New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Garty2010 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:05 pm Thanks Kasfranks99. The reason for the entry and drive is that I have the on my current and previous RR Sport and have got used to it. However, the security of the system isn't something that I have previously considered and you do have a point. Interesting points on the other items - I can see that this is going to cost me.....
No problem and fair enough.

I did try and offset the entry and drive with the additions ;)

Also assume you have listened to the Bose and the Standard Audio? Some feel that the standard is more than enough.
Another possible saving... :) Worth a listen and judge for yourself if you have not already
GTS 😀

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The whole issue of vehicle security was covered by Bassa who has far more knowledge on the subject than anyone else on the forum.

Read

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4116&hilit=Security

And if you then do not delete Entry and Drive from your spec then I would be most surprized.

Btw

This option whilst more or less removes the need for a key it does mean that a dummy key is permanently stuck in the ignition switch. This has resulted in one posted confirmation that their Macan was broken into on the belief that the would be thief thought that the key had been left in the ignition.

Also on the USA based Macan forum a guy with said system dropped his Wife off at the shopping mall before going to park at the far side of the car park only to find out that his Wife had the one and only key between them and she was over 400m away inside the mall.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Without going too much off topic a friend of mines road has had 14 cars stolen (none were Porsche) in less than a month.
Both keys in possession of the owner and no broken glass.
Took less than a minute CCTV has proven.... At the very least use a blocking wallet and use it at all times.

There is a very good reason all Range Rovers have steering wheel locks on them in London...
GTS 😀
Garty2010

Post by Garty2010 »

Hmm, maybe I have been lucky with my keyless entry Range Rovers as they do get parked in London for the day on quite a few occasions. The posts make interesting reading and I may delete entry and drive now.
Sapphire blue Macan GTS
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJZ7F2T6
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Unless you have a strong need for Air, like extra ground clearance, towing, carrying heavy loads, I'd say leave it off, especially on a GTS.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

"To Air or not to Air on a GTS", that is the question.
On 20's probably not, on 21's perhaps. I have Air on 19's and we love it. Mrs B reckoned she noticed the smoother ride within a mile. I only felt queasy once on a very winding pitching road around Rutland water.
Keyless was on Macan 1 and it annoyed me when washing the car, locking and unlcking the cars whenever I was near the door handles, so left it off no 2.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:52 pm Unless you have a strong need for Air, like extra ground clearance, towing, carrying heavy loads, I'd say leave it off, especially on a GTS.
+1 on no more basis that it is not a 'sporting' option and you are looking at a GTS ;) but as we have all have to recognise everyone has slightly different needs. The one thing that seems clear to me is the Macan is the most versatile Porsche in the range so in many ways will have the most variety of choices chosen by purchasers. :D
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
spook

Post by spook »

Pete wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 pm I personally feel that there isn't that much of a security issue for the entry/drive system unless a hacker is standing within a metre of you while you lock/unlock the car. Using a standard remote lock is probably more insecure as the radio has a longer range. But do your own reading up on this. I've always felt that keyless entry is safer and I've not ready anything that's convinced me it's not the case.
As it has already been written Porsche's dummy key in the ignition is a thiefs "it's my lucky day " situation and Porsche will even let you have it painted to look more obvious !! :o :o

My understanding of the method used for stealing cars that have entry /drive systems is, person one is outside your house with an RF transciever which operates on the frequency band of the car key. This detects / receives your key fob (which will always be transmitting) low level signal it then re transmits that exact signal at a much greater power output and bobs your uncle your in and you can start it. The only way to stop this is :
Take the battery out of the key fob, not really an option.
Put your key fob in a faraday shield i.e metal box or fridge !

Quote form Porsche web site :
* The Porsche Entry & Drive System uses state of the art technology. However, it cannot be completely ruled out that the key´s wireless encryption code is intercepted and used to open or steal the vehicle.
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
Garty2010

Post by Garty2010 »

Well I have made a few tweaks, not least the Entry and Drive has been removed. Surround cameras and the garage door Homelink have been added. A couple of questions though:

The spare wheel size appears to be either 18" or 19" only? Can it be used safely with 20" or 21" wheels?

Does anyone have the adaptive cruise control? I like the sound of it, but have not experienced it. I do tend to use my normal cc quite a bit on motorway journeys to keep speed from creeping up.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Sapphire blue Macan GTS
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJZ7F2T6
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

You need the 18" spare. It fits all Macans with conventional brakes, i.e. not ceramic, regardless of the size of wheels you have fitted.

I only have standard cruise control as I prefer to drive the car myself. Others who have ACC say it is worthwhile particularly on long motorway journeys.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA