back to GPS.

I use it all the time and it's been very accurate and useful for me on the roads I have beeen driving on.
GTS 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

When I test drove a Macan with this option fitted I found it missed quite a few permanent roadside speed limit signs. It seemed to need the sign to be presented fairly full-on to the front of the car. I didn't test it with overhead motorway signs. But I didn't specify this option for the reason that I felt it wasn't accurate enough and could lull me into missing changes of speed limit.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

It's one thing worrying about what is and is not displayed and laying the blame but shouldn't we all really be paying attention to the prevailing circumstances and 'actual' signage?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀