Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:43 am
Sidscott wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:02 am I think the SD is the perfect engine for an SUV like the Macan.
I can only agree with the other comments above regarding its prowess, economy and versatility.
It's by far the most popular variant of the Macan family for good reason!
When the first Macan was released there was the S, SD and Turbo.

After a while the wait periods settled and the waits was approximately: -

SD was 9m

S was 15m

Turbo 12m

The OPCs I spoke to could get 6 to 9 SD's a month with only 1 petrol S every two or three months.

That is why there are so many numbers of SD's.
Basic economics... the simple rule of supply and demand..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 am Nice pic, Guy. Bump into any vampires...? :shock:
I do not think that it was a case of supply and demand.

Firmly believe that the petrol models were disignated for markets like the USA where they do not have, nor does their seem plans to have the SD.

Even the Cayenne oil burners in the USA are not popular.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 am Nice pic, Guy. Bump into any vampires...? :shock:

Firmly believe that the petrol models were disignated for markets like the USA where they do not have, nor does their seem plans to have the SD.

Supply and demand... USA want petrol... U.K want diesel.....mainly due to fuel prices and economy in the relevant countries..up to now at any rate!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Sidscott wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:48 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Supply and demand... USA want petrol... U.K want diesel.....mainly due to fuel prices and economy in the relevant countries..up to now at any rate!
Porsche was pushing SDs in the UK by limiting the availability of the petrol S.

During production it is a case of putting a petrol engine or diesel with the respective gearboxes into the bodywork, there should be no reason why anyone wanting a petrol S would have to wait six months longer than one wanting a diesel.

Porsche created the market availability, it was not customer led.

I went into five OPCs, an SD they could provide in 9m, yet they all said anyones guess for a petrol S. That is not lead by demand of a particular variant it is market manipulation by Porsche.

Porsche probably wanted to shift the oil burners before the dieselgate broke for Porsche models despite them indicating at the time that all was in compliance with their oil burners.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I think it is something to do with the average emissions across all of their sales. For every car doing 20mpg they probably need to sell several doing 35mpg. European rules I think although I am not sure of the specifics. Irrelevent in USA where petrol is cheap and global warming is a myth.
Marra

Post by Marra »

Interesting debate - my twopeneth:
I don't think that Porsche created the market for diesel vs petrol. Diesel sales generally in the U.K. have been particularly strong, promoted by successive governments, because they are good for polar bears - low carbon emissions - and the British public like the low taxation and high economy. Porsche, along with most other manufacturers have ridden this wave. As mentioned, the US do not follow suit, economy is not an issue as gas is still plentiful and cheap and they don't subscribe to global warming in the way we do and therefore petrol suits them and the therefore take the lion's share of the petrol engines.

Recently, it has been "discovered" that whilst diesel cars are good for polar bears, they allegedly, kill people, through the emission of particulates and other nasties. This has resulted in a shift towards petrol engines amongst some - when I first started looking at a Macan, diesel was the obvious choice for me, no premium to pay, very similar performance and much better economy and lower taxation. However I am not comfortable now in buying diesel even though the Eur 6 engines are clean.

I don't think that pPorsche created the market for the SD - the government did.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks WingCo; no vampires but of course Sighisoara is the birthplace of Vlad the Impaler, and we did drive past Bran Castle on the way there!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Marra wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:17 pm Interesting debate - my twopeneth:
I don't think that Porsche created the market for diesel vs petrol. Diesel sales generally in the U.K. have been particularly strong, promoted by successive governments, because they are good for polar bears - low carbon emissions - and the British public like the low taxation and high economy. Porsche, along with most other manufacturers have ridden this wave. As mentioned, the US do not follow suit, economy is not an issue as gas is still plentiful and cheap and they don't subscribe to global warming in the way we do and therefore petrol suits them and the therefore take the lion's share of the petrol engines.

Recently, it has been "discovered" that whilst diesel cars are good for polar bears, they allegedly, kill people, through the emission of particulates and other nasties. This has resulted in a shift towards petrol engines amongst some - when I first started looking at a Macan, diesel was the obvious choice for me, no premium to pay, very similar performance and much better economy and lower taxation. However I am not comfortable now in buying diesel even though the Eur 6 engines are clean.

You go into any Merc, Beamer, JLR dealership and order a a specific car the wait is the same irrespective of what it under the bonnet.

Go into a Porsche dealership for a Macan and the wait period differs depending upon the engine.

How on earth is that not market manipulation by Porsche?
Col
Macan Turbo
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 am
Marra wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:17 pm Interesting debate - my twopeneth:

You go into any Merc, Beamer, JLR dealership and order a a specific car the wait is the same irrespective of what it under the bonnet.

Go into a Porsche dealership for a Macan and the wait period differs depending upon the engine.

How on earth is that not market manipulation by Porsche?
This is all going a little off topic now... the original point was extolling the virtues of the SD Macan and making the point that to date it has been the most popular variant in the range and certainly would be even if equal numbers of other variants were available to order at the same time.
Most traditional Porsche customers who want a performance petrol engined vehicle would not be ordering an SUV.