Marks On Grill & Plastic Side Trim

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Following a trip to the seaside I noticed white marks on my front grill and the plastic trim that runs down either side of the car below the doors.

I have tried washing this off but when it dries the marks reappear.

Whilst I didn't take the car on the beach or in the sea I am wondering whether these marks have something to do with the region I was in and the sea air.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Grill.jpg

Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver

happy days

Post by happy days »

I live beside the sea and don't have these type of marks on my car. No idea what could have caused that - is it a discolouration or a coating ?
Macan S D
718 S
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

happy days wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:30 pm I live beside the sea and don't have these type of marks on my car. No idea what could have caused that - is it a discolouration or a coating ?
I'm not sure what it is. When I first washed the areas it looked as though it was removed but the marks reappeared once dried.

Before I went away I had it professionally valeted and the car looked fine. I can't say whether the grill / side plastics looked like this after the valet and only noticed when I got back. The valet assures me that no wax or polish was used on these areas (why would you?) so I'm at a loss to understand what's happened.

He's coming back to have a look at it and hopefully remove.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

HI Barry,

Looking at the picture it does appear to be related to something the car has been washed with.
If you look closely you will see part of the camera side has some on it too but not all of it.

I would be amazed if that happened over a number of years let alone a short while. For me it looks like its some kind of polish / wax which the plastic clearly doesn't like.
It really doesn't seem to be linked to the coast imo and i have been to the coast a number of times in many different cars with no issues.

is there any evidence of it on sideblades or other plastics?
GTS πŸ˜€
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Was there any sun cream near the car - lethal stuff!!! Some little toddler putting hands all over your grille perhaps??
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

yes that sun cream is a real bugger to eliminate from car paint or trim
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:14 pm HI Barry,

Looking at the picture it does appear to be related to something the car has been washed with.
If you look closely you will see part of the camera side has some on it too but not all of it.

I would be amazed if that happened over a number of years let alone a short while. For me it looks like its some kind of polish / wax which the plastic clearly doesn't like.
It really doesn't seem to be linked to the coast imo and i have been to the coast a number of times in many different cars with no issues.

Hi Kas,

I now don't believe it's anything to do with salt or the sea air. I have since established that the plastics were dressed and I'm more inclined to believe this has reacted to the plastic.

The valeter is coming out to take a look and hopefully it will be resolved.

The markings are down both sides of the car where the plastic trim sits below the door sills.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

MCDK wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm Was there any sun cream near the car - lethal stuff!!! Some little toddler putting hands all over your grille perhaps??
Definitely no sun cream and the only kid in my house is me! :lol:
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Bazza06 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:16 pm
Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:14 pm HI Barry,

Hi Kas,

I now don't believe it's anything to do with salt or the sea air. I have since established that the plastics were dressed and I'm more inclined to believe this has reacted to the plastic.

The valeter is coming out to take a look and hopefully it will be resolved.

The markings are down both sides of the car where the plastic trim sits below the door sills.
Its the only logical explanation. The fact it was done a short while before you went away also would indicate this.
Something has not agreed with the plastics.. Interesting to know the outcome and hope it gets all resolved.
GTS πŸ˜€
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Try some aerospace 303 protectant......... cleared up similar marks on my 997 a treat...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/303-Products-M ... protectant

You can get the spray or a tub of wipes.......
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris