GTS - 17,000 mile report

All your ordering information here!
Tailpipe

Post by Tailpipe »

I took delivery of my Macan GTS in September 2016. I've since done close to 17,000 miles travelling all over the UK and Europe.

Spec is volcano grey with LED lights, air suspension, full sports seats in black leather, carbon interior, surround cameras, and large petrol tank.

It was my first Porsche. I came to the Macan after previously owning an Audi RS3 and BMW M3. So, impressions...

In two words: humungously satisfying.

Like most of you, I had wanted to get a 911,, but my wife insisted that we have a practical car. She wanted an SUV, I wanted a sports car. With the Macan, we both got our way.

When I told her that we would be getting a Macan, she was furious. Now we've had it for more than a year she loves it... almost too much, so we fight over who drives it.

Dynamically, there is really nothing to touch this car within its own class and many other classes besides. It goes and goes and goes. Been to Italy and Switzerland and back to the UK in it. It just chews-up the miles and spits them out. The seats are so adjustable and comfortable that you don't feel any ill-effects, even after 8 hours in the driving seat. Never experienced that in a car before. Positioning of the pedals and other controls is ergonomically perfect. The sheer amount of thought and engineering excellence that has gone into every detail is mind-blowing.

The front is extremely comfortable. You can genuinely hold a conversation at 80 mph. The inside is very well cocooned from the outside world. Having three teenage kids, I was a bit worried about the back being too small, but there is enough room and they've never complained. The smallest goes in the middle without a problem.

The boot is cavernous.

The supple ride is what makes this car so comfortable. It sucks up humps and bumps with nonchalance. Even on the firmest setting, it never jars like the RS3 did. It takes a major obstacle to upset the GTS's composure on just about any surface.

As you probably know, the Air Suspension option has three suspension / accelerator settings: Normal, Sport and Sport Plus. Even in Normal mode, the engine is massively responsive. It's happy to cruise at low revs, but when you need it to go a bit harder, it obligingly kicks-down and gets stuck-in. In sport mode, there is a Jekyll and Hyde transformation. The GTS blows away Range-Rovers and lesser hatchbacks with ease. In Sport Plus, however, it becomes truly savage. The grin factor is 11 out of 10. You don't need it for most journeys. But when you want to push on, select Sport Plus and hang-on. You usually run out of road before you run out of power. You will get out-dragged by cars with larger V-8 engines, but they'll have to work very hard for their moment of glory. The GTS is proper quick. For a car approaching 2 tonnes it is outrageously capable. After driving both the GTS and Turbo, I can't see why anyone would want the Turbo instead. Not a lot more usable power, but a lot higher fuel consumption.

Keep the GTS's revs under 2,000 rpm and you'll see 28-32 mpg. Between 2000-3000 rpm, you'll get 22-24 mpg, once you go above 3,000 revs, consumption can dip well below 16-18 mpg. I would strongly recommend optioning the larger 80-litre petrol tank. especially if you do long distance trips.

Living in Central London, the Macan is not too large despite its larger capacity and dimensions. Having the surround cameras really helps parking and has protected the car from kerbing the alloys.

The LED lights are great and dip automatically, which I really like. They make driving at night easier and safer.

The SatNav is great and works well with Apple CarPlay. To be honest, though, the system does select daft routes from time to time. If you're planning a long journey via an unknown road always check Google Maps - it is by far the most reliable navigation system.

In summary, I rate the Macon GTS very highly. It still looks and feels like a brand new car. Every time you get into this vehicle it creates a sense of occasion. It never fails to put a smile on your face. And it gives you an extraordinary sense of safety, security and money well spent. I can't see myself ever owning any other brand of car than Porsche.

happy days

Post by happy days »

Nice one. My pal has a GTS and I'm rather jealous of it. But at 26k since January, I'm a bit high mileage for a petrol car. We'll probably do in the region of 30-35k miles a year. Belfast has a GTS coming on as a demo and I have been promised it for a weekend to try it out.

I wonder what the residuals on a three year old 100k McCann would be? Even an SD?
Macan S D
718 S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice write-up, thanks for taking the timeπŸ‘

Mirrors my slightly shorter (1st sept 2016 / 14000 mile) experience and thoughts
(although Col will no doubt put you right regarding the Turbo!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

It is a lovely car for sure and hugely capable. I too am a massive fan of the LED lights and also of the air suspension.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Great write up, Tailpipe. You quite like your Macan GTS then...? :lol:

Similar to you, after buying a Macan (in my case, the humble 2.0) I can not imagine not driving a Porsche. Have since bought a 911 and now in a Panamera.

Next stop, Mission E :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Great write up and you have done some serious miles in that time πŸ‘

Agree completely that dynamically there is nothing as good as the Macan.
And the only SUV I have driven that is a close to a sports car that isn’t a sports car 😳

The whole Porsche experience imo is excellent and they really want to keep you in the brand.
They have all the products I need and more to come too.

Happy driving πŸ‘
GTS πŸ˜€
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Hi thanks for a great write up. Glad you are enjoying your GTS.

Don't think you're right about relative fuel economy vis GTS vs turbo. Fuelly suggests there is nothing much to choose between any of the petrol Macans apart from the 2 litre. They're all incredibly thirsty. The ten 2017 GTSs on fuelly are averaging 19.6mpg, the four turbos 19.5
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Also what I found on my like for like test drive...GTS/Turbo.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Great report.

Glad you are exstatic with your GTS
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great review πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘