speed limit indicator

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Porsche GB said that it SHOULD read overhead speed limit signs and they are currently in the process of trying to get this resolved, so that in mind and comments about the amount of variation/types of displays around Europe this I guess will be a lengthy process.

Panamera system works fine, and also Audi/Merc systems work fine too!

Retired

Post by Retired »

I've just driven to Gatwick and back. This involved the M25 from the A3 junction to the M23 junction. Given the time of day (about 16:00 to 19:00) this involved lots of changes of speed limit (40/50/60/ national limit) displayed on the overhead gantries.

In light of this thread I kept a close eye on well how the speed limit indicator (camera based) coped.

Not well, it successfully noticed about 60% of the changes. Which is pretty poor.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Surprising given how this is a very common form of signage in Germany.

Other cars seem to do it much better.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Retired wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:35 pm I've just driven to Gatwick and back. This involved the M25 from the A3 junction to the M23 junction. Given the time of day (about 16:00 to 19:00) this involved lots of changes of speed limit (40/50/60/ national limit) displayed on the overhead gantries.

In light of this thread I kept a close eye on well how the speed limit indicator (camera based) coped.

Not well, it successfully noticed about 60% of the changes. Which is pretty poor.
I wonder if it's related to today's weather. Reading Paul's extract from the manual on page 2 of this post it does give a number of reasons for it not to work well and rain and heavy spray are just two of them which you may have experienced today?
I haven't driven in todays constant rainy conditions to test it yet... 😳

If it wasn't raining or any spray at the time then it's poor... :cry:
GTS 😀
Retired

Post by Retired »

It was raining most of the time but one particular failure to detect the speed displayed caught my attention. The indicator was showing 50 mph, the correct speed limit from the last overhead sign. I was travelling a about 5 mph and the rain had almost stopped when I approached and went under a gantry showing 40 mph. The car failed to spot this new speed limit.

I though it should have been the easiest to detect; really low speed, no spray and light rain.

I've had this functionality on a 5 series BMW. Not faultless by any means but better than the Porsche.

Didn't really trust it in the BM. Definitely don't trust it in the Macan.
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Thanks everyone for the feedback and going to the trouble of testing. I have tried in good weather and still the same poor results like you guys have mentioned. The whole idea of the system is actually to assist the driver whilst driving on dark unfamiliar roads or during poor weather condition when its easy to miss the odd sign, sure we have all done it having that mad panic slowing down to 30/40 to find you are on a 50 limit!!

I do think from the tech issue I have had with the Macan proves that Porsche are quite way behind BMW/MERC and a few other non premium brands too.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Paid particular notice to overhead gantry variable speed signs on the M4 on a dry day. Yes the SLI did pick them all up on my 2018 model year display. On other roads it picked up virtually all the speed signs shown in a red circle sign. It does not pick up the advisory ones.

Big fan of this option as gives you reassurance on unfamiliar roads that change to and fro 20 / 30/ 40 in town. Had it on my last two Mercs too and like most of these gizmos once experienced you don't want to go back to being without it. Auto-lights / wipers etc. :o :idea:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Does it read speed limits painted on the road?
(Basically all the 20 limits in London)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

I've got the speed limit option on mine and it's pretty unreliable on ordinary roads, often showing the wrong limit, sometimes too high and sometimes too low. It's not a patch on my previous Merc, that was almost 100% accurate, Porsche is around the 60% mark. Not many motorways in Lincolnshire to check overhead gantry signs.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

goron59 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:06 pm Does it read speed limits painted on the road?
(Basically all the 20 limits in London)
No - it only picks up signs with the red circle and the speed shown on these in the west country.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver