3 months in - Macan S Petrol and squeaky brakes

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
IainSmith

Post by IainSmith »

Love the car.... However two things are now annoying me.

1, In the past couple of weeks the front brakes at slow speed squeak on braking.
2, Since the first month of having the car, the engine at idle has a 'rattling' type noise from the engine bay, but can be heard within the cabin.

Well on the first point, ive rang Porsche Leeds today, and was told its in my handbook about brake squeaking. And this is due to the disc and pads being high performance and if trundling around on short journeys, film collects on the discs which causes the squeaking... they said go out of a give the car a run and brake hard a few times???? (Have I just been fobbed off???)

On the second point, its been back to the dealership for the day and they say they cant hear the noise yet when im in the car I can hear it..Im starting to think the rattling is in my head..

The car is 3 months old with 2000 miles on the client, surely I should not be expected to take 6 months of usage off the discs by breaking hard so that the squeaking stops?

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I would agree with the brakes treatment, ours does it too.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
happy days

Post by happy days »

They all do that sir...
Macan S D
718 S
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Yep, can also confirm that.

Doesn't need much to cure it, just check your mirrors and give it a hard stop on a clear road.

It's not really an issue, as the OPC says, they are high performance brakes.

BigPhil
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Echo others comments about cycling the brakes a few times by hard stops.

The rattle could very well be the engine mounts, it is or rather was a pretty common problem

Can I suggest that next time it happens you use yourmobile phone to take a video of the sound from inside the car, if you can raise the bonnet and take another video of the engine itself.

Then either show the OPC or post them on Youtube and send a link to the OPC.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Brakes - as per the dealership and other comments on here. A few hard heat cycles (50 mph to around 10mph as hard as you can 3 or 4 times then leave to cool before stopping)
Rattle - insist on going out with the technician doing the job; he won’t hear what you hear and vica-versa unless you’re both in the car together.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Some advise which may be relevant.
Squeaky brakes - I had this on previous cars and solution worked for me below.
If you wash your own car once finished take it for a drive to dry the brakes off properly. I always do this (takes 2 mins).
The solution Porsche has given you is what seems to have solved it for most others but i have never had it since i do the above procedure. Mine does lots of short journeys.,.

There is a thread about rattles and this could be the under the steering wheel near the peddles where the metal is vibrating against the plastic.
Little bit of tape / double sided pad resolves this. It can sound like it is coming from the engine bay....

Some posts regarding some of the issues which you may find solutions too. Hope these helps.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1949&hilit=creaks+and+noises
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6320&hilit=annoying+creaking
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5985&p=125282&hili ... ng#p125282
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4954&p=106598&hili ... rd#p106598
GTS 😀
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Problem with a drive after is that you can’t then put a drying cloth near the car as it will have picked up road grime and dust.

An Aeolus dog dryer is the answer!!
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

MCDK wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:19 pm Problem with a drive after is that you can’t then put a drying cloth near the car as it will have picked up road grime and dust.

I have a pet dryer which I got from eBay for £50 which I use and is brilliant. The wife thinks I am nuts 😊. Actually is one of the best things I have purchased for drying the cars.

It’s a gentle drive that’s all afterwards.
Last edited by Kasfranks99 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTS 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

MCDK wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:19 pm Problem with a drive after is that you can’t then put a drying cloth near the car as it will have picked up road grime and dust.

I tried the 'drive after' approach a couple of times after washing my 911. Trouble was that the drive 'around the block' resulted in some mucky residue from the wheels/brakes transferring itself to the insides of the newly cleaned rims of the 20" Carrera S wheels... :(
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018