New Tesla Roadster

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:19 am
Dandock wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 am its either a brilliant future or the shell trick!
Regardless of whether or not Tesla survive long enough to produce this car (I believe they will at this point), the more important point is that a car like this can really exist. I have no doubt that the mind-blowing performance is real. For me the only question mark is how much does it weigh with a 200 kWh battery? In other words does it handle as well as it goes in a straight line? My guess is that it's no lightweight, but not ridiculously heavy either for a road car. The CofG will be extremely low too, so overall I expect it can dance pretty well (if not the best) but on road the staggering performance and traction will blow everyone's mind anyway. I for one would love to drive this thing!
I read a post online where the very topic of the stability if Tesla was asked.

The guy responding said that Elon Musk is the golden boy who can do no wrong, all he has to do is ask and the creditors are lining up to put money in his pocket.

Added that the lack of profit in the short term in the car business was not even worth considering.

All credit to Musk for giving the industry not just a boot up the rear but a whole factory production run of Doc Martens up their collective asses.

Lets hope the Tesla Sports car makes it to production as per the unveiled model and it does not become screwed like the Mission E, not that the E is poor it is not what was initially shown.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

DandyDon

Post by DandyDon »

Haven't they just done a photocopy of the Mission e and made a few tweeks? I thought it was only the Chinese who were into this sleight of hand?

Porsche for me every time.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:19 am
Dandock wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 am its either a brilliant future or the shell trick!
Regardless of whether or not Tesla survive long enough to produce this car (I believe they will at this point), the more important point is that a car like this can really exist. I have no doubt that the mind-blowing performance is real. For me the only question mark is how much does it weigh with a 200 kWh battery? In other words does it handle as well as it goes in a straight line? My guess is that it's no lightweight, but not ridiculously heavy either for a road car. The CofG will be extremely low too, so overall I expect it can dance pretty well (if not the best) but on road the staggering performance and traction will blow everyone's mind anyway. I for one would love to drive this thing!
I read a post online where the very topic of the stability if Tesla was asked.

The guy responding said that Elon Musk is the golden boy who can do no wrong, all he has to do is ask and the creditors are lining up to put money in his pocket.

Added that the lack of profit in the short term in the car business was not even worth considering.
Maybe not such a dead cert!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla ... 2017-11-10
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

DandyDon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm Porsche for me every time.

+1. Mission E for me too, all day long. 8-)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 pm Lets hope the Tesla Sports car makes it to production as per the unveiled model and it does not become screwed like the Mission E, not that the E is poor it is not what was initially shown.

It's impossible to say that, Col. Until the disguise/camouflage is fully removed, it's all guesswork. I bet that the Mission E is a stunner when it is fully unveiled in all its glory, and that it won't look too dissimilar to the 2015 concept. :ugeek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:10 pm
DandyDon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm Porsche for me every time.

+1. Mission E for me too, all day long. 8-)
Ohhh absolutely. That would be a very easy decision for me 😀

It is a nice Tesla red though 😏
GTS 😀
VanB

Post by VanB »

Let's not forget that Tesla has given the EV market credibility, provided high performance vehicles with a usable range and led the way in innovation. Whilst this is all true they currently make American cars so are a little compromised in that respect. I wouldn't bet against them upping their game when some mainstream manufacturers start to come on line with their offerings.

You would hope that at $200k+ the new offering might be finished a bit better than their current crop!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:53 am
Virage11 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:35 am
Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 am I thought you said they were £500K base price, or was that some special edition?
That was the Vanquish Zagato special in the picture - limited run, a bit like a 911 Speedster.

If they had been asking £20k deposit, I would have probably gone for it.

£50k is both a lot of money full-stop, a lot of money to lose if Tesla goes under, but also is an oddly high number (Ferrari deposits are "only" £20k for cars of a similar list price) which makes me wonder if this is just a way of grabbing additional funds and less about the feasibility of production.
I agree it is a large deposit, but no doubt aimed at serious Tesla fanboys with deep pockets. Probably people who have also bought significant shares in the company. It's also something genuinely different from the usual new hypercar offerings. This is the first hypercar that has sparked my own interest since the original McLaren F1. I'm sure that Vanquish Zagato is a lovely car and beautifully crafted, but to me it looks like mutton dressed as a Thunderbird rather than something relevant and fresh.
Whether or not the money is in the bank to place this deposit is moot. Tesla is a bankrupt ponzi scheme as far as I'm concerned. 50k will prop up their books and will leave the depositor thinking WTF happened when "eventually" the walls cave in. Which car company has had so many well documented production issues and has not gone into chapter 11??
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
andreas

Post by andreas »

Nosmo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 pm Whether or not the money is in the bank to place this deposit is moot. Tesla is a bankrupt ponzi scheme as far as I'm concerned. 50k will prop up their books and will leave the depositor thinking WTF happened when "eventually" the walls cave in. Which car company has had so many well documented production issues and has not gone into chapter 11??
Tesla is an extraordinary company, so may not fit well with conventional ideas of commercial success. By any standards, the Tesla S was an amazing achievement. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, if it weren't for the fact that my wife thinks they're too big. No idea why they can't get the Model 3 churning out, but (rather like Porsche) they're in the happy position of being able to sell everything they can produce.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

andreas wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Nosmo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 pm Whether or not the money is in the bank to place this deposit is moot. Tesla is a bankrupt ponzi scheme as far as I'm concerned. 50k will prop up their books and will leave the depositor thinking WTF happened when "eventually" the walls cave in. Which car company has had so many well documented production issues and has not gone into chapter 11??
Tesla is an extraordinary company, so may not fit well with conventional ideas of commercial success. By any standards, the Tesla S was an amazing achievement. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, if it weren't for the fact that my wife thinks they're too big. No idea why they can't get the Model 3 churning out, but (rather like Porsche) they're in the happy position of being able to sell everything they can produce.
... when they can produce it!

Musk may be flavour of the month with some undoubtedly original and exciting funding plans but he surely must start to deliver. Model S in clearly successful and seismic albeit selling in a limited market. Model X is currently plagued with problems and Model 3 is... who knows! He cannot keep fudging it on these two key products no matter how much money he has. There must be a point when the market gets p1ssed off and he has to start delivering - but who knows where that is?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀